23-24 Load Management Thread

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I was thinking more along the lines of needing to play DeSmith more to preserve Demko, but I figure this thread can be used to talk about other players as well.

I suppose the rationale would be that DeSmith will start against St. Louis giving Demko a long break (although he's playing in the ASG). Today's game against Chicago is a perfect example of a game in which DeSmith could/should have started. Demko played the last game and Chicago is the second worst team and goal scoring team in the league.

Demko has now started in in 34 out of 47 games. Assuming DeSmith starts the next game, Demko is on pace to play 58 games. He is tied for 3rd (with 4 others) in starts/games played. DeSmith has been good so Demko has managed to rest on his scheduled games off.

I don't know what the Canucks' target is for Demko and I haven't looked at the schedule down the stretch but personally I would to see Demko at just under 55 games.

Hammman

Apr 3, 2010
I was thinking more along the lines of needing to play DeSmith more to preserve Demko, but I figure this thread can be used to talk about other players as well.

I suppose the rationale would be that DeSmith will start against St. Louis giving Demko a long break (although he's playing in the ASG). Today's game against Chicago is a perfect example of a game in which DeSmith could/should have started. Demko played the last game and Chicago is the second worst team and goal scoring team in the league.

Demko has now started in in 34 out of 47 games. Assuming DeSmith starts the next game, Demko is on pace to play 58 games. He is tied for 3rd (with 4 others) in starts/games played. DeSmith has been good so Demko has managed to rest on his scheduled games off.

I don't know what the Canucks' target is for Demko and I haven't looked at the schedule down the stretch but personally I would to see Demko at just under 55 games.
Media members were suggesting that they might have played Demko tonight as a reaction to the team's poor play against Toronto.

Reactions: F A N

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I think Demko gets the start against St Louis. Gives Demko a longer break and DeSmith another shot against Columbus.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
It's weird that squad rotation is such a foreign concept to North American sportspeople that they actually had to invent a new term to describe something well-known and kind of obvious. And I really, really wish the Canucks would do it more than they do. In the Canucks' good seasons, year after year, the team was inevitably worn down by the time the playoffs rolled around.

Ian Cole in particular seems like a guy who could rest a bit more often, and it would have been nice to keep Friedman involved every so often as long as he's up.

Reactions: bh53 and F A N

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
34 to 14 is the start splits so far through 48 games.
Pacing for 58 starts at this rate. I would not be upset if RT goes back to DeSmith for CBS given that Demko doesn’t get the same break as the others (along with the other 4) due to the ASG.

I would target Demko for 55 starts this season. Just make sure he’s rested before the PO begin as the team will need him.

At some point not worrying about seeding is needed if you plan on resting some guys. Good thing about having that super long homestand in March is that they get to rest up a bit.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
It's weird that squad rotation is such a foreign concept to North American sportspeople that they actually had to invent a new term to describe something well-known and kind of obvious. And I really, really wish the Canucks would do it more than they do. In the Canucks' good seasons, year after year, the team was inevitably worn down by the time the playoffs rolled around.

Ian Cole in particular seems like a guy who could rest a bit more often, and it would have been nice to keep Friedman involved every so often as long as he's up.
Probably less so now with the "load management" given to Kawhi Leonard during that epic Raptors season.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

I suppose it’s also the nature of the sport. In soccer, basketball, and even baseball it seems more acceptable to rest your starters when the team is up. It’s harder to do so and less common in the NHL. But then again in other sports those are situations where your star player likely already put up a lot of “points” so the star player that sits doesn’t mind too much.

Petey and Hughes probably wouldn’t be too happy regularly playing 10-13 minutes or sitting out games down the stretch. Even Cole, though understanding, isn’t happy about it. There are awards and future contracts at stake.

I think in a situation where the player is in a good place career and money wise and wants to win will he be fine sitting out (such as joining the team for the playoffs for cap reasons).

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Damn it! I wasn't going to say anything but...

Will you swallow the entire load?

1630994110718.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad