Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft: #23 - LD Pierre-Olivier Joseph

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
2016-17 Team: Charlottetown Islanders (#15)
Date of Birth: Jul. 1, 1999
Place of Birth: Chambly, QC
Ht: 6'2 Wt: 160 lbs
Shoots: Left
Position: D

Pierre-Olivier-Joseph.jpg

Ranked #33 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #34 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #50 by Future Considerations
Ranked #38 by McKeen's Hockey
Ranked #27 by NHL Central Scouting (NA Skaters)
Ranked #33 by TSN/McKenzie

It's hard to say where Joseph will be picked in the NHL. Projecting as a top-four shutdown defender with underlying offensive instinct, Joseph could see himself taken in the first round by a team looking for a project. It wouldn't be surprising to see Joseph taken in the late first-round or somewhere in the mid-second round, ranging from pick 20 to pick 50. While he probably won't make the NHL right away, Joseph has the ability to be a core piece on a team's blueline once he develops into a more well-rounded defender and gains some size. His increase in offense from year one to year two was noticeable, jumping from one goal and eight points in 48 games to six goals and 39 points in 62 games. With time to improve, Joseph could make a team very happy should he slide to them in the second round.

http://thehockeywriters.com/pierre-olivier-joseph-2017-nhl-draft-prospect-profile/

Basically all of this is to say that there is a reason why P.O. Joseph is in the conversation as a second round pick and the others from the QMJHL will likely have to wait much longer on day two to hear their names called. Joesph has a complete skill set that can be attractive to teams. If he isn't able to take that step as an offensive defenceman, he has the defensive chops and physical game to be a stay at home guy who can move the puck to the forwards.

https://oilersnation.com/2017/05/26/nation-network-prospect-profile-55-pierre-olivier-joseph/

Joseph projects to be a top four defenceman, if he can continue to refine his game. He must get stronger in battles, improve the power in his shot, and make further refinements to his game. He is a raw talent, but one who could make an impact if he is developed properly. Joseph's style is reminiscent of Ryan Suter of the Minnesota Wild. This is a stylistic comparison only though, and not a talent based one.

http://lastwordonsports.com/2017/05/14/pierre-olivier-joseph-scouting-report-2017-nhl-draft-46/

�Intriguing prospect. Wears �A�. Big mobile defender, no fun to play against. Plays a two-way game, but looks like he will develop into more of a shutdown physical defensive defender at next level.� � ISS

A qualitative jump in his all around play has hurtled him upward into the first round discussions. A player who always looked solid as an improving defender but who this season has gained scads of confidence in his ability to be a key component in the attack. Displays mobility and excellent hockey sense, and has that feel for where play is going before it does. Breaks up rushes and plays in his end with a good stick and strong recognition. A power play quarterback whose frame will allow him to get bigger and as he gets stronger, he will add more mustard to the heat he can bring from the point. His brother, Mathieu, was a Tampa Bay draft pick.

--Bill Placzek--

Last edited:

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Here's our bloodlines pick this year. Brother of Mathieu Joseph.

Can't be angry with this pick. Hopefully Timmins or Jokiharju are still there at 35 though.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Another lefty? :huh:

All even half decent rightys gone. Shouldn't have traded the 7th overall if we wanted a RD.

Rags didn't need the 7th overall to select their Andersson anyway:laugh:
Easily would have been available at 21:D

Such a waste of picks today:cry:

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
All even half decent rightys gone. Shouldn't have traded the 7th overall if we wanted a RD.

Rags didn't need the 7th overall to select their Andersson anyway:laugh:
Easily would have been available at 21:D

Such a waste of picks today:cry:

Andersson was a late climber up draft rankings, he wouldn't have been there at 21, maybe not at 15.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He wouldn't have been there at #35 so I'm fine with the pick. Quality prospect with lots of upside potential.

I'm going to trust the scouts at the moment, but with a raised eyebrow...

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
A write up about Joeseph from a poster on the main board, edguy, who resides in Charlottetown.

Theres no major holes in this guys game. He can do it all smooth mobile skater, high hockey IQ, very solid defensively, passionate, and one thing scouts and management is going to love is his character and leadership ability (yes intangibles). This guy can bring a locker room together, which is very important. Hes been doing it im Charlottetown for a year and a half now. He will be captain in Charlottetown next year hands down, and wouldnt be shocked to see him where a letter in the NHL one day.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I guess I'm looking forward to seeing him at prospect camp. Doesn't seem very exciting, but as long as he's a good player who gives a ****.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Big growth spurt this season. Late bloomer. His brother had a big breakout season after being drafted. I expect a similar step forward from P-O.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I'm good with the pick, just draft centers and D, trade for the wings you need. Not who I'd have picked but most of the players I had interest at 23 were off the board. Hague would have been my choice though.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Can't say I'm not a little disappointed. I didn't scout him, so I don't know much about him, but with Tolvanen, Vesalainen and Poehling on the board, it would have been nice to get one of those players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad