Player Discussion #21 - David Schlemko

Gabe84

Bring back Bonk!
Feb 13, 2007
Montreal, QC
Did anyone see the game? How was he?
I've seen him 3 times now in Laval and I've been impressed each time. He clearly looks way too good for the AHL. The guy skates very well, has good enough size, can handle the puck well and has decent vision. He's made some pretty nifty plays that I did not expect from him.

I'm actually pretty excited to see him play in the NHL. I think the fans will really like him. He will help with our mobility and offense from the back-end.

EDIT: just to be clear, he's not an offensive dman but I think he has better tools than Benn or Alzner.

Jul 6, 2016
I've seen him 3 times now in Laval and I've been impressed each time. He clearly looks way too good for the AHL. The guy skates very well, has good enough size, can handle the puck well and has decent vision. He's made some pretty nifty plays that I did not expect from him.

I'm actually pretty excited to see him play in the NHL. I think the fans will really like him. He will help with our mobility and offense from the back-end.

EDIT: just to be clear, he's not an offensive dman but I think he has better tools than Benn or Alzner.

With the (recently) improved Petry and Jerebek, the D-Corp is taking shape slowly but surely.... Too bad the team is in such a bad position. I won't believe in that team until they reach arecord of five wins more than total losses .

Reactions: Hot Dog Water Shaw

KKWG11

Nov 25, 2017
How long can he stay on a "conditioning stint" ? wondering if they can keep him on there long enough to find a trading partner for davidson... Or we may loose him for nothing on waivers.... Should be able to get something for him if they got something for Mitchell

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Thanks for the info, there were alot of Sharks fans who did not want to lose this guy...................saying he was a decent 4-5-6 type of guy.

llamateizer

Mar 16, 2007
Montreal
How long can he stay on a "conditioning stint" ? wondering if they can keep him on there long enough to find a trading partner for davidson... Or we may loose him for nothing on waivers.... Should be able to get something for him if they got something for Mitchell

13.8 Conditioning Loan. Unless a Player consents, he shall not be Loaned on a Conditioning Loan to a minor league club. Such Conditioning Loan shall not extend for more than fourteen (14) consecutive days. The Commissioner may take whatever steps he deems necessary to investigate the circumstances under which a Player is Loaned on a Conditioning Loan. If the Commissioner has reason to believe or determines that the Club has used the Conditioning Loan to evade the Re-Entry Waivers, or otherwise Circumvent any provision of this Agreement, he may take such disciplinary action against the Club, as he deems appropriate. The Player shall continue, during the period of such Conditioning Loan, to receive the same Paragraph 1 NHL Salary, and be entitled to the same benefits, that he would have received had he continued to play with the Club.

Reactions: KKWG11

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
He may have been acquired in the off-season, the fact he just played his first games is almost like he's a new acquisition.

Same goes for Jerabek.

You can even say this about Price. Even if he played this year, ever since he came back, it's almost as if Habs just acquired a top goalie.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
With Schlemko and Jerabek now in the lineup, we can see that Bergevin was right. Our defense is better than last year, and we won our last four games without our best D. Adaptation was needed and the atrocious play by Price to begin the year did not help. But now we see all the pieces coming together. Jerabek is looking good and very promising. Add Mete and Juulsen to that in the coming years. I think Bergevin knew what he was doing.

Reactions: sharks9 and Souffle

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
With Schlemko and Jerabek now in the lineup, we can see that Bergevin was right. Our defense is better than last year, and we won our last four games without our best D. Adaptation was needed and the atrocious play by Price to begin the year did not help. But now we see all the pieces coming together. Jerabek is looking good and very promising. Add Mete and Juulsen to that in the coming years. I think Bergevin knew what he was doing.
D is certainly not as bad as earlier in the season but it's still very average and not as good as last year... Who has replaced Markov's offense and smarts?

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Markov will turn 39 in three weeks. His point per game in the KHLthis year is below what Jerabek did last year in the same league. It was a good decision to part ways and invest in the development of Jerabek. Bergevin had good vision and Mete came in as a surprise. We are investing this year in the reshaping of this defence, and with Lindgren and a Price back to good play, it is better than last year with potential of getting even better with time since we invest in younger players. Jerabek is already good and will only get better, same for Mete.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Markov will turn 39 in three weeks. His point per game in the KHLthis year is below what Jerabek did last year in the same league. It was a good decision to part ways and invest in the development of Jerabek. Bergevin had good vision and Mete came in as a surprise. We are investing this year in the reshaping of this defence, and with Lindgren and a Price back to good play, it is better than last year with potential of getting even better with time since we invest in younger players. Jerabek is already good and will only get better, same for Mete.
It wasn't his decision to part ways. Bergevin admitted he wanted him back but Markov wasn't going to wait until September like Bergevin wanted. I don't care what he does in the KHL, we could definitely use him right now instead of Alzner. Markov is one of the best passers in the league, and would help this team greatly. You can still develop Jerabek while having Markov, just don't sign Alzner to that big of a contract. I love how people give credit to Bergevin when he didn't intend to do a move. He desperately wanted Markov(and Radulov) back, but played hardball and lost.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
It wasn't his decision to part ways. Bergevin admitted he wanted him back but Markov wasn't going to wait until September like Bergevin wanted. I don't care what he does in the KHL, we could definitely use him right now instead of Alzner. Markov is one of the best passers in the league, and would help this team greatly. You can still develop Jerabek while having Markov, just don't sign Alzner to that big of a contract. I love how people give credit to Bergevin when he didn't intend to do a move. He desperately wanted Markov(and Radulov) back, but played hardball and lost.

A left side comprised of Markov, Schlemko and Jerabek wouldn't look too bad.

Reactions: No More Subban

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Jerabek will be the new Markov. Too bad Markov wanted too much term.

Markov's gone. Schlemko is doing well.

I wish you would have kept Pateryn in your Username. It fits you better.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Jerabek will be the new Markov. Too bad Markov wanted too much term.

Markov's gone. Schlemko is doing well.

I wish you would have kept Pateryn in your Username. It fits you better.
Lmao, Jerabek will be the new Markov. Can he play 10 games before you say that? Markov wanted too much term? He wanted 1 year... Schlemko is doing well, look at my previous posts, I love this trade and think that he is vastly superior than Beaulieu. But he shouldn't be in the top 4. Excellent #5 dman, but I just don't think he should be a solution for the top 4. I'm also fine with my username.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I don't have any problem with Schlemko in the top 4 as Petry is an ok #3 most of the time and it would mean Alzner would be our #5 vs being the #3 which is not where he should be since he has almost zero offensive game. Alzner as a #5 isn't that bad despite being overpaid. Schlemko did put up 37 pts in 129 games in the last 2 seasons with SJ and NJ. Over 82 games that works out to 24 pts which would be good enough for a 2nd pairing D.

I still wish we had Markov though, and while hindsight is 20/20 I think they really missed the boat with the chance to have a Markov Sergachev pairing. Could have set us up nicely for years to come as I think Sergachev would have learned a ton from Markov.

But now we have to hope Jerabek is able to produce. Like what I've seen from him so far but we'll see if that translates or not.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I don't have any problem with Schlemko in the top 4 as Petry is an ok #3 most of the time and it would mean Alzner would be our #5 vs being the #3 which is not where he should be since he has almost zero offensive game. Alzner as a #5 isn't that bad despite being overpaid. Schlemko did put up 37 pts in 129 games in the last 2 seasons with SJ and NJ. Over 82 games that works out to 24 pts which would be good enough for a 2nd pairing D.

I still wish we had Markov though, and while hindsight is 20/20 I think they really missed the boat with the chance to have a Markov Sergachev pairing. Could have set us up nicely for years to come as I think Sergachev would have learned a ton from Markov.

But now we have to hope Jerabek is able to produce. Like what I've seen from him so far but we'll see if that translates or not.

Cant help but like Jerabek. Hes a good one IMO. Could be a famtastic pick up for us.

Reactions: montreal

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Another good game for Schlemko. No points but +5. And I may be wrong, but I think he's been playing on the right side in his 3 games. I know he did tonight playing with Mete. But I think he also did playing with Jerabek.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
D is certainly not as bad as earlier in the season but it's still very average and not as good as last year... Who has replaced Markov's offense and smarts?

Beaulieu and Nesterov would be #8 and #9 on our current depth chart. Emelin would be a 6 or 7on this squad. This is a very good NHL D corps and easily better than most. The only glaring hole is at center. With a ton of cap space it may be easier to fill that hole than you may think. Bring in a true #1 center and this team is a legitimate contender.

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Nesterov was terrible, and Beaulieu never put it together but I'd play him over Alzner or Benn just for his skating.

The D this year has been way worse than the advanced stats show so far, but we'll see with Schlemko and Jerabek. Not that many shots given up but too many high danger shots and way, way too many two players in alone toying with the goalie chances that you just don't see in the NHL other than from the habs this year. Signing Alzer was nuts, as was trading Sergachev and his entry level contract, you have to ride those contracts and the 2-3 years of low cost play. Get an extra player with the savings (Radulov). Not let players go so you can trade for an older more expensive player and then lose someone (Radulov). The habs are really missing someone who drives the offensive play in a way Drouin doesn't (Radulov).

Ditch Alzner, sign Radulov, avoid trading Sergachev, and you can sign Markov while retaining Cap Space as the thirteenth forward. As usual MB's signings (Jerabek) and cheap pick ups (Schlemko) look good but the big moves make the habs older, slower, and easier to play against.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Patches misses Therrien's grinding system. No one to grind the puck in the corner and put it right on his stick while he's idle.

I would trade him for a center, he is a passenger on most nights and it should be obvious by now that he will never be any different. It would be a move towards a new direction once he is gone and I realise how he scores goals but I also know that his contract will net us the best return on the team. If he stays here it will be unbearable to watch him at 7-8 million per year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad