21 Players With 80+ Points In 17/18

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
There were 21 players who put up 80+ points this season.

Last season there were 7. So, if I'm a math major, that's 3x the players getting 80+.

Likewise, there were 8 40+ goals scorers this season. Last season, there were 3.

There were 22 30-39 goal getters in 16/17, compared to 23 in 17/18, a hair more.

There were 69 20-29 goal scorers in 16/17, compared to 85 20-29 goals 17/18. That's a good difference.

All together, scoring and point getting was up.

What happened? More talent? Better forwards? Game is changing? Rules and Refs?

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
How many more power plays were called this season? Weren’t they calling every slash and “slash” early?

I thought power plays were the reason for more goals after the 2004 lockout

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami
How many more power plays were called this season? Weren’t they calling every slash and “slash” early?

I thought power plays were the reason for more goals after the 2004 lockout
That's a great thought. I am not sure how to find out how many PP's there were, nor how many resulted in goals and assists.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Pretty sure the number of PP's ended up not making too big of a difference in the end. I'll bet that the slashing crackdown made the biggest difference of all. Slashing has become the new hooking and with out that crutch, star players are thriving again.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The biggest jump was in the number of 70 point guys. After the last work stoppage there were fewer than 20 players a year that hit 70. This past year it was like 35 guys who hit that number.

See if it continues.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Pretty sure the number of PP's ended up not making too big of a difference in the end. I'll bet that the slashing crackdown made the biggest difference of all. Slashing has become the new hooking and with out that crutch, star players are thriving again.
This. PPs don’t necessarily have to be the direct cause, but if players know that the refs are far more likely to call it now, will dissuade players from doing it as much, opening up the game.

Not having star scorers hands slashed constantly can only help scoring.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'd say it was a combination of things.

Penalties for slashing were called much more tightly which led to an increase in PPs and thus more opportunities, especially for the Star players to score goals and produce points. The goaltending gear change also played a role in it I suspect, as goalies in general had a save percentage drop from the normal rate.

The penalties tightening up also meant defenders were forced to give guys more time and space to make plays because they couldn't get at the hands with slashes or anything anymore like they could in previous years so on top of extra PP time the star players had that extra half second of time to make plays happen.

Reactions: CanuckCity

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
There's just more talent. Young talent is emerging a lot faster than players are declining.

I think we'll continue to see this number rise for a while.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
The NHL was also a lot better back then. Way more skill and less dumb fast grinders
Think it was kind of the opposite. The difference between top end players and the bottom 6 players was pretty massive back then compared to where the gap today has gotten a lot closer. Everyone in the league has to be a decent skater now if they want to survive imo. I don't think the top end of players has changed that much over the years.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
PPs maybe, but the game is getting younger and faster. There’s more skill than ever. It’s bound to increase scoring.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
In 16/17, five players had 30 or more PP points, last season there were nineteen.

In 16/17, four players had 60 or more ES points, last season there were nine.

Scoring on the PP was the biggest reason for the rise in scoring along with a lesser rise in ES scoring.

Comments about the talent level of the league are questionable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad