Post-Game Talk: #21| Pittsburgh Penguins @ New York Islanders | February 28th | 5:00 PM | F/W 2-0

scott99

May 13, 2005
It’s all about team defense. Both goalies are very talented, and when the team plays good team defense, usually we get great results. The 1st 3 games for Sorokin, he was facing 28 shots per game against. I was always wondering why the team played great team defense in front of Varlamov, but not Sorokin. Now his last 2 games, averaging 20 shots a game against. Team defense is the key.

Reactions: BarzyClub

ekill08x

Oct 29, 2011
Aside from some stupid penalties, thought everyone has a solid game.
Agreed. Biggest issue outside of what you said, not finishing on some chances that couldn't have been any easier. Beau needs to start putting the puck in the net or hes needs to see less ice and Wahlstrom needs to see more.

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
More like "when I reached for the crotch, I felt a dick".

I just made this, think you will like...

J0lWS5x.png

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Great win. Wahlstrom's shot is how Pulock's shot should be. Nice game from everyone, but I think Komarov played really well today. Lee and Eberle were a little quiet, but hard to complain on a back to back.

Reactions: buud, SI and MJF

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Great game and it is fantastic watching Wahlstrom and Sorokin continue to grow as players. Seeing young players step up is the cherry on top.
Islanders were constructed, or evolved as a win now team with mainly veteran players. Breaking into the lineup is no gimme, but we needed to find some bodies to hopefully fill spots that were missing.
This is where Dobson and Wally have made themselves serviceable now, but developing to a higher level in the future. Add Sorokin to that, and hopefully Bellows earns a spot later on.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I just love listening to Trotz after a game. He doesn't give you the cliches, but always gives you thoughtful answers. You can hear why he is a great coach in the way he analyzes a game. Made a point the save Sorokin made late in the 2nd that could have been the turning point. Little observations like this one, tell a bigger picture.

Reactions: periferal

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
Great win. Wahlstrom's shot is how Pulock's shot should be. Nice game from everyone, but I think Komarov played really well today. Lee and Eberle were a little quiet, but hard to complain on a back to back.

Speaking of Pulock, this is a pretty interesting year for our top dmen. Pulock will never have that shot because he just has a hard shot. If there was ever a Fulton Reid, it's Pulock. The shot is hard and nothing else. Wally has a snipe. A goal scoring rocket. Not just a hard a shot -- a shot that explodes off his stick and is moving faster than it seems it should and is accurate. And we see it both in his one-timer and his wrister. He could end up being lethal of us. Way too early to go nuts but really encouraging to see a winger show signs of blossoming.

Back to Pulock, I'm surprised what he's turned into. We though we had an offensive player but I think he's been better than Pelech on defense this year. He's very economic in his play and plays really solid in his skates. Pelech has figured the game out and because he's a much better skater, and because he reads the play so well, is jumping into the offensive play more and doing more with open space. Pretty interesting evolution of our top pairing.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Islanders were constructed, or evolved as a win now team with mainly veteran players. Breaking into the lineup is no gimme, but we needed to find some bodies to hopefully fill spots that were missing.
This is where Dobson and Wally have made themselves serviceable now, but developing to a higher level in the future. Add Sorokin to that, and hopefully Bellows earns a spot later on.

I have a hunch that down the line, if Bellows is going to earn a permanent spot, it may be as an eventual replacement for Clutter and his role.

A player who can pop in some goals, hit and agitate but, in order to do so, Bellows still needs to improve his skating, play a smarter overall game (specifically take better angles to cut off opponents) and be defensively responsible.

If he can do that, he could have a role in a year or two. But the clock is ticking and that job could easily be snatched by a player like MDC (assuming he keeps evolving his game and plays with more of an edge), Timashov or a host of other players in the system.

Reactions: CRYHAVOC

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
Which is how this team can transition from veterans to young ins that are getting developed properly and learning to win early on in their NHL careers.

Integrate them into the lineup, not throw them in.

Reactions: mm11

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Only because he broke his stick does he get a penalty. He does that bullshit every game.
Just watching it now, and I'm stuck with the Pens' feed. Their announcer didn't think it was a penalty, just 'a little push'. Either that 'little push' was hard enough to break his stick, or he was playing with one that was already broken.:huh:

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
About a minute after Pageau made it 2-0, the Pens' announcer said "all we need is a powerplay, and we'll be right back in it". Ignoring the blatant homerism, I guess he didn't watch the previous game: 1-for-5 on the PP, and that pure luck.

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
Speaking of Pulock, this is a pretty interesting year for our top dmen. Pulock will never have that shot because he just has a hard shot. If there was ever a Fulton Reid, it's Pulock. The shot is hard and nothing else. Wally has a snipe. A goal scoring rocket. Not just a hard a shot -- a shot that explodes off his stick and is moving faster than it seems it should and is accurate. And we see it both in his one-timer and his wrister. He could end up being lethal of us. Way too early to go nuts but really encouraging to see a winger show signs of blossoming.

Back to Pulock, I'm surprised what he's turned into. We though we had an offensive player but I think he's been better than Pelech on defense this year. He's very economic in his play and plays really solid in his skates. Pelech has figured the game out and because he's a much better skater, and because he reads the play so well, is jumping into the offensive play more and doing more with open space. Pretty interesting evolution of our top pairing.
Pulock's shot is still a threat, but not the threat we thought it would be. He's like more talented Johnny Boychuk than a Shea Weber. Needless to say, he's been a joy to watch, and having him paired with Pelech has done wonders for his defensive game.

Reactions: MJF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->