21 seconds

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Can it happen again? Anything is possible but Mosienko's mark is 23 seconds better than second place (Jean Beliveau) which is fairly significant. That difference makes me believe that a record-breaker is highly unlikely. Another remarkable record is when Deron Quint (1995) tied the NHL record with two goals in four seconds. A defenseman who scored 46 career goals is not excatly the prime candidate for that incredible feat so that is why I would never say never to such a mark as Mosienko's.

On a side note, Mosienko's achievement came in the last regular season game that season against a goalie who was playing in his third, and last, NHL game.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
Are there any descriptions/explanations/eyewitness accounts detailing just HOW he did this?
I know you're not asking about Quint's record, but I'll answer anyway :)

It was pretty much a total fluke... he scored a goal on a point shot, and after the face-off at center was won back to him, he dumped it in from the red line on a dump and chase play. It took a funny hop off the glass, and fooled the goalie (who already gone behind the net to play the puck, IIRC).

I always assumed Mosienko's was a similar fluke somehow (I mean, 21 seconds ?!?! It's just so unbelievable!), but the description provided above proves otherwise. I'm betting that one is never broken.

pappyline

Jul 3, 2005
Mass/formerly Ont
I know you're not asking about Quint's record, but I'll answer anyway :)

It was pretty much a total fluke... he scored a goal on a point shot, and after the face-off at center was won back to him, he dumped it in from the red line on a dump and chase play. It took a funny hop off the glass, and fooled the goalie (who already gone behind the net to play the puck, IIRC).

I always assumed Mosienko's was a similar fluke somehow (I mean, 21 seconds ?!?! It's just so unbelievable!), but the description provided above proves otherwise. I'm betting that one is never broken.
Yes, they were pretty clean goals and Mosienko's great speed seemed to be the main factor. Mosienko's great skating ability doesn't get the credit it deserves. When the fastest skater theads come up on these boards he is never mentioned. Yet he was the fastest of his era. In a 1950 skating contest at the Forum, Mosienko was the fastest of anybody on the 6 NHL teams. He was also voted the fastest in a poll of sportswriters.

Ofuzz

Jul 11, 2006
Maybe .........

The record for the fastest 3 goals by one team is 20 seconds (Boston against the Canucks), so I suppose it is possible that Mosienko's 21 second hat trick could be bettered. My guess is that if one were to beat his record, it would probably come in a playoff game when a team is facing elimination. Team A scores a last minute goal to break a tie. Team B pulls it's goalie and gives up an empty netter. Team B, now down by 2 goals but facing elimination would probably keep their net empty. Team A scores again. All by one person? Possible but not likely.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad