Prospect Info: #214 Matthew Hellickson (LD)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I think that this is a player who's stock can rise after his freshman year. He was the leading Dman scorer for Souix City this past season and was 4th on the team in assist.

He's going to a good program in Notre Dame.

In the last year or so he's grown an inch and put on 20 lbs...seems like a classic example of kid that needed a more time to mature physically. I will be really interested in following his freshman year. I think he might surprise.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
Of note, he was a 1st overall pick in the USHL draft last year. However, there's never been a noteworthy 1st overall pick in the USHL draft.

Theo Von

gang gang buzz buzz
Nov 15, 2013
Really like this pick for you guys. Kid could shine at ND. I see solid potential especially for a 7th round pick.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
I've been pumping his tires for a good while now. He has potential.
I lived out in Minnesota the year before he went to the NTDP, he's always been a standout just doesn't play the loudest game, in a good way. Keeps layering on and improving, now a big time guy for ND. Looked great at that red-white game this summer imo, I think he's a steal on the defensive side and might even bring some offense in the NHL

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
I lived out in Minnesota the year before he went to the NTDP, he's always been a standout just doesn't play the loudest game, in a good way. Keeps layering on and improving, now a big time guy for ND. Looked great at that red-white game this summer imo, I think he's a steal on the defensive side and might even bring some offense in the NHL

I totally get the way you described his game. He's never going to "wow" you but you'll rarely notice mistakes and he often times is one of the top players over the course of the game.

Reactions: tealhockey

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
His playing style reminds me of Ryan McDonagh, mind you I'm not saying he'll ever reach that level.

BenedictGomez

Corsi is GROSSLY overrated
Oct 11, 2007
PRNJ
The odds of someone drafted > 200 becoming an NHL player are less than 10%; so if he ever even plays a full season for the Devils it's a homerun of a pick.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don't see NHL upside here. Obviously hard to say this early, but I don't see enough defensive ability to succeed at the NHL level.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I don't see NHL upside here. Obviously hard to say this early, but I don't see enough defensive ability to succeed at the NHL level.
I can't comment one way or another on him since I haven't watched him in a game yet, but those who have in this thread talk about how steady he is and rarely makes mistakes and I've heard this from others outside this forum, what is it you've seen that makes you doubt he has enough defensive ability for the NHL?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I can't comment one way or another on him since I haven't watched him in a game yet, but those who have in this thread talk about how steady he is and rarely makes mistakes and I've heard this from others outside this forum, what is it you've seen that makes you doubt he has enough defensive ability for the NHL?

Anecdotally, he always seems to get favorable zone starts and plays the PP, but not the PK. He generally doesn't run out of position, but I don't feel like he has much of a defensive IQ.

Now I say this as it relates to the NHL game. He seems steady in college where he has the time to make plays, but I don't see quick enough decisions or instincts to succeed in the NHL. Again, early, but we will see.

Reactions: Ronnie Bass

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad