Prospect Info: 21st Overall Samuel Poulin, RW

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
You’re citing exceptions not the rules...and you’re statement about WHL defensemen is flat out wrong...just look at this year’s draft...the Q is fodder for the small handful of relatively skilled forwards who are rostered...it’s why a kid like Sprong - who will never have a 200’ game - stands out...

Q teams are 8-1 against WHL teams in the last 4 Mem Cups, a streak that involves 5 different Q teams and 6 different WHL teams. That's a lot of exceptions. And teams in the Q average a whopping 0.2 goals per game more than WHL teams (3.46 vs 3.26), so I guess if they play no D, WHL teams aren't much better. As for size, a 2015 analysis found that the median height was actually shorter in the WHL (72 inches) than in the OHL and Q (73 inches). Basically, all 3 leagues are very similar in size.

It's crazy how long these stereotypes, which are at least 15 years out of date, last in people's minds

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
All the other people who hit like understand the rather obvious point.

People clamouring on about how good or bad Poulin is/will be are people throwing darts blind.

Bickering about his speed or overall outlook is pointless considering most of us have never seen this kids play, outside a few highlight packages.

So essentially, message boards serve no purpose in your mind.

Reactions: Shady Machine

TheDuderino

May 1, 2019
CT USA
Well, 4 is more than your 1 example.

The fact is the leagues are all quite close nowadays in all facets.

Among the upper echelons of Junior Hockey the Q has been, and remains, underrepresented on NHL rosters. The Pens have 2 players with QMJHL pedigree...none since Letang have made much of an impact...Dupois wasn’t even drafted...the premier and only player of note drafted out of the Q that year was Roberto Luongo...

I hope that post passed the Grammar Police...

1 goalie chosen from the Q this year...of the 4 defensemen...one was from Europe and the other originally from Australia...

TheDuderino

May 1, 2019
CT USA
Q teams are 8-1 against WHL teams in the last 4 Mem Cups, a streak that involves 5 different Q teams and 6 different WHL teams. That's a lot of exceptions. And teams in the Q average a whopping 0.2 goals per game more than WHL teams (3.46 vs 3.26), so I guess if they play no D, WHL teams aren't much better. As for size, a 2015 analysis found that the median height was actually shorter in the WHL (72 inches) than in the OHL and Q (73 inches). Basically, all 3 leagues are very similar in size.

It's crazy how long these stereotypes, which are at least 15 years out of date, last in people's minds

How many people chose St. Louis to win the Cup this year?

Don’t get me wrong; I love Memorial Cup hockey. But the predicted winner in any given year rarely is...couple that to the fact that elite teams in any league SHOULD have parity...you see it at all levels..

What was the average height for defensemen in the WHL v OHL?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Among the upper echelons of Junior Hockey the Q has been, and remains, underrepresented on NHL rosters.
This is true, but the OHL and WHL have more teams and therefore more players, though the discrepancy seems a bit off since the OHL is in the middle of the total number of teams but has the most players in the NHL (or did in October).

1 goalie chosen from the Q this year...of the 4 defensemen...one was from Europe and the other originally from Australia...
The old stereotype was that the Q was run and gun with no defense, like you said, which meant they developed goalies better than the other junior leagues. So if they're not developing goalies, to me that'd mean the style is more even across the board.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
So essentially, message boards serve no purpose in your mind.

Considering the drivel that gets thrown around, we could certainly do with a lot less.

I mean do people actually READ what gets posted around here? Did anyone actually READ the nonsense that were the draft day threads? People going crazy over a stupid Letang rumor was just the beginning.

Reading hot takes on prospects by people who have never even seen some teenager play is about as newsworthy as anything you get from cable news today, or pretty much any social media platform.

TheDuderino

May 1, 2019
CT USA
This is true, but the OHL and WHL have more teams and therefore more players, though the discrepancy seems a bit off since the OHL is in the middle of the total number of teams but has the most players in the NHL (or did in October).

The old stereotype was that the Q was run and gun with no defense, like you said, which meant they developed goalies better than the other junior leagues. So if they're not developing goalies, to me that'd mean the style is more even across the board.

I get all of your points as this has been a long ongoing topic of discussion among us geeks...but in the end the numbers don’t lie...retention in Youth Hockey was a BIG concern in the Easternmost townships...they eliminated hitting...put STOP signs on the back of Jerseys...anything to keep the sport viable in a province where travel is often problematic...

SympathyForTheDevils

Feb 22, 2010
Quebec City
Among the upper echelons of Junior Hockey the Q has been, and remains, underrepresented on NHL rosters. The Pens have 2 players with QMJHL pedigree...none since Letang have made much of an impact...Dupois wasn’t even drafted...the premier and only player of note drafted out of the Q that year was Roberto Luongo...

I hope that post passed the Grammar Police...

True. Funnily enough, the year after, the Q produced Lecavalier, Richards, Tanguay, Gagné, Ribeiro, Beauchemin, Fischer and Ryder, while the only players of note from the WHL were Regher and Gomez (and Stuart I guess, but picking him at 3 was a bit high). It happens. It doesn't mean there's a lot of variation in the quality of the league from year to year.

As for the Pens' history with the Q, the Pens just don't draft a lot out of the Q. In the last decade, it's been only Lauzon at 51 (whose career was already destroyed by injuries), Sprong at 46 (by any account a good pick) and Després at 30 (also a good pick, also a career cut short by injuries). Not a lot there to extrapolate trends.

Reactions: TheDuderino

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
This guy with a draft channel on YouTube claiming that he saw every single game Poulin played this year (also 50+ games from the other top Quebec draft eligibles) and in his opinion Poulin was the not only the best prospect from the Q this year, but clearly so.

Haven’t seen any videos of his before nor watched this one much yet but here it is.

Link here:

Reactions: td_ice

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Stylistically he reminds of Draisaitl. Draisaitl wasn’t the greatest skater when he got drafted either. Not saying he has the ability of Draisaitl, but skating stride and shot reminds of him.
Absolutely.

Just got done watching all the video I could find on him, and that is EXACTLY who Poulin reminds me of stylistically. The hockey vision, the smooth hands, the skating, the size. Damn, very impressive. Drai still isn't the best skater. His 1st few strides it looks like he is pulling a plow. But he has improved, and his top speed is fine. And his smarts and hands buy him time and space. Poulin's skating reminds me of Draisaitl.

Not saying that Poulin is going to the next Draisaitl, (we have no idea). But man, watching him, he looks so much like Draisaitl to me.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Your guy picked Still D.R.E. as his walk-up music. (Yes, really.) I love him just for that.

D9pQnrJVUAE0Bn_.jpg:large

CallArnoldSlick

Party Fowl
May 21, 2010
82 QMJHL players were on opening night NHL rosters last year. That's compared to 156 OHL, 137 WHL and 128 USHL. While certainly fewer, it's not exactly an obscure source of talent.

Some notable Q alumni include MacKinnon, Hischier, Bergeron, Marchand, Chabot, Dubois, Mantha, Huberdeau, Drouin, Couturier, Giroux, Voracek, Radulov, Marchessault, Ehlers, Radulov, Hoffman, Brassard, Perron, Vlasic...

Oh, and I think the Penguins have a guy or two from the Q.

The league is more than capable of producing top talent.

Edit: Even Kucherov spent some time there.

Reactions: Dominance

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
82 QMJHL players were on opening night NHL rosters last year. That's compared to 156 OHL, 137 WHL and 128 USHL. While certainly fewer, it's not exactly an obscure source of talent.

Some notable Q alumni include MacKinnon, Hischier, Bergeron, Marchand, Chabot, Dubois, Mantha, Huberdeau, Drouin, Couturier, Giroux, Voracek, Radulov, Marchessault, Ehlers, Radulov, Hoffman, Brassard, Perron, Vlasic...

Oh, and I think the Penguins have a guy or two from the Q.

The league is more than capable of producing top talent.

Edit: Even Kucherov spent some time there.

Who have we ever got from the QMJHL that was any good? :sarcasm:

RIM_CrosbySidney_00329311.jpg

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
First impressions were impressive last night seeing Poulin. He came as advertised. He showed the best hands and vision of any of the prospects last night. Was kinda surprised there wasn't more positive buzz about his play from those watching online. At times he tried to do a bit too much, and it didn't always work, but he flashed a lot of skill, and smarts. But maybe the view didn't translate well to what could be seen live and up close in person. He has a good shot. He first trip down the ice he let go a sweet shot that hit the bar. And was also denied a few times as D'Orio played very well in game 1. His skating was good, Definitely no issues there.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
First impressions were impressive last night seeing Poulin. He came as advertised. He showed the best hands and vision of any of the prospects last night. Was kinda surprised there wasn't more positive buzz about his play from those watching online. At times he tried to do a bit too much, and it didn't always work, but he flashed a lot of skill, and smarts. But maybe the view didn't translate well to what could be seen live and up close in person. He has a good shot. He first trip down the ice he let go a sweet shot that hit the bar. And was also denied a few times as D'Orio played very well in game 1. His skating was good, Definitely no issues there.

I feel like skating is such a hard thing to analyze with young players, especially since I was a bit of a bender myself when I played, so I have absolutely no technique to judge from. You want to talk about agitating though, and I'm an expert. :laugh:

How do you think Poulin used his size, TD? You know how much I'm pulling for us to get "a warhorse with hands of silk", to use the old Earl Mann quote about Artie.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
I feel like skating is such a hard thing to analyze with young players, especially since I was a bit of a bender myself when I played, so I have absolutely no technique to judge from. You want to talk about agitating though, and I'm an expert. :laugh:

How do you think Poulin used his size, TD? You know how much I'm pulling for us to get "a warhorse with hands of silk", to use the old Earl Mann quote about Artie.

Ya know when I was leaving to head up to the rink, I realized, "oh man, this is a 3 on 3 scrimmage, do I really want to sit through that", knowing how little that situation transfers to real hockey. But I decided to go anyway, realizing that there would be facets of their game that you could really learn about it. Skating for sure, with that much open ice. Ability to make quick decisions. Hockey sense, and shot.

But as far as physicality goes, there is going to be no takeaways. The only hitting that was done, was basically unavoidable collisions. Whether by mandate or by nature of the open ice with 3 on 3 hockey, there was no hitting. It was basically a long drill in which they kept score.

So while I was tempted to praise Poulin for always driving to the net, I did not. Knowing that it's easy to do so when you know you are not going to be hit at all. And on Poulin, I think one of the reasons he was trying to beat so many players 1 v 1, was that early on, he seemed to always be playing against Austin Lemieux. And no offense to the big guy's kid, it was a mismatch. (which is understandable, as Austin, even in this setting, is just out of his depth). He couldn't turn and track Poulin well, and Poulin knew it and burned him several times.

So even with the praise I give Poulin, it really doesn't mean a whole lot, as we gotta see the next step, which will actually be playing in 5 on 5 situations, with real hitting. But we can only glean which was in front of us, knowing that we have snippets of takeaways, but hardly a full picture.

And for the goalies, I really didn't put much into their play at all, when they started to get lit up. As 3 on 3 is almost an impossible task to ask for a goalie.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
What side is he playing on in camp, his off-wing or left? He is listed as both.
Good question. In the scrimmage, with the 3 on 3, positions were basically meaningless. Forward or D, you are just all over the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad