Player Discussion #21 - David Schlemko

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
The fan base and media here are as much of a drag on the team as the Leafs' were the last decade. Players like Bealieu and Emelin are thrown under the bus and dumped. The fan base and the media shout about their weaknesses. They get traded for mediocre players and the GM can say it's an improvement, "look, we have a mediocre defence instead of those losers we dumped" and then they get scored on over and over and the defence is unable to get the puck to the forwards.

The previous group had flaws, well, other than Subban, he was pretty much good at everything, but they all had positives. Beaulieu could skate, Emelin could hit, Markov could pass. Sure they all had obvious problems, but as a group they did pretty well.

Back in the early '90s the habs did the same thing. They had a really good defence and they started trading them for other random cheaper guys. Then they didn't have a good defence.

There's no point in hating the players. It's all in the usage. Desharnais was good but overused, so was Bouillon. There are better guys in the league than Emelin overall but he made up for a lot on a non-physical defence. There are better overall players than Beaulieu but most of them make more than $1 million/year and none of them skate like him.

The team has to stop getting rid of people and start acquiring players who can help. Was the trade for Weber a case of getting Weber or of jettisoning Subban? Was the trade for Drouin a trade for a dynamic center or a trade for a francophone player since the habs haven't drafted any?

How many trades since '93 would the habs make with hindsight? Half? A quarter? A very small fraction? How many of those trades were pushed by incorrect fan and media pressure? Undervaluing your own players and trading them for league average guys only works if the team is already bad. Doing it for a winning team just loses value. Beaulieu and Emelin are flawed but they are both better than a lot of the guys here.

Thread is about Schlemko... No issue with Schlemko, but he's yet another sort of OK player replacing guys who were here. As with many of the other moves he's fine, and the move to acquire him was OK on its own but the total impact of those moves was bad (less so this one than many others). These moves would happen less if the habs, the media, and the fans could avoid flaming reasonably good players quite so assiduously.

Last edited:
Reactions: ArtPeur

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
It was only for a 5th round pick but what a bad player. I hope we will trade him this summer.

It's still 2.1M for 3 years. Another wasted contract. Even if it was just for a 5th, we love when we acquire one pick, not sure why giving them for nothing is not that big of a deal. Just like the pick for King. And Ott etc.

Reactions: Tyson

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
It's still 2.1M for 3 years. Another wasted contract. Even if it was just for a 5th, we love when we acquire one pick, not sure why giving them for nothing is not that big of a deal. Just like the pick for King. And Ott etc.

He's already the 7th d-man and I expect him to be the 8th d-man next year (him and Benn). Benn or Schlemko has to go this summer. Benn has more value with his contract.

Reactions: Tyson

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006

Didn't even realize his contract was so bad. :laugh:

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
It was only for a 5th round pick but what a bad player. I hope we will trade him this summer.

Feels like the story of Bergy.

If we could add in the "he only makes a million so he can buried in the AHL" comment we'd have all basis covered when defending his moves

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He is awful. I remember Chris Nilan talking about how Schlemko would solidify the blueline when he started playing , after recovering from his injury.. and how our D was going to be big time improved. It was then I knew we were in trouble, because if that blowhard starts celebrating a Bergy acquisition, you know its going to suck.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Feels like the story of Bergy.

If we could add in the "he only makes a million so he can buried in the AHL" comment we'd have all basis covered when defending his moves

That was most of the Bergy moves are. ''No biggie, low risk moves, we can bury them, depth purposes......And the moves are big, it's ''Well it's Weber, you don't ask for more'' or ''let's deal our best prospect for a player we will have to transform and HOPE for the best''. And people wonder why we want him out.....

Going back to Schlemko....I'm still waiting to see the part where we will be so impressed by him.

Reactions: Apoplectic Habs Fan

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
That was most of the Bergy moves are. ''No biggie, low risk moves, we can bury them, depth purposes......And the moves are big, it's ''Well it's Weber, you don't ask for more'' or ''let's deal our best prospect for a player we will have to transform and HOPE for the best''. And people wonder why we want him out.....

Going back to Schlemko....I'm still waiting to see the part where we will be so impressed by him.

I like his beard.

Reactions: Whitesnake

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
It was always going to be a tough year for schlemko considering the way it started. I think with a full training camp under his belt, he will come back better, but we are talking about marginal improvements, and this team requires quantum leaps.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad