Prospect Info: 22nd Overall Tobias Bjornfot, Defence

Sparky206

Nov 13, 2019
Don’t forget we have to expose a defenseman for the expansion draft, so someone’s gonna have to get some more games in.

MacDermid is closest with 25 games needed to reach 70 over two seasons.

And if Clague play fewer than 40 next year, he exempt ;)

There will be some funny maths next season with rookies.
Are you sure clague is exempt. They have to expose one d man who plays the minimum number of games, but if they don't meet those number of games that doesn't mean he is protected

Token

May 15, 2019
Are you sure clague is exempt. They have to expose one d man who plays the minimum number of games, but if they don't meet those number of games that doesn't mean he is protected
You know, that’s something I’m not 100% sure about.

The way it is written it’s a bit ambiguous and can be read either way.

I gotta dig more on that.

Token

May 15, 2019
OK, I done dug a bit.

Looks like that is exclusively an experience criteria to ensure teams don’t just expose AHL talent and does not affect the exposure criteria WRT protection.

A SportsNet article had good language on this in the second paragraph.

NHL teams receiving information on potential expansion draft - Sportsnet.ca

edited to add link.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
OK, I done dug a bit.

Looks like that is exclusively an experience criteria to ensure teams don’t just expose AHL talent and does not affect the exposure criteria WRT protection.

A SportsNet article had good language on this in the second paragraph.

NHL teams receiving information on potential expansion draft - Sportsnet.ca

edited to add link.

My understanding is that anyone meeting the eligibility requirements can be selected, but the Kings must provide a minimum level of playing time. So if we expose Wagner and Walker, the Kraken are free to select Matt Luff if they want, but we have to provide better options than that.

Reactions: Token

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
We're gonna know a lot about their plans when we hear the terms of the Walker deal, if he signs a long-term deal at a team friendly number, i'm inclined to think they will want to keep him, meaning they will sign a guy like Hutton to a 2-year deal just to expose and/or try to get MacDermid into enough games to meet the criteria.

Reactions: Token

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
We're gonna know a lot about their plans when we hear the terms of the Walker deal, if he signs a long-term deal at a team friendly number, i'm inclined to think they will want to keep him, meaning they will sign a guy like Hutton to a 2-year deal just to expose and/or try to get MacDermid into enough games to meet the criteria.

Exactly what I think will happen. If they sign a UFA longer than 2 years, Edmundson for example, then we can expect someone like Macdermid or even Clague who I think is going to likely get 40 games next season, to be exposed to Seattle. Or sign an Edmundson and another journeyman vet for 2 years to expose instead.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Exactly what I think will happen. If they sign a UFA longer than 2 years, Edmundson for example, then we can expect someone like Macdermid or even Clague who I think is going to likely get 40 games next season, to be exposed to Seattle. Or sign an Edmundson and another journeyman vet for 2 years to expose instead.
Given this is going to be a terrible year a free agent they should be able to find someone for good dollar amount and short term. We are one of the few teams with cap space and we can use it this year. We won’t need to overpay because our competition will be limited

Reactions: cyclones22

Stimpythecat

Jul 1, 2015
So many teams are in cap hell and unable to offer their UFAs or even RFAs a fair contract. Bolts, coyotes, etc.

apadilla

Dec 27, 2007
I've enjoyed watching Tobias all season. And he has mostly held his own. Great skater and we can all see his hockey IQ is awesome. But the past few games, I've noticed he's struggled. Maybe playing so many games is affecting him? Either way, I'd consider sending him to the AHL to continue to develop there. Sounds like a demotion, but based on his age, I think not.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
He’s having a fine season. He’s second-pairing defenseman averaging 16 minutes a night at 20 years old. He might not be a top pairing guy but he plays a solid game and has a lot of room to grow.
I think top pairing as a #2 is still a realistic ceiling for him. However I am pretty confident he will be a top end #3 that can easily anchor the second pair as a minimum. That is actually where I’d put Muzzin also, even though the board seems to have mostly forgotten about his flaws (regularly pointed out) when he was with us.

It was one of those good trades that worked for both sides.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
Hes a solid all around dman....just is the antithesis of flashy. Was hoping hed pot that goal last night to get his first on the season. He is good at all aspects- just not great at all aspects. At his age though still an insanely high ceiling and Im a big fan.

Fun Fact- hes younger than Jordan Spence. Has the chance to be one of the crazy type Phil Housley players who can be a 12 year vet at 30 years old.

cyclones22

Apr 4, 2003
Eastvale
Really he just needs to be more aggressive to start approaching his ceiling. He generally makes good decisions and reads and he is an excellent skater. Tobi rarely flubs the puck as well. These are all terrific qualities to have in a reliable defenseman.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
If he doesn’t find a way to put up points by the time he’s 25, he’ll always be a depth guy playing a bottom two role. These guys are widely available and very few of them are drafted early.

Reactions: funky

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
When he was drafted I had Bjornfot as a solid #3-4 shutdown defenseman who may be able to round his offensive game up to be a mid-20's - mid-30's point guy at his peak. He looks well on target to be a #3 and the offensive ceiling won't be reached by a player like him until he's about 25-28. For his draft slot, he's been well worth what we gave. You need foot soldiers to win cups too and he's looking like a good one.

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
I think top pair is too much for him.

I understand defensive defenseman play on the 1st pair too but those are superb defensively.

Solid 2nd pairing defenseman.
My take is his age. Most defensemen his age are still in the minors but as I said a #2 is his absolute ceiling in my view but a #3 is where our expectations should be. He is still very, very early in his development curve.

Reactions: ZJames

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
My take is his age. Most defensemen his age are still in the minors but as I said a #2 is his absolute ceiling in my view but a #3 is where our expectations should be. He is still very, very early in his development curve.
I mentioned this yesterday on one of the boards. Most players his age would be in their first AHL season. Kings obviously were confident in his ability, remember, he even started in the NHL for a few games at 18, and played a season and a bit in the AHL at 18/19 before joining the Kings for good last year. Your average D man is breaking into the league at 22/23 or later. He's well ahead of the curve.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
He is keeping everything simple and in front of him. Dude's a kid, he will feel more comfortable with experience and his puck skills should eventually shine through. No reason whatsoever to make career projections at this point.

ZJames

Jan 4, 2011
Dont worry about it
With how well he is playing as a 20-year-old, I certainly think he has potential as a #2 d-man. There are not a lot of defensemen who can play quality minutes in the NHL and hold their own at that age. Most start to hit their stride around their mid-20's. I'm not worried about the points yet. Those will likely come as he grows and develops. I was originally pissed that we didn't take Kaliyev with that pick, but it certainly worked out with us nabbing him in the 2nd round. All-in-all, I'm glad Bjornfot is a King.

raswilliam

Feb 18, 2008
East TN.
Last night against the Ducks, Bjornfot led all players with an 80.9 xGF% and 70 CF%. He was also +3. The talent is there, the confidence is growing. Nothing wrong if he's a long-term bottom four pairing, those guys are just as important to the team.

He also played 11 minutes and change last night.

mysterman2

Jul 11, 2020
So Cal
He also played 11 minutes and change last night.

which is fine...at his age and depth on the blue line not a bad thing getting sheltered minutes.

Big picture and I mentioned above- he is 20 years old and not a liability at the NHL level. Only going to get better and looks to be a Top 4, NHL caliber dman- great draft pick and the Kings defense corp has a plethora of riches

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad