Prospect Info: 21st Overall Samuel Poulin, RW

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Really high bar you're setting there :laugh:

I've gone on enough rants on here about how Austin isn't a good hockey player, so I'm going to save the keystrokes :laugh:

Imagine loving hockey enough to dedicate your whole life to it but your dad being Mario Lemieux.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
I assume the comparison was made because of his size, IQ and playmaking ability from the wing?

I can see the comparisons stylistically, even the way they both skate and handle the puck.

It’s possible to play like someone stylistically, but not be anywhere near as productive/dominant.

ie I think Eichel looks a lot like Lemieux on the ice in many ways but ya know...
Who is a good comp for him though? I think he tries to emulate Landeskog.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Imagine loving hockey enough to dedicate your whole life to it but your dad being Mario Lemieux.

To be fair, he's essentially gotten everything based on his last name being Lemieux. Dude has constantly played a level or 2 above where he should be playing because of his last name.

It's obviously a dumb comparison because Lafferty is in the NHL, but Lafferty was just an insanely better player than Lemieux was in amateurs. I was scared to play against Lafferty because of how much he'd torch everyone, I laughed at Lemieux while playing against him.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
To be fair, he's essentially gotten everything based on his last name being Lemieux. Dude has constantly played a level or 2 above where he should be playing because of his last name.

It's obviously a dumb comparison because Lafferty is in the NHL, but Lafferty was just an insanely better player than Lemieux was in amateurs. I was scared to play against Lafferty because of how much he'd torch everyone, I laughed at Lemieux while playing against him.
Hes gotten better though. This past prospects camp was his best.

I always thought he could be a good third liner with size. Kind of like Troy Loney.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Hes gotten better though. This past prospects camp was his best.

I always thought he could be a good third liner with size. Kind of like Troy Loney.

I mean he's also 23 going up against 18-20 year olds. If his last name wasn't Lemieux, would you think he was anything based on his junior/NCAA career?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

I'm not making a judgement on his quality or the breaks he's gotten. Just saying it'd be an impossible standard to live up to and there'd be no way to escape it. Hard to develop an identity, I would think.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I mean he's also 23 going up against 18-20 year olds. If his last name wasn't Lemieux, would you think he was anything based on his junior/NCAA career?

No but saying you laughed at him in amateur seems a little over the top. He is playing D1 and put up 13 points in 31 last year. His name definitely gave him more opportunities but also likely more pressure. D1 hockey is no joke (more than I did) so good for him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
No but saying you laughed at him in amateur seems a little over the top. He is playing D1 and put up 13 points in 31 last year. His name definitely gave him more opportunities but also likely more pressure. D1 hockey is no joke (more than I did) so good for him.

I think you have to take that comment as speaking relatively, which is why I mentioned Lafferty in the same sentence. Lafferty was a great AAA player (I'd honestly say he was even better, but I'm not sure of a level above AAA that isn't juniors) playing AA, while Lemieux was a good AA player playing AAA.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think you have to take that comment as speaking relatively, which is why I mentioned Lafferty in the same sentence. Lafferty was a great AAA player (I'd honestly say he was even better, but I'm not sure of a level above AAA that isn't juniors) playing AA, while Lemieux was a good AA player playing AAA.

Sure but not sure how that's relevant now that he's playing NCAA D1. He's not going to have an NHL career, but still a good accomplishment IMO. You definitely have a point that he's given more opportunities because of the name and Mario's influence. Skating at an NHL prospects camp definitely wouldn't happen if his Dad didn't own the team.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sure but not sure how that's relevant now that he's playing NCAA D1. He's not going to have an NHL career, but still a good accomplishment IMO. You definitely have a point that he's given more opportunities because of the name and Mario's influence. Skating at an NHL prospects camp definitely wouldn't happen if his Dad didn't own the team.

I was just commenting on how he was perceived playing amateurs in Pittsburgh. At least from what I remember, hockey parents made a big deal out of playing Lemieux's team as they did with Lafferty. I think a better way to put it is that I laughed at the parents who made a big deal out of playing Lemieux's team.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I was just commenting on how he was perceived playing amateurs in Pittsburgh. At least from what I remember, hockey parents made a big deal out of playing Lemieux's team as they did with Lafferty. I think a better way to put it is that I laughed at the parents who made a big deal out of playing Lemieux's team.

:thumbu:

Makes sense thanks.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
There's no way he's going to keep that up, I think. But those are some crazy numbers that bottom 6ers that come from the Q don't tend to hit at any stretch during their time in junior, even into their over-age years.

A dip of some sort seems likely but I think it could be reasonably small - Lavoie and Pelletier are at 1.6something ppg either and those are Poulin's closest peers right now. It's a not completely unreasonable goal for a 1st rounder.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I mean Austin Lemieux is a legitimate DI hockey player. That’s a very high level of play, one of the best leagues in the world. Absolutely zero NHL future but it’s kinda hard to say he’s not good at the sport.

Landeskog makes sense but imo I see a somewhat more creative Saad as far as style for Poulin.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

I understand the Hossa comparison when I think about it, but again it’s more how they look like someone, than what his ceiling is I’d imagine?

It’s hard to make comparisons many times... I’d say to me he skates and handles the puck like Filip Forseberg, and is similar in size. Poulin seems more crafty with the way he dishes the puck though.

Forseberg is more of a shoot first guy and Poulin tends to want to dish off.

Of course he may not be as crafty at NHL speed, who knows.

Just hard to make comparisons, but that’s who Poulin looks like stylistically to me.

Reactions: Burn

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Poulin(while having a great shot) does look to pass first. But he can also attack the net and get those goals around it. Finds himself in those areas like Guentzel does.

A line of Guentzel, Sid, and Poulin could be perfect. Especially by the time Poulin is truly ready. Not just when hes up on the Pens but ready to make a significant impact. Since he can also drive his own line if needed...in a few years it could allow Sid to take a step back with that and adjust his game again to stay near the top in scoring. All 3 being similar players, with high IQs could be a top line even with Crosby at 34/35 by time Poulin is ready(20/21).

Reactions: Dominance

Mario_is_BACK!!

ACK! ACK ACK! ACK!!!
Nov 29, 2003
Charleston, SC
www.caseandpointsports.com
I mean Austin Lemieux is a legitimate DI hockey player. That’s a very high level of play, one of the best leagues in the world. Absolutely zero NHL future but it’s kinda hard to say he’s not good at the sport.

The school I work for has a new play by play person. He previously worked at Arizona State. He laughed at how bad Austin was.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Landeskog is a good style comparison. He reminds me of Bertuzzi with how he skates and distributes the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad