Post-Game Talk: 21.r1.g1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Willy looked like a man among boys when he spun Hall like a top. I cannot recall seeing a Cap circling high with no shot/pass option say f*** it I am going through this punk. Smart play instead of the panicked feeble flubbed pass turnover to no one we see all the time. And I loved that on the GWG entry he ripped a quick pass to Oshie. Another fav play of mine from my roller daze, always give the puck quickly to the better offensive player on the rush. Get the goalie moving. Half the time you get it right back anyways.

Ovi beast mode was engaged. Too bad he doesn't do this every game anymore.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Anthony Mantha playing over 19 minutes in a Playoff game and being out there in an even game with 3 minutes left in regulation already shows me that we won the trade short-term. Vrana had no trust from the coaching staff and his minutes would have looked similar to Sprong if he was still here. Would still love for Mantha to produce but atleast he's out there generating chances.

Generating chances and creating turnovers. I don't know what the stats say but he had a few takeaways or just heads-up plays where he intercepted a pass or put himself in position for a contested or loose puck.

People saying he's slow or lazy or disinterested...what are you watching? Mantha is a tall guy and like Chara he's going to cover ground with longer, slower strides. He won't waterbug around the ice with elbows and kneecaps flailing around like a Sheary or Hagelin but I've yet to see him lose a footrace or be out of position due to speed.

You can see him looking for space and trying to anticipate where the puck is going to be, and therefore where he needs to be. He's moving efficiently and doesn't stop and start with a lot of direction changes, which appears "lazy" to those who think lack of leg movement means slow gliding. He's obviously thinking ahead to the next touch because he often makes the exact right finesse pass/drop almost immediately, or at the very last instant in order to draw the defense. His hands are elite.

I think people who criticize him for his play as a Cap so far are just used to EA sports button-mashing attack styles, or something. Probably some perception pollution from the DET fans who had the same complaints.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Play of the game. Need gif.
E1d8v-7WQAUoU5M

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Was at a bar at the beach with friends last night and there was only one TV in the corner without sound so I couldn’t watch it intently but thought they looked pretty good. They looked like a team, which is something I couldn’t say last year. They just seem to have that cohesiveness that’s required to go on a run.

Stick taps to Craig Anderson. He played in five games all season and then comes in cold to sport a .955 save percentage and get the win. I think it was @Hivemind — among others — who asked why Anderson, at 39, would want to take a one year minimum deal just to sit on the Caps taxi squad... well last night was the reason.

Just looked at the box cars and found something interesting... not a single Caps player finished with a minus in +/- for the game. The Bruins had 10 guys who were minus for the game. Pretty big disparity for a 3-2 game. The vaunted Hall-Krecji-Smith line finished at -2, worst among all skaters.

Last edited:

Roughing

Oct 11, 2010
Frederick, MD
Generating chances and creating turnovers. I don't know what the stats say but he had a few takeaways or just heads-up plays where he intercepted a pass or put himself in position for a contested or loose puck.

People saying he's slow or lazy or disinterested...what are you watching? Mantha is a tall guy and like Chara he's going to cover ground with longer, slower strides. He won't waterbug around the ice with elbows and kneecaps flailing around like a Sheary or Hagelin but I've yet to see him lose a footrace or be out of position due to speed.

You can see him looking for space and trying to anticipate where the puck is going to be, and therefore where he needs to be. He's moving efficiently and doesn't stop and start with a lot of direction changes, which appears "lazy" to those who think lack of leg movement means slow gliding. He's obviously thinking ahead to the next touch because he often makes the exact right finesse pass/drop almost immediately, or at the very last instant in order to draw the defense. His hands are elite.

I think people who criticize him for his play as a Cap so far are just used to EA sports button-mashing attack styles, or something. Probably some perception pollution from the DET fans who had the same complaints.

People complaining about Mantha are Vrana fans and/or people who didn't like the trade.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
Watching the replay this morning. How bad was that reffing and it was horrible having to listen to Galley calling it on SN. Almost the entire CBC crew was cheering the bruins. Made me sick. Good luck Caps. 4-1 penalties will be the norm playing against the bruins. Seen it for year with the Habs, regardless of how much the poo goon it up.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA

IMO all of this is spot-on. And I can see how, if someone's a Vrana fan who's comparing Mantha's "lazy" skating style to Vrana's explosive style, the glaring difference would be annoying as hell. So yeah, Mantha wouldn't win a foot race against Vrana, but I think Mantha reads the play much better (and faster) than Vrana does, so he's better at anticipating what'll come next.

I think multiple people here have already compared him to Kozlov, which seems like a decent starting point. (I'm sure there are more recent and accurate examples, but nothing immediately comes to mind.) IIRC, Kozlov didn't use his size anywhere near as much as Mantha, and spent more time on the perimeter--whereas Mantha looks willing to use his size to get into tougher places. We're also getting Mantha in his prime years, as opposed to having Kozlov during the twilight years of his career.

I really like Mantha, and was very happy with the acquisition (even though it came at a major cost). So far, my only real issue is that, as was mentioned earlier, he does occasionally end up getting the same space as one of his line mates--as if he's used to being the guy in that position in that situation, where now he needs to get to a different spot in that situation.

Doc McKenna

A new era 2021
Jan 5, 2009
I thought Mantha looked good. I thought Oshie paid back that punch in the head with his part in the winner very nicely. A goal and assist from Wilson had to hurt. Anyone notice how crappy Dillon and Schultz looked? Neither did I. Lars Eller is a stud. Ov is a missile. Time to crawl in bed with the laptop and watch the replay!!
Eller should never have been traded by the habs. We have Phil Danault as our #1C what an embarrassment. Eller always shows up in the post season as well.

crab

Jan 26, 2019
Willy looked like a man among boys when he spun Hall like a top. I cannot recall seeing a Cap circling high with no shot/pass option say f*** it I am going through this punk. Smart play instead of the feeble flubbed pass turnover to no one we see all the time. And I loved that on the GWG entry he ripped a quick pass to Oshie. Another fav play of mine from my roller daze, always give the puck quickly to the better offensive player on the rush. Get the goalie moving. Half the time you get it right back anyways.

Choooo chooo

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I don't know about you guys, but I always get the feeling that we will win the game when Ovi is shot out of a cannon on the first shift and scores a big goal or throws a huge hit.

You can clearly see how he generates energy and momentum for his team by setting the tone early in the game. To me this is leadership by example, the guys that hit the ice right after him also came out all fired up.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Willy looked like a man among boys when he spun Hall like a top. I cannot recall seeing a Cap circling high with no shot/pass option say f*** it I am going through this punk. Smart play instead of the feeble flubbed pass turnover to no one we see all the time. And I loved that on the GWG entry he ripped a quick pass to Oshie. Another fav play of mine from my roller daze, always give the puck quickly to the better offensive player on the rush. Get the goalie moving. Half the time you get it right back anyways.

It appears, not sure why, maybe you can tell me, but it appears from watching playoffs Ov that regular season Ov is coasting now.

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Watching the replay this morning. How bad was that reffing and it was horrible having to listen to Galley calling it on SN. Almost the entire CBC crew was cheering the bruins. Made me sick. Good luck Caps. 4-1 penalties will be the norm playing against the bruins. Seen it for year with the Habs, regardless of how much the poo goon it up.

All of the media has the Bruins. The production teams are projecting the Bruins. As such they are using their game production to prepare for later rounds. The Caps are just the opposition.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
It appears, not sure why, maybe you can tell me, but it appears from watching playoffs Ov that regular season Ov is coasting now.

At the age of 35 with a team that was a lock to qualify for the playoffs, it makes sense that he saved his juice for the real games. We don't need him to tire himself out by playing like this for 56-82 games. He has the personal accolades already, he'd much rather get a 2nd ring for sure.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Ovie has been playoff monster for the last two years aswell, but team didnt follow. He was true Conn Smythe against the Canes.

What we were lacking was other guys buying in and not hiding behind Ovie. So far so good. Whats making the difference is Lavi trusting his 4th line and not giving easy outs to passengers like Kuzy and Vrana and leading behind the bench and holding everyone responsible, and Chara bringing that level of demand and commitment too. Lots of leadership stuff behind the everyday routines that you cant fake, like Reirden tried to.

Its so early still though and Bruins firing on all cylinders will be much harder to handle than they were g1. Its going to be hell of a series.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

From a hitting perspective, it seems like the entire NHL regular season is almost hit free. Willy throws one monster hit and being the only big hit in the NHL that month, it sends the masses into witch hunt mode.

Regardless Ovi's insane hit rate was destined to wane as he got older - what other player of his ilk has led the monster hit parade for 15 straight years. Don't say Troy Brouwer. NHL 'hit' stats are a joke of course. I am talking proper thumps and trucks.

Reactions: Alexander the Gr8

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
From a hitting perspective, it seems like the entire NHL regular season is almost hit free. Willy throws one monster hit and being the only big hit in the NHL that month, it sends the masses into witch hunt mode.

Regardless Ovi's insane hit rate was destined to wane as he got older - what other player of his ilk has led the monster hit parade for 15 straight years. Don't say Troy Brouwer. NHL 'hit' stats are a joke of course. I am talking proper thumps and trucks.

Lou Fransciscetti?

Reactions: RandyHolt

max21

NBA Yungboy
Apr 17, 2019
Virginia
If you were drunk I wanted to assure you that its true. The Capitals beat the Bruins in a playoff game with Craig Anderson.
Girlfriend makes a really good old fashioned, def had one too many. Anderson seems like an easy guy to root for, ppl saying he’s a good playoff goalie. I don’t remember watching him much other then the Pens Sens series in 2017

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
What a game that was. Didnt have time to comment in the night, so intense. Proud of Caps, just as I told after NYR games. LFG!

One thing Id like to add: didnt notice much effect from Sprong. I think he's weak link, and if guys will let Kuzy back Sprong will sit and rightfully so imho. It will be a clear upgrade, and then Sprong could be inserted back if someone is dinged.

Raffl is good addition, useful player and seemingly with good attitude. He should play (and stay next season).

Im thrilled. And calm. Wasnt panicking in OT at all. So fresh feeling :P

But G2 could be another story. Id let guys to play against Boston without Kuzy and let him get back in shape for the sake of experiment :P Im confident Caps can beat Boston as is. The only concern is Boston attacking our goalie again an again, and its only G1.

Reactions: bur and 666 others

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Anyway, back to the post I was typing while they scored and reviewed that....

Japanese whisky > Scotch whisky > other whisky > rum > vodka > gin > tequila
Scatter weird liqueurs sporadically thru the list
False.

Much of Japanese whiskey *is* Scotch, and just about all of it that's actually produced in Japan mimics Scotch.

Scotch Whisky > all other spirits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->