Prospect Info: 22nd Overall Tobias Bjornfot, Defence

Fishhead

Jul 15, 2003
PNW
I wonder why Grundstrom is playing with Ontario.

There were enough opportunities to bench people in favour of him. He played one game..

Maybe he's not showing much in practice or just getting outplayed by other guys. Hard to say, most of us only see the games and not anything else. Could also be a top minutes vs. 10 minutes thing.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
Maybe he's not showing much in practice or just getting outplayed by other guys. Hard to say, most of us only see the games and not anything else. Could also be a top minutes vs. 10 minutes thing.
Defensively, he was a liability and me thinks TMac has settled on who his guys are and will roll with that. As some have said, no reason to keep him up if he isn’t playing so off to Ontario he went and he went off... let’s hope he keeps it up and capitalized on his next opportunity

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Been a while since we bumped this ol steady future defenseman...

“He’s a special player,” LaDue said of his teammate. “I don’t think he’ll be in this league for long and I’m happy to play with him. I’m happy to try to help him out as much as I can throughout his first year and he helps me out too with the way he plays. It’s been going well so far.”

As you watch Bjornfot on the ice, it’s hard to think sometimes that he’s just 18 years old. When I asked Reign Head Coach Mike Stothers, he gave a glowing review of the progress that Bjornfot has made in his short time with the Reign.

“He plays like a seasoned veteran, like you’d never know that this was his first year,” Stothers said of Bjornfot. “If you asked, people wouldn’t guess that he’s 18 years of age. It’s a terrific quality that he has, that he plays an efficient game that makes you think that he’s older and more experienced that he is.”

Peter James Bond II

Mar 5, 2015
This is the Voynov path. I feel good about this kid's future here.

I hope not...I do not see him in the AHL 3 years, like Voynov...and never being lax in play, like Voynov was the last 1+ years or EVER
pushing his girlfriend down a flight of stairs. No, Tobias is a leader and has character. Plays hard every shift and will wear an A one day.

Last edited:
Reactions: Choralone

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

“He’s a special player,” LaDue said of his teammate. “I don’t think he’ll be in this league for long and I’m happy to play with him. I’m happy to try to help him out as much as I can throughout his first year and he helps me out too with the way he plays. It’s been going well so far.”

As you watch Bjornfot on the ice, it’s hard to think sometimes that he’s just 18 years old. When I asked Reign Head Coach Mike Stothers, he gave a glowing review of the progress that Bjornfot has made in his short time with the Reign.

“He plays like a seasoned veteran, like you’d never know that this was his first year,” Stothers said of Bjornfot. “If you asked, people wouldn’t guess that he’s 18 years of age. It’s a terrific quality that he has, that he plays an efficient game that makes you think that he’s older and more experienced that he is.”

This kid is going to be a stud. Sooner than later IMO. Said this in the prospects thread.

Reactions: crassbonanza

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA

We'll be seeing you soon, Tobias! He and LaDue lead the Reign D in +/-.

I feel for Paul LaDue. Top D in Ontario, but gets only two games with the Kings. Just behind Clague in points, but way ahead of Clague in +/-. What does this guy have to do to make it to the show?

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
We'll be seeing you soon, Tobias! He and LaDue lead the Reign D in +/-.

I feel for Paul LaDue. Top D in Ontario, but gets only two games with the Kings. Just behind Clague in points, but way ahead of Clague in +/-. What does this guy have to do to make it to the show?

maybe show an ounce of that game during his 69 games played in the NHL.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
maybe show an ounce of that game during his 69 games played in the NHL.
I don't get that. Stat line looks decent. 5 goals, 18 points in 69 games, pretty typical of an NHL defenseman. Generally on the plus side of most advanced stats. Doesn't get scored on often. Exits the zone efficiently, wins his share of board battles. What's the problem? Can't suck any worse than the other stiffs on the Kings, right?

I don't want to turn this into a LaDue thread. Just saying he's deserved better. Gonna lose him for nothing in two months.

Reactions: DoktorJeep

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I don't get that. Stat line looks decent. 5 goals, 18 points in 69 games, pretty typical of an NHL defenseman. Generally on the plus side of most advanced stats. Doesn't get scored on often. Exits the zone efficiently, wins his share of board battles. What's the problem? Can't suck any worse than the other stiffs on the Kings, right?

I don't want to turn this into a LaDue thread. Just saying he's deserved better. Gonna lose him for nothing in two months.

I agree that I would rather see him than some of the guys in the lineup, but I also think he has had a good enough look through different coaches and has not stuck for a reason. If he leaves he leaves, I don't think LaDue is what LA is missing on the back end anyway. I did have high hopes for him though

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
I agree that I would rather see him than some of the guys in the lineup, but I also think he has had a good enough look through different coaches and has not stuck for a reason. If he leaves he leaves, I don't think LaDue is what LA is missing on the back end anyway. I did have high hopes for him though
Yea I had high hopes for him also. He showed a lot of potential his first call up. Was a bit soft in his own zone but nothing that couldnt be worked out. I was mad when he scored in that Vegas series, something our forwards couldn't do, then got benched. Its just strange how some players are given a much longer leash to develop. Muzzin was pretty bad early on and they stuck with him. At a high level like the NHL where everyone is skilled, the confidence of your coach can go a long way.
In the end I think both Walker and Roy are going to turn into what we expected from LaDue.
Hope LaDue can get a contract and break through on another team, though the damage might already be done.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
Yea I had high hopes for him also. He showed a lot of potential his first call up. Was a bit soft in his own zone but nothing that couldnt be worked out. I was mad when he scored in that Vegas series, something our forwards couldn't do, then got benched. Its just strange how some players are given a much longer leash to develop. Muzzin was pretty bad early on and they stuck with him. At a high level like the NHL where everyone is skilled, the confidence of your coach can go a long way.
In the end I think both Walker and Roy are going to turn into what we expected from LaDue.
Hope LaDue can get a contract and break through on another team, though the damage might already be done.

I'm kind of a dick where if it doesn't/didn't happen with LA I don't want it to with a competitor's team. I wanted to cheer and hope for Gravel too...till he signed in Edmonton.

Last edited:
Reactions: Schmooley

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
I'm kind of a dick where if it doesn't/didn't happen with LA I don't want it to with a competitor's team. I wanted to cheer and hope for Gravel too...till he signed in Edmonton.

Gravel's got extra circumstances, though, with his illness. I sympathize with that, and wish him well regardless.

Reactions: YP44

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
giphy.gif

"I'm loving the praise guys but this ain't no LaDue thread" - real life quote

regulate

Aug 19, 2007
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Bjornfot/LaDue have been the top pairing in ONT all season. They are Stutts go-to pair. A shout out to LaDue for being a good mentor. Bjornfot is well-advanced in his D reads as an 18 year old pro. You'd just never guess he was that old. He's progressing very nicely. Smooth skater, strong hockey IQ. Not overly physical, but uses his positioning well. He's more advanced defensively then Anderson (who has a good foundation but needs more seasoning) or Clague (who is capable at times but inconsistent on D). I believe Bjornfot will be given an opportunity to make the big club next year at 19. Clague also, but he's got to improve his D. I predict Anderson will play another season in the AHL. My only criticism of Bjornfot is I'd like him to read the speed of the game a tad quicker on the transition. There are numerous players in the AHL that are just as fast as the NHLers, and he gets beat sometimes on the outside to the front of the net on the rush. Happens to everyone from time to time, but Bjornfot skates well enough to prevent most of these.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
That would be a major departure from how successful NHL defensemen like Martinez and Voynov were brought along by the Kings.

Bjornfot isn’t going to be playing in the minors for four seasons. Erik Cernak only needed one season in the AHL and he quickly became a top 4 defenseman in Tampa Bay. Not every player develops along the same curve.

Reactions: crassbonanza

BringTheReign

Jul 3, 2008
San Diego
Bjornfot isn’t going to be playing in the minors for four seasons. Erik Cernak only needed one season in the AHL and he quickly became a top 4 defenseman in Tampa Bay. Not every player develops along the same curve.

It's worth noting that Cernak has 3" of height on Bjornfot, and he walked into a dominant roster that could back him up as needed. It's not just Hedman, it's guys like Cirelli and Point as premier 2-way centers as well with the best overall depth in the league.

After Kopitar and Doughty, it drops off quite a bit in terms of skill and/or experience.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
It's worth noting that Cernak has 3" of height on Bjornfot, and he walked into a dominant roster that could back him up as needed. It's not just Hedman, it's guys like Cirelli and Point as premier 2-way centers as well with the best overall depth in the league.

After Kopitar and Doughty, it drops off quite a bit in terms of skill and/or experience.

I get that, but Bjornfot excelling as a rookie on a largely inexperienced team in Ontario shows that he’s making strides to be an NHLer next season. It’s possible they give that spot to Clague, but Ontario is getting crowded and they need to test and challenge some of these guys to perform at a higher level, which is exactly what they’ve done with Mikey Anderson.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I agree, Bjornfot won't be in Ontario for four seasons. That doesn't mean he should be rushed into the NHL next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad