Prospect Info: #21OA - RW Julien Gauthier - Val-d'Or, QMJHL

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I've watched several Youtubes and I like what I see. He's not the creator that Bellows can be but he makes his own luck by going to the net hard and being persistent. I also love how he uses the behind the net area, a lot of big guys don't have that element to their game and certainly not at 18.

He reminds me a little bit of Erik Cole the way he'll come down the off wing and use his body to shield the defender off the puck. There is some natural goal-scoring knack but a bigger (well, much bigger) Cole looks like a good comparison at this point.

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
Really like the pick, and not sure why some seem to be questioning his skill as a goal scorer at the next level. He looks to have a heavy shot, and great hands/finishing ability in front of the net. If anything, the banging/rebound/garbage type goals are more translatable to the NHL than a bunch of highlight reel dipsy doodling that others get away with in junior. Plus its not like a McLeod or Crouse situation where you go "he's got all the physical tools, now he just needs to figure out how to produce with them." He's already shown that, you don't score 41 goals without a strong nose for the net.

He's gonna be a net front, down low guy that can't be pushed off the puck, which is exactly what the roster is lacking. Obviously there's no promises, but I can definitely see him being a consistent 20-30 goal guy. And we'll never have to worry about his motivation off the ice.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I feel like we've been clamoring for a player of his ilk for the past 4 to 5 drafts. He checks off a lot of boxes for this team in the long-term (size on the wing, RHS, net-front presence, etc.) Seems like a solid pick.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Guy is a monster physically. Very good pick and compliments some of Carolina's smaller wingers. He will go to the front of the net and dig pucks out of the boards while punishing other players. Love this pick.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Given the Draft board I think most of us would have been fine with this guy at #13 if they had picked him. Getting him at #21 is all the better.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
I've watched several Youtubes and I like what I see. He's not the creator that Bellows can be but he makes his own luck by going to the net hard and being persistent. I also love how he uses the behind the net area, a lot of big guys don't have that element to their game and certainly not at 18.

He reminds me a little bit of Erik Cole the way he'll come down the off wing and use his body to shield the defender off the puck. There is some natural goal-scoring knack but a bigger (well, much bigger) Cole looks like a good comparison at this point.

Now I really wish we had drafted Bellows so I could call him Kieffer, The Creator.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don't dislike the pick at all. I have to admit I wanted Jones so I had a little sad about that but I'm over it. I'll watch Jones for kicks the way I'll watch Provorov.

We could use a size and strength down the wing. I just don't know if I see top line potential out of this guy yet. That's why I liked Jones. If he puts it all together he could be that guy, if he doesn't you've got pretty good skill and size mixed with great skating. I'm not sure what Gauthier looks like if he doesn't pull it all together?

Still a sensical pick I knew some of you guys liked ahead of time so I think it's a good one.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I don't dislike the pick at all. I have to admit I wanted Jones so I had a little sad about that but I'm over it. I'll watch Jones for kicks the way I'll watch Provorov.

We could use a size and strength down the wing. I just don't know if I see top line potential out of this guy yet. That's why I liked Jones. If he puts it all together he could be that guy, if he doesn't you've got pretty good skill and size mixed with great skating. I'm not sure what Gauthier looks like if he doesn't pull it all together?

Still a sensical pick I knew some of you guys liked ahead of time so I think it's a good one.

Cy_Young_1_MLB_HOF.jpg

Seriously though. Kid can skate, is big, and has a nasty shot. Worst case if we were just to plunk him down in front of the net if his game doesn't come around, he could still be effective at putting away goals which is something we badly need.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Having watche 5 minutes of the 7 minute video wallym posted, I now consider myself to be somewhat of a Julien Gauthier expert. The guy needs a playmaker, period. He doesn't create most of his goals on his own. I think where Gauthier makes his payday is driving hard to the net and being stronger than his competition. I find it hard to believe the kid is already pushing 230 pounds - how much more muscle can he add? He has good straight line speed. He'll need that and he'll need to shield the puck a good amount better against NHL defenders. But I love how he can elevate the puck and how quick he releases it. On most of those goals, he didn't get cute aside from doodling around Mason McDonald on one of them. Gauthier just releases at the right moment, usually immediately, and roofs them with ease. I think he's the perfect compliment to play with TT or Aho, guys that can find him in tight areas and sauce the puck right to him.

From what I saw, he'll need at least 1 year, likely 2-3 of seasoning, adding more muscle, and learning playmaking more. I want Gauthier to be shoot first, but he has to be a solid puck mover to add that elusiveness. If the defense knows he's all shot, they'll play him accordingly. But if he can develop a bit more awareness around him, he'll be way more lethal.

Edit - I'm curious. How is his board play and defensive skills? Has anyone watched for that?

Revo

Jun 29, 2011
Quebec City
Having watche 5 minutes of the 7 minute video wallym posted, I now consider myself to be somewhat of a Julien Gauthier expert. The guy needs a playmaker, period. He doesn't create most of his goals on his own. I think where Gauthier makes his payday is driving hard to the net and being stronger than his competition. I find it hard to believe the kid is already pushing 230 pounds - how much more muscle can he add? He has good straight line speed. He'll need that and he'll need to shield the puck a good amount better against NHL defenders. But I love how he can elevate the puck and how quick he releases it. On most of those goals, he didn't get cute aside from doodling around Mason McDonald on one of them. Gauthier just releases at the right moment, usually immediately, and roofs them with ease. I think he's the perfect compliment to play with TT or Aho, guys that can find him in tight areas and sauce the puck right to him.

From what I saw, he'll need at least 1 year, likely 2-3 of seasoning, adding more muscle, and learning playmaking more. I want Gauthier to be shoot first, but he has to be a solid puck mover to add that elusiveness. If the defense knows he's all shot, they'll play him accordingly. But if he can develop a bit more awareness around him, he'll be way more lethal.

Edit - I'm curious. How is his board play and defensive skills? Has anyone watched for that?

Not a great defensive player thus far in his career.

I wouldn't call him a power forward per se. He's a big goal scorer, but I wouldn't expect him to be all over the ice hitting players. He's very much offensive minded, and to some extent I consider him to be a boom or bust type. At least moreso than one would usually believe for a player of his size. If he lives up to his potential, he'll have a number of GMs wishing they'd picked him earlier.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm

I'm not sure the kid can be reasonably expected to add much more muscle. He's been training since he was nine and his trainers were his father and grandfather, both professional bodybuilders and one of which was a Mr Olympia, or something. He maybe already maxed out there.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Now I really wish we had drafted Bellows so I could call him Kieffer, The Creator.

Here's the reality....if we would have drafted Bellows, Gauthier likely would have been gone.

I'm not sure the kid can be reasonably expected to add much more muscle. He's been training since he was nine and his trainers were his father and grandfather, both professional bodybuilders and one of which was a Mr Olympia, or something. He maybe already maxed out there.

Julien is strong and is a strong skater. I see nothing but huge upside with this pick.

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Preds fan here. Just thought I'd stop in to say I am very jealous you all snagged Gauthier. I thought for sure Nashville was going to take him but instead went for something so typical, defense.

Where we really could have used a huge power forward that can score goals, we took defense. Go figure. Hope he works out for you guys. I'm a big fan of his and wish you all nothing but the best.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Not a great defensive player thus far in his career.

I wouldn't call him a power forward per se. He's a big goal scorer, but I wouldn't expect him to be all over the ice hitting players. He's very much offensive minded, and to some extent I consider him to be a boom or bust type. At least moreso than one would usually believe for a player of his size. If he lives up to his potential, he'll have a number of GMs wishing they'd picked him earlier.

Canes fans are no stranger to physically imposing players who don't play physical. Just for once though, it would be nice to have somebody around who can score the goal and then go run you through the boards.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Preds fan here. Just thought I'd stop in to say I am very jealous you all snagged Gauthier. I thought for sure Nashville was going to take him but instead went for something so typical, defense.

Where we really could have used a huge power forward that can score goals, we took defense. Go figure. Hope he works out for you guys. I'm a big fan of his and wish you all nothing but the best.

Word dude. Was hoping for Bellows at 13 but I'm pretty excited about this pick from everything I've seen.

Good luck to your squad this year.

Sebastian Svechnikov

May 21, 2015
Personally I liked Max Jones a lot more at #21, but I trust GMRF and our scouts to have made the right call.

Last edited:

Peanut

Alzner is SOLID
Oct 28, 2015
Congrats on the pick Canes fan.

Gauthier has a very high ceiling I have a great feeling you are gonna fall in love with what this kid can do for your team.

He was underutilized in the WJC and I really think he's got something or prove after being benched so many times in that tournament for no reason.

I'm pulling for you guys this year, I really admire what Bill Peters is doing for your team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad