Post-Game Talk: #23 - 11/27/19 | hurricanes @ RANGERS | 7:00 - MSG

Three Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaapo Hollweg

Jun 21, 2019
C’mon... that’d be GoT. HUGE difference! :)
Actually, it's neither. ASOIAF (A Song of Ice and Fire) is correct. I pretend GoT does not exist since about 2016. As a book reader, I started hating it before it was cool. Now try to out-nerd me.

Anyway, I thought Chytil was fantastic and easily could have had a multi-point game. Gave him the third star ahead of Panarin.

Reactions: ColonialsHockey10

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
great win.

still tooooo many shots givn up. we legit hemorrhage shots against. its killing us.

this defense system is flawed and i would start with lindy ruff. this doesnt seem to be working. the bend dont break thing is gonna cost us and its not because we are young or rebuilding or whatever, its because we dont limit dangerous chances and give up t0o many shots against

i saw it live and in person last weekend in ottawa and montreal on our canadian weekend. too many shots against. its like 40 shots every night. yeeesh.

fix it.

and happy thanksgiving to all my fellow asylum members.....

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
So the Rangers are now on a 93 point pace. And I expect the team will be better during the second half of the season when the young players have more experience. For the record, I’m not sure I expect much of a deadline shuffle.

Just sayin...

you hope that the kids are better in the 2nd half...and if we are winning games cause chytil, kakko, fox, lindgren, hajek, etc are all contributing and playing well than that is your best case scenario for the season, 2020 pick be damned...

but you do also have to remember the 'wall' some of these kids have never played this many games before and hit a point that they typically struggle. will that happen with a guy like fox? it will be interesting to see how the kids handle the grind of a long season...

and we also need to consider how we are winning games...there have been plenty of wins that we were not the better team. we got awesome goaltending and timely scoring. I know that they say that you are what your record says you are. but I think we've overachieved in terms of wins vs what the team actually is at this point...can that be sustain? i hope so cause its been fun to watch.

Gresch04

Feb 12, 2009
great win.

still tooooo many shots givn up. we legit hemorrhage shots against. its killing us.

this defense system is flawed and i would start with lindy ruff. this doesnt seem to be working. the bend dont break thing is gonna cost us and its not because we are young or rebuilding or whatever, its because we dont limit dangerous chances and give up t0o many shots against

i saw it live and in person last weekend in ottawa and montreal on our canadian weekend. too many shots against. its like 40 shots every night. yeeesh.

fix it.

and happy thanksgiving to all my fellow asylum members.....

Ruff coaches D like he has 6 Staal's out there. Doesn't adapt his system to the current talent.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Chytil next to Panarin was awesome but seriously everyone next to Panarin is awesome.

Having said that I thought Strome was not nearly as good on the wing.

if you’re dead set on keeping Mika and Panarin separate then give Kakko a real top end center in Chytil and strengthen the group as a whole down the middle.

certainly not crazy about Fast continuing to play in the top 6 but if you aren’t ready to elevate Kakko that’s what I’d do.

of course I’d load the top line with Panarin Mika Kakko then run 20 72 89 as the second line with how good they’ve been. then Lemieux Strome Fast as the third line.

Bottom line we’re a better team with 4 good centers.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Chytil should have played center. Mind numbingly stupid to move him to wing with how he’s been playing there. And to accommodate Howden rather than give Kakko some talent to work with? Just stupid.

Fox was excellent again. Such a gem.

Good win against a good team but some dumb decisions lineup wise.

Edit: to quote Dr. Tobias Fünke: “I feel like a ****ing idiot” could have sworn Chytil was playing RW but I was distracted watching to some degree

largely agree
we need to try to bundle Lias as soon as we can create a half decent offer and commit with Howden. But I want to max situation, see if we can pry Nylander from TOR for his RW, Athan. from DET for his LW. If not both, get at least one and, once we clear a lot of cap space (Buch, Strome, Skjei) and extend Kreider, give Taylor Hall something to think about.

Reactions: Turbosperg

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I've noticed, Panarin seems to keep catching his linemates off-guard with passes.

I hope he stays with a set line for the foreseeable future, so they can gel. Perfect example was last nights 3 on 2. Chytil was setup beautifully in the high slot, I dont believe he was 'expecting' it, I'd hope he learn to snap it off quickly, while the goalie is not set.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
largely agree
we need to try to bundle Lias as soon as we can create a half decent offer and commit with Howden. But I want to max situation, see if we can pry Nylander from TOR for his RW, Athan. from DET for his LW. If not both, get at least one and, once we clear a lot of cap space (Buch, Strome, Skjei) and extend Kreider, give Taylor Hall something to think about.

Dear god man.....

giphy.gif

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I've noticed, Panarin seems to keep catching his linemates off-guard with passes.

I hope he stays with a set line for the foreseeable future, so they can gel. Perfect example was last nights 3 on 2. Chytil was setup beautifully in the high slot, I dont believe he was 'expecting' it, I'd hope he learn to snap it off quickly, while the goalie is not set.

Oh I don’t know I think Chytil was expecting it got a good shot off high blocker Mrazek made a hell of a save. That play looked pretty flawless except for the finish. But yes they definitely got better as the game went on. Panarin could turn Chytil into a star no doubt. Strome little jealous on the right side lol

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
and we also need to consider how we are winning games...there have been plenty of wins that we were not the better team. we got awesome goaltending and timely scoring. I know that they say that you are what your record says you are. but I think we've overachieved in terms of wins vs what the team actually is at this point...can that be sustain? i hope so cause its been fun to watch.
Typically wins before the turn of the year are easier to come by it you are truly NOT a good team, and will find wins difficult to bet when playoff bound GOOD teams are digging their skates in the ice and positioning themselves for home ice etc.
If play "falls off" from the kids due to inexperience with "the grind", then we may be looking at 3-2 losses, opposed to these nice wins lately.
We all may be fooled into thinking this team is PO bound, but there is a distinct possibility that we drop like a heavy rock when the going gets really tough. I am okay with that PROVIDING they are giving it their all, and learning as they go along. Going to have to play "tougher" to keep up with the rest of the league as they turn it up a notch or 2. We will get to see all of that in due time. In the meantime......
You have to LOVE the overall "battling" mentality this team has, and it all starts with Quinn and what he "expects", and obviously on the ice coming from Hank and all that he provides each and every game he plays.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
invoking the Almighty will not change the meritless, ad hominum nature of your retort.
Look at Panarin’s contract. Kreider’s next contract. Nylander’s contract. And then what Hall’s next contract will be.

Look at what the cost will be to retain our guys like Fox, ADA, Chytil and Kakko.

It’s simple math. As usual your ideas suck and make zero sense. But you have yourself a great Thanksgiving.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
Oh I don’t know I think Chytil was expecting it got a good shot off high blocker Mrazek made a hell of a save. That play looked pretty flawless except for the finish. But yes they definitely got better as the game went on. Panarin could turn Chytil into a star no doubt. Strome little jealous on the right side lol
In that instance, if he just got it off quickly, I think he beats him. Same thing happened with Kakko, I feel it was 2 games ago, on the PP. It doesn't need to be a perfect shot.

"Just be ready to shoot. " is what Panarin should be telling his linemates.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Chytil next to Panarin was awesome but seriously everyone next to Panarin is awesome.

Having said that I thought Strome was not nearly as good on the wing.

if you’re dead set on keeping Mika and Panarin separate then give Kakko a real top end center in Chytil and strengthen the group as a whole down the middle.

certainly not crazy about Fast continuing to play in the top 6 but if you aren’t ready to elevate Kakko that’s what I’d do.

of course I’d load the top line with Panarin Mika Kakko then run 20 72 89 as the second line with how good they’ve been. then Lemieux Strome Fast as the third line.

Bottom line we’re a better team with 4 good centers.

We're a better team when our best players play like our best players and play more than guys who aren't as good as them.

It isn't happening enough, but we're getting there.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
In that instance, if he just got it off quickly, I think he beats him. Same thing happened with Kakko, I feel it was 2 games ago, on the PP. It doesn't need to be a perfect shot.

"Just be ready to shoot. " is what Panarin should be telling his linemates.

definitley agreed on that one. Kakko should have one timed that one for sure.

I think he was trying to do that thing where he gets to the middle quick and shoot and just didn’t handle it cleanly.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Look at Panarin’s contract. Kreider’s next contract. Nylander’s contract. And then what Hall’s next contract will be.

Look at what the cost will be to retain our guys like Fox, ADA, Chytil and Kakko.

It’s simple math. As usual your ideas suck and make zero sense. But you have yourself a great Thanksgiving.

My math is correct. Yours is not.

We sell high on Strome, ADA
higher end of market on Buch
possibly Rykov as a sweetener, depends

market value on Skjei

discount or market on Andersson

allow expire or pay to move dep on cost, Staal and Smith

do not renew Haley, Beleskey and the like

Hank comes off the books but he stays at league min for as long as he can play w/out embarrassing himself/hurting us. He does that b'c he's made many millions, loves NYC, and wants to continue pursuit of NHL records here, + have benefit of Allaire here + be logical candidate to replace older Allaire when he decides to retire.

Slide Shesty 9 games taste of NHL, retain elc

If not acquired in trade, obtain schlub at close to min for exposing in ep draft.

Hulska in view, Wall also.

We are fully covered in net.
Move those guys and our only big # on defense is Trouba.

Kreider will do 6.2 x 5 or close to that, not 7 x 7 elsewhere, unless GMJG gets greedy. We may trade him after 3 or so yrs, maybe, maybe not, but that does not jam us up long term.

Assuming his current level of play continues, Zib will want, deserve and get a big raise, but closer to 8 than 10. Doable.

Nylander is cheaper than Buch + Skjei, and way cheaper than bigger contract Buch +. Nylander also locked in for term.

AA would command an increase but short term that is not a crazy #.

The x factor who would be expensive is Hall. But that would depend on where he wants to play, who can afford him, and who looks like they can win the Cup.
I would not give Hall long term, but I would do a max of 10.5 x 4, which is more than competitive, and if we add Kravtsov to other developing players here, improving D, etc., he might say our shot at cup is less than 3-5 other clubs, but adequately sufficient. He likely would be looking at possible linemates, and 2 of 3 of Nylander, Howden, AA offer speed and complement his game.

As usual, your jibes at me are out of context, or in this case, just plain wrong. This is esp if the guys we trade get picks/prospects/expiring contracts in return.

I am tempted to give you a stronger comeuppance, but not today.
Thanksgiving wishes to you in the same degree you'd have them for me, maybe even more so.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
I cant even conceive of the idea that that is the thought process. So we wouldn't have to cough up big bucks for him come contract time? I have to believe there is a future contract already in place. He took what they could afford with a promise attached.
If your scenario is the case, then why play him on 2PP at all? Or, better yet...... maybe even bench him?
I am so intrigued by a Fox/Tony pairing. How dynamic would that be when we NEED a goal? Using them in O.T. was brilliant, not sure if that was planned but doesnt really matter.
Yea the contract is the issue. DeAngelo is my favorite player, and I would keep him at almost any cost, but I also want enough space for Lemieux and maybe Kreider. Agreed. Fox-ADA could be interesting.

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO
Just watched the game.
  • Another flat out stupid performance by Hank. This team needs to bear down and get this man a shutout. He deserves it with the way he's been keeping us in games all season. Yes, he's not at his peak anymore, but the guy is still elite.
  • I have no words for Adam Fox. I thought he had a "down" stretch for about three or four games, wherein he still put up points and was a huge net positive for us. And against CAR he returns to his "usual self" and just dominates. Makar will win the Calder barring any injuries or anything unforeseen, but Fox (at this rate) will earn himself a Calder finalist spot and rightly so.
  • Panarin. The most amazing thing about this guy to me is how consistent he's been. We've had stars on this team that, like most stars in the league, have been great but streaky scorers (e.g., Gaborik, Nash). Panarin just constantly racks up 1 point here, 2 points there, 1 point the next night. I don't expect he'll continue at this rate all season, but it's so unbelievably valuable to have one of the very, very few guys in the league that can be counted on to put up at least a point or two on most nights.
  • I haven't read the whole thread, but I saw a few people mention Lindgren. I came into this thread with the plan of bringing him up. He gets my vote for best Ranger of the season who has never been a star on any given night. That is to say, night in & night out you get the same solid hockey from him. He looks like the quintessential modern defensive D-man: he can still skate, move the puck, make plays in the offensive zone, but he's just so damn solid in his own end. I see a lot of Sauer in him, but a more modern Sauer. His understated performance also reminds me or Danny G back after his call-up in 06-07. Just solid, solid hockey. Nothing spectacular, but this guy settling things down for us on the back end. Before the year I would have said he was tracking to be a 6/7 guy for us, but with the way he seems to be developing, I could see him be our future #4. I love the fact that he and Fox have great chemistry, that could be a pairing for a long, long, long time.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Just watched the game.
  • Another flat out stupid performance by Hank. This team needs to bear down and get this man a shutout. He deserves it with the way he's been keeping us in games all season. Yes, he's not at his peak anymore, but the guy is still elite.
  • I have no words for Adam Fox. I thought he had a "down" stretch for about three or four games, wherein he still put up points and was a huge net positive for us. And against CAR he returns to his "usual self" and just dominates. Makar will win the Calder barring any injuries or anything unforeseen, but Fox (at this rate) will earn himself a Calder finalist spot and rightly so.
  • Panarin. The most amazing thing about this guy to me is how consistent he's been. We've had stars on this team that, like most stars in the league, have been great but streaky scorers (e.g., Gaborik, Nash). Panarin just constantly racks up 1 point here, 2 points there, 1 point the next night. I don't expect he'll continue at this rate all season, but it's so unbelievably valuable to have one of the very, very few guys in the league that can be counted on to put up at least a point or two on most nights.
  • I haven't read the whole thread, but I saw a few people mention Lindgren. I came into this thread with the plan of bringing him up. He gets my vote for best Ranger of the season who has never been a star on any given night. That is to say, night in & night out you get the same solid hockey from him. He looks like the quintessential modern defensive D-man: he can still skate, move the puck, make plays in the offensive zone, but he's just so damn solid in his own end. I see a lot of Sauer in him, but a more modern Sauer. His understated performance also reminds me or Danny G back after his call-up in 06-07. Just solid, solid hockey. Nothing spectacular, but this guy settling things down for us on the back end. Before the year I would have said he was tracking to be a 6/7 guy for us, but with the way he seems to be developing, I could see him be our future #4. I love the fact that he and Fox have great chemistry, that could be a pairing for a long, long, long time.

I've always felt that Gaborik's time here was overrated. Out of 4 (almost 4) seasons with the Rangers he was amazing for 2 and sucked for 2. In 10-11, he had 22 goals in 62 games. Not only are those not great numbers for a guy of his talent, 10 or 11 or those goals came in 3 games. Now it's a bit unfair because we're talking about Panarin's points but ignoring Gaborik's assists, but Gaborik was always more of a sniper. Gaborik was just very inconsistent in his time here.

Reactions: egelband

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I've always felt that Gaborik's time here was overrated. Out of 4 (almost 4) seasons with the Rangers he was amazing for 2 and sucked for 2. In 10-11, he had 22 goals in 62 games. Not only are those not great numbers for a guy of his talent, 10 or 11 or those goals came in 3 games. Now it's a bit unfair because we're talking about Panarin's points but ignoring Gaborik's assists, but Gaborik was always more of a sniper. Gaborik was just very inconsistent in his time here.
Didn’t he have some sort of big shoulder injury?

mrhockey193195

Nov 14, 2006
Denver, CO

I agree with most of this. But even focusing on Gaborik's two fantastic, 40 goal seasons with us: in 2011-12, he had 42 goals and 76 points in 82 games, but in that season he had 34 pointless games (i.e., 48 games scoring a point). In 09-10, (76. 42-44-86), he had 49 games scoring a point. I don't know this as a fact (so if I'm wrong, I hope someone can correct me!) but I imagine those totals are pretty standard numbers of games with a point for star players in the league hovering around a PPG.

Panarin this season has a point in 19/23 games, tracking for ~68 games with a point. He may not keep up that ridiculous level of consistency, but it's something that I really haven't seen from a Ranger player outside of Jagr in 05-06, and is something that (again - I think) you only see from the guys scoring ~100 points a year, aka McDavid, Crosby, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->