Player Discussion: Jake Virtanen | XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Unbelievable that they would have a 20yr old constantly sitting in the pressbox rather than playing on the farm team. They are destroying this prospect right before our eyes. If I were Jake I'd demand a trade out of town before the damage is too great too overcome.

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
If I had even an inkling that Willie D had a sense of humour, I would think he was just trolling the fans.

So the "plan" for Jake Virtanen turns on where his "stuff" is?

WinterEmpire

Unregistered User
Mar 20, 2011
Vancouver
Just heard the audio quote, i think Willie was being completely serious.

It's pretty clear there is some disconnect between coaching and management. Willie sounded like he expects Jake to be down there for a while but Jim said from the start this was just two games.

Gilbert Brule for a new generation

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Just saw a compilation of all Jake's shots/chances while he was down in Utica...and he looked amazing. I haven't seen him with that kind of drive in over a year now, and it only reaffirms my wanting Jake down in Utica. Let him learn to dominate at a pro level, and grow his game + confidence, or we will never see his full potential.

Do the right thing...pls :/

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
So even Jake was encouraged about how things went in Utica...said he was starting to get his game back, particularly his second outing....skating was better getting shots through to the net. So what do they do?....instead of leaving him there, why they recall him for more press-box duty...and immediately he's back in the same crap with media as before he left....it just keeps getting better and better with this hockey ops group.:shakehead

iloveloov*

1337 intangibles
Apr 24, 2013
Leafs & Canucks
Just saw a compilation of all Jake's shots/chances while he was down in Utica...and he looked amazing. I haven't seen him with that kind of drive in over a year now, and it only reaffirms my wanting Jake down in Utica. Let him learn to dominate at a pro level, and grow his game + confidence, or we will never see his full potential.

Do the right thing...pls :/

??? Pls gib

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
So even Jake was encouraged about how things went in Utica...said he was starting to get his game back, particularly his second outing....skating was better getting shots through to the net. So what do they do?....instead of leaving him there, why they recall him for more press-box duty...and immediately he's back in the same crap with media as before he left....it just keeps getting better and better with this hockey ops group.:shakehead

Linden and Benning thought Jake was doing too much developing and put a stop to it

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
In that highlights package its cringeworthy how many shots Virtanen takes. He's not even trying to make plays, just looks desperate for goals. This is what a complete developmental screw-up looks like; how they didn't teach him how to make a pass in the A before sending him to the NHL I'll never, ever understand. It's also a confidence issue: he feels he needs to show he's offensively capable in his sophomore year when this should be a rookie year for him with offence only a tertiary concern.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
In that highlights package its cringeworthy how many shots Virtanen takes. He's not even trying to make plays, just looks desperate for goals. This is what a complete developmental screw-up looks like; how they didn't teach him how to make a pass in the A before sending him to the NHL I'll never, ever understand. It's also a confidence issue: he feels he needs to show he's offensively capable in his sophomore year when this should be a rookie year for him with offence only a tertiary concern.

He's a shooter, always has been, that's his game. It's not that he doesn't "know how to", it's just that he trusts his shot more than he trusts his passing. I has no problem with any of those shots except maybe 1 or 2. Even if you don't score you get the puck to the net for other players to tip, wack, etc. Honestly he needs to do that more at the NHL level instead of gliding along the boards and shovelling passes back to the point like he does on 80% of plays.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Yeah.. I also find it worthy of cringing that I saw primarily shots in a video that was produced to show his shots.

SaltyKesler

Sep 3, 2015
Vancity

The tweet said it's a video package of his shots directed to the net or otherwise, that's the whole point of it... to show his shots.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
that was fun to watch. some of those were pretty low percentage but not all of them.

i have no idea what to make of this guy. he looks very good in canuck games for about 5-10 second a game.

he does, unfortunately, remind me of kassian that way. which raises the possibility that his weird treatment by the team is related to the team trying to manage other kassian similarities. if he has those other issues, the team might have to keep him here and lie about why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad