Prospect Info: 22nd Overall Tobias Bjornfot, Defence

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
I don't expect all of them to make it but I can see at least 1 or 2 in the next year and then another 1 or 2 a year or 2 after. I would say that we have a solid reserve list on D, but the team is clearly unbalanced because they lack anything near what we have on D with our forward reserve list of scorers. BLuc said they were going to address the scoring (pathetic) deficiency. So while the D is still not an elite group, its not the **** show we have with our offense. They should have selected Tomasino. Not doing that was a mistake.

Kings should hire you as a consultant

Reactions: Ghetty Green

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I don't expect all of them to make it but I can see at least 1 or 2 in the next year and then another 1 or 2 a year or 2 after. I would say that we have a solid reserve list on D, but the team is clearly unbalanced because they lack anything near what we have on D with our forward reserve list of scorers. BLuc said they were going to address the scoring (pathetic) deficiency. So while the D is still not an elite group, its not the **** show we have with our offense. They should have selected Tomasino. Not doing that was a mistake.

Well, you can check back in 3-5 years and let us know. We'll have a better feel for how they are doing by then.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
"Philip Tomasino (6-0, 183) is a dynamic skater capable of creating time and space while generating good scoring opportunities. The right-handed shot had 72 points (34 goals, 38 assists) in 67 games. He led the Ontario Hockey League with 12 game-winning goals..."

This guy was on the board and he is exactly the kind of forward the Team says they are focising on moving to. Then they pick a solid dman instead. You see my point? The other forwards mentioned are still there for sure but Tomasino went picks later. That is messed up. He was a legit highly ranked scorer at our selection number and they passed to take the dman.

Yeah, I don’t think anyone is upset at having Bjornfot in our system. I think it was just a lot of talk before the draft that the Kings are going to be focused on speed and skill and we choose a bit of a reach defenseman. Tomasino and Suzuki, and even Foote, Pelletier, and Beecher.

But here we are. Still a few good offensive prospects at 33. I think Brink sounds a lot more like Toffoli than Kaliyev, but scouts are concerned about both of them.

Lavoie, Brink, Kaliyev, Afanasyev, Hoglander, Leason, Rees, and Robertson still available at 33 if we are looking at more offense.

Kings could also surprise and take another defenseman, perhaps a right-handed shot with some offense.

RocketKing

Jul 2, 2017
Yeah, I don’t think anyone is upset at having Bjornfot in our system. I think it was just a lot of talk before the draft that the Kings are going to be focused on speed and skill and we choose a bit of a reach defenseman. Tomasino and Suzuki, and even Foote, Pelletier, and Beecher.

But here we are. Still a few good offensive prospects at 33. I think Brink sounds a lot more like Toffoli than Kaliyev, but scouts are concerned about both of them.

Lavoie, Brink, Kaliyev, Afanasyev, Hoglander, Leason, Rees, and Robertson still available at 33 if we are looking at more offense.

Kings could also surprise and take another defenseman, perhaps a right-handed shot with some offense.

Yeah I know and with our luck they'll load up on more dmen or better yet they'll use one of the 2nds for a goalie LOL.

Hopefully we find some really good offensive prospects tomorrow.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
It doesn't matter what the D reserve list is. The drafting philosophy is BPA. It came straight from Yanetti's mouth.

Which means they probably identified Bjornfot as the BPA. It seems pretty clear that NHL teams were higher on the defensemen in this draft than the fans and media were.

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
You need speed and skill from the back and Bjornfot addresses that...and he's known to move pucks fast and can also skate them out. They are addressing scoring and signed Prokhorkin and just drafted one of the elite 18 year old centers in the world in Turcotte. The Kings did not miss out on anyone at 22....I think of the picks after Bjornfot, the only one I think is dynamic offensively were Tomsaino and Suzuki. Foote may never ,make it...McMichael was like 70 on Pronmans list.
If Bjornfot projects as top 4 D and they are not sure if Tomasino and Suzuki are surefire top 6 forwards, they made a good choice. We all saw what character players did, once Dean brought in Greene, Stoll and
then Williams, Richards, Carter, Willie Mitchell, etc...changed the culture....they say that both Turcotte and Bjornfot are leaders and will change the culture of the future corps....as will Mikey Anderson.

At 33: they can get one of: Afanasyev, Hoglander, (who may be better than Tomasino / Suzuki) Kaliyev, Brink, Grewe, Lavoie, or Leason. That's 7 forwards that I would rather have ALL of them over Foote.

Moses Doughty

Aug 19, 2008
Defensemen take longer to be NHL-ready anyway. Go all d-men this year for all I care. We will suck this season and have plenty of picks to draft forwards in an even deeper draft (iirc) next year

From what I remember next year is alot weaker after the top few

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Let's hope he's being humble because Ekholm is far from an offensive dynamo. And at the rate it rules out Stralman too. If only he would have said Matty Norstrom.

SuperAlmeida

Mar 18, 2010
Sportingnews have graded the first round:

22. Los Angeles Kings (from Toronto) - Tobias Bjornfot, LHD, Djurgårdens IF (SHL)
Excellent pick by the Kings to grab one of my favorite defensemen in the draft. Sweden's Tobias Bjornfot is one of the cleanest puck distributors you''l find, but he also is decisive with his counterattacks and he can transition from defense to offense as well as any blueliner available at the draft. He has top-pairing upside and star potential. Grade: B

From NHL Draft results 2019: Grades, analysis for every pick in Round 1

Reactions: LAKings88

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
I love Ekholms game honestly, would be nice to have him.

Me too. He mentioned a lesser version though. So what is that?

LSS - If he can't keep up with the Ekholms , Stralmans and Vlassics offensively, where does he fit? Better damn well be Matty Norstrom if not. See? :)

Last edited:

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Bjornfot sounds better and better. Seems like the new NHL dman. You don’t need every defenseman to be offensive minded first and foremost. He sounds like a good blend.

I’m excited now.

21-22 could be.
Anderson Doughty
Bjornfot Clague
Durzi Phillips

That’s without the next two drafts and free agency.

Lots of promise there.

Reactions: Chazz Reinhold

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
I’m hoping he’s has the type of year that makes people say, why didn’t we take him. Pronman had Pitt taking him at 21. Poulin was a bit of a shock. I was initially upset because I wanted one of Kaliyev, Brink, or Tomasino. 2/3 are still on the board at this moment. Looking at Bjornfot as a gravy pick right now. Heck LA may go completely away from the guys I want and that’s ok.

Reactions: Legionnaire

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Exactly.

However, the thing that bothers me is that (as we know now) he seems so safe. Not even a boom or bust guy but an NHL player. Which is great but that is more the type of player we've found in later rounds.

There ate/were other "NHL players" that could have been taken an that would hold longer term value than where we took him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad