HF Habs: 21-22 lineup

Aug 25, 2009
éal
Looking at the Rocket statsheet got me thinking : there is a number of candidates to graduate into the NHL next season, there.
  • Ryan Poehling
  • Jesse Ylonen
  • Lukas Vejdemo
  • Cale Fleury
Some of them will play this year or already got NHL experience (Leskinen, Primeau, Fleury, most probably Caufield). And then there is some other like Josh Brook, Joel Teasdale and Rafael Harvey-Pinard who might not be quite ready, but are not very far off neither.

For the first time since I dont know when, the pipeline coming from the farm is full. Will there be room for some of them to join the Canadiens next year?

Up front, I think it's fair to say at least one of Danault, Tatar and Drouin is gone, whether it's by the free agent market or trade. Staal and Perry won't be coming back neither. Byron is probably as good as gone too.

So you have Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Evans, Toffoli, Anderson, Gallagher coming back for sure - then probably Lehkonen, Armia and two of Danault/Drouin/Tatar.

That's two spot : so you have room for Caufield and two others. If Ylonen could play LW he would have a chance but I dont think there's room for him next year, another year in the AHL would benefit him anyway. Poehling as a lefty is more likely.

Toffoli - Suzuki - Caufield
Tatar - Kotkaniemi - Caufield
Poehling - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Evans - Armia
Vejdemo

And on the backend we will probably see the same group, maybe with Kulak leaving but I think they would keep him as a 7th. Only playing in the farm who would fill a need is a puck-moving one, like Leskinen, but I'm not sure he has NHL upside, or Brook, who might be too green to join the show yet.

Kotkaniemi - Gallagher
Suzuki - Toffoli
Armia - Danault - Gallagher

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I would say. Poehling deserve a true chAnce. He is producing on a good pace in the AHL which is could be a great sign of progression. Ylonen can play another year in the AHL and couldnt be bad. Vejdemo is a borderline 4th liner imo and fleury, i really didnt followed him. Personnally, i wouldnt resign tatar. He regress and he will probably want a good contract. I would sign Danault on a right price. His defensive side of the game is a little underevalued and i hink he wants to stay. He will have to have a meeting with his agent

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would say. Poehling deserve a true chAnce. He is producing on a good pace in the AHL which is could be a great sign of progression. Ylonen can play another year in the AHL and couldnt be bad. Vejdemo is a borderline 4th liner imo and fleury, i really didnt followed him. Personnally, i wouldnt resign tatar. He regress and he will probably want a good contract. I would sign Danault on a right price. His defensive side of the game is a little underevalued and i hink he wants to stay. He will have to have a meeting with his agent

If if came down to it... I choose Tatar over both Lehkonen and Armia. If you had to choose... Who do you pick from the 3? I say one of them stays.

Tatar won't be able to cash in and he will get Toffoli treatment on his next deal. Not just from the Habs, from all teams. It's possible Tatar signs for 1 or 2 years.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
IMO Poehling, Ylonen and Fleury are the only ones who are Habs bound in the next 12-months.

Vejdemo and Brooks are trade baits / AHL fodder.

Really hurts me to say so especially in Vejdemo’s case given his background story of his mother suddenly passing away so young...I’ve been pulling for him, but he’s what 25 now?

This also represents then unfortunate reality of prospect, say team x has 10-picks a very good drafting & development team might turn 2-of them into NHLers (on avg)

Last edited:
Reactions: DAChampion

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Drouin, Kulak, Byron, who are not UFAs, could be adequately replaced with Poehling, Vejdemo or Evans, and Leskinen.

Perry might be worth keeping.

Caulfield can replace one of Tatar or Armia, Danault should stay.

Toffoli-Kotkaniemi-Anderson
Caulfield-Suzuki-Perry
Lehkonen-Danault-Gallagher
Evans-Poehling-Vejdemo

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Drouin, Kulak, Byron, who are not UFAs, could be adequately replaced with Poehling, Vejdemo or Evans, and Leskinen.

Perry might be worth keeping.

Caulfield can replace one of Tatar or Armia, Danault should stay.

Toffoli-Kotkaniemi-Anderson
Caulfield-Suzuki-Perry
Lehkonen-Danault-Gallagher
Evans-Poehling-Vejdemo
Perry is a 4th liner at this point of his career, expecting more is a receipe for failure IMO.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Looking at the Rocket statsheet got me thinking : there is a number of candidates to graduate into the NHL next season, there.
  • Ryan Poehling
  • Jesse Ylonen
  • Lukas Vejdemo
  • Cale Fleury
Some of them will play this year or already got NHL experience (Leskinen, Primeau, Fleury, most probably Caufield). And then there is some other like Josh Brook, Joel Teasdale and Rafael Harvey-Pinard who might not be quite ready, but are not very far off neither.

For the first time since I dont know when, the pipeline coming from the farm is full. Will there be room for some of them to join the Canadiens next year?

Up front, I think it's fair to say at least one of Danault, Tatar and Drouin is gone, whether it's by the free agent market or trade. Staal and Perry won't be coming back neither. Byron is probably as good as gone too.

So you have Kotkaniemi, Suzuki, Evans, Toffoli, Anderson, Gallagher coming back for sure - then probably Lehkonen, Armia and two of Danault/Drouin/Tatar.

That's two spot : so you have room for Caufield and two others. If Ylonen could play LW he would have a chance but I dont think there's room for him next year, another year in the AHL would benefit him anyway. Poehling as a lefty is more likely.

Lehkonen - Evans - Armia
Vejdemo

And on the backend we will probably see the same group, maybe with Kulak leaving but I think they would keep him as a 7th. Only playing in the farm who would fill a need is a puck-moving one, like Leskinen, but I'm not sure he has NHL upside, or Brook, who might be too green to join the show yet.

Kotkaniemi - Gallagher
Suzuki - Toffoli

Caufield is so good that he plays on 2 lines

Aug 25, 2009
éal
People might be sleeping on Vejdemo. He is a late bloomer. I think he can become a NHLer, a 13th guy mostly but who can be called upon when there's injury. I'd rather have him playing 10 minutes 1 every 2 game than Ylonen.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I wouldn't consider Perry a goner either. That mostly depends on what he sees himself as. If he wants to stay here on a low salary, why not?
I'm pretty sure Armia and Tatar are gone, however.

gillyguzzler

Jan 21, 2007
Ontario
People might be sleeping on Vejdemo. He is a late bloomer. I think he can become a NHLer, a 13th guy mostly but who can be called upon when there's injury. I'd rather have him playing 10 minutes 1 every 2 game than Ylonen.
The team's fitness guy said that Vejdemo is the best athlete, hardest worker, best skater and best prepared player on the team. Doesn't make him an NHL player but it's positive.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
  • Ryan Poehling
  • Jesse Ylonen
  • Lukas Vejdemo
  • Cale Fleury

Lehkonen - Evans - Armia
Vejdemo

Kotkaniemi - Gallagher
Suzuki - Toffoli

I would like Poehling to get one more full year in Laval developing as a center. I suppose if he shows in camp he may be able to be a 20 goal scoring winger, that will complicate things. But I want to Max our his development time as a center.

I could see Fleury being the next Juulsen or Mete - lost because he hadn't developed quick enough after being rushed.

Ylonen and RHP could also use another year in Laval.

Vejdemo, I'm indifferent to. Lehkonen an Armia bring more, if they're willing to take a pay cut.

My 2021-2022 lineup:

Caufield Kotkaniemi Gallagher
_________ Suzuki Toffoli
Tatar Danault Anderson
______ ________ Evans
______

Lehkonen and Armia can fill the 4th line slots if they're willing to take a pay cut. Perry can also come back. Maybe Stall too. As long as their salaries are sub 1M.

Edmundson Petry
Romanov Weber
Merrill Chiarot/Fleury
______

We can move kulak.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Poehling and Ylonen to play in the AHL. Let them force you to make a trade to open up a spot. Ylonen will need another full season, Poehling might force his way into the NHL later on that year.

Vejdemo can easily be a 4th line winger next season. He’s 25 and he’s not going to show you more in the AHL. His speed will be welcome.

Kulak should be easy to trade. The Habs can likely re-sign both Merrill and Gustafsson for less than what he makes, which would be the smart move.

Reactions: 26Mats

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Caufield, Poehling will be in for sure. Ylonen in Laval for further development.

Defense is harder to predict because Bergevin likes to bring in all kinds of vet presence as depth (Streit, Alzner, Schlemko, Edmundson, Kulak, Ouellet, Merrill, Gustafsson, etc) so it might be hard for Leskinen, Fleury or Brook to crack the roster.

-Top-7 should be KK, Suzuki, Danault, Gallagher, Anderson, Toffoli and Caufield. 2 more spots between: Tatar, Armia, Drouin
-4th line and extras choose between: Poehling, Byron, Perry, Staal, Lehkonen, Evans, Vejdemo
-Defense is a complete wildcard, I think only Perry and Romanov are 100% back. Others could be gone to Seattle or via trade
-Goalies should be Price-Allen. If one of them is picked by Seattle I hope we leave Primeau in Laval.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Ylonen should be in Laval next year, maybe at some point he gets some games. He'll be 22 when next season starts but keep in mind he's played only 21 AHL games so far. He needs to work on adding mass, strength. No need to rush him.

Poehling certainly looks like he could challenge for a roster spot next year, the question then becomes where, and what's best, if it ends up being on the 4th line is that better for him then 1st line in Laval with a call up later in the year? Poehling turns 23 mid season next year, but he's currently at 62 AHL games and 28 NHL games. S0 90 pro games isn't a ton, and next season is the last he can go to Laval without waivers so the Habs are in a good spot with him, he doesn't have to make the team, but if he forces his way then so be it.

Fleury has to make the team though he might clear waivers. He'll be 23 a month into next season. He's played 92 AHL games with 33 pts, which isn't bad. Last year when he was sent down he looked like shit defensively but was ok offensively. This year he's looked much better defensively but struggled offensively. With him being injured I could see him needing another year in Laval but we'll see if the Habs will want to risk waivers or try trading him.

Vejdemo is a tough call as I've never been a big fan but the last 2 years he's looked much better but injuries/callups have gotten in the way. He was hot last year then went sent back to Laval later in the season he was terrible. This year he was hot again but this time he got injured. I think he's a guy that certainly could challenge for a 4th line or 13/14th forward as hopefully we won't be in such a bad way cap wise somehow so that we can carry 23 all season. He'll turn 26 mid season so it's time to see what he can do. If not he's a really good depth guy to have around for Laval. He's a UFA but I would assume he's re-signed.

Brook he's a darkhorse guy that if he has a great off-season where he adds mass and strength he could surprise and steal a job but on the other hand I could see him going to Laval and having a breakout year as you can really see the confidence growing in the offensive zone. They don't need to rush him and so far it's been great the way he's been handled. He will need to be with someone like Chiarot/Edmundson as he is likely always going to be shaky in his own end as I do worry about the IQ, same for Fleury. But the skating, mobility, puck moving, playmaking, all could be legit in the NHL. He's not there yet but he's taken a big step this year.

Teasdale will clearly need more time in the AHL to work on his skating, speed but he's been a nice surprise after missing so much time. I fully expect him to see NHL time at some point, maybe a few games next year but we'll see if he can get quicker.

RHP I'm not as over the moon with as others, with Caufield and Gallagher, I just don't see how you have 3 small forwards like that. Add his average skating, speed, and he's got a lot to overcome. But he works hard, looks like a bulldog out there but will need to improve on the physical tools. Spend a couple years in Laval and see how it goes.

Leskinen will be 25 mid season next year, I could see him challenging for a spot in camp, maybe as the 7th D, if not he is a good depth guy to have in Laval. He's had a really good year so if he has a strong off-season there's a chance. He's surprised me this year as I wasn't overly impressed with him last year, too many turnovers, not strong enough. But this year he's easily been one of the teams MVP's.

Schueneman will be 26 before next season starts, I am not as big of a fan as others but he did enough to get signed and maybe he could beat out Leskinen as a 7th or 8th D. I would be surprised but he's got the skating and some decent offensive skills. I think he needs to improve defensively so another year in Laval is likely and then he could have a lot of competition as Norlinder, Harris, Guhle and Struble could all be turning pro.

AlexGretzchenvid

Jan 19, 2013
Looking at the lineup and the players leaving, it really is an ideal time for a rebuild.
Could be quick too, you ship out 4 or 5 of our top players and all of a sudden we are 75% of the way rebuilt. Take a couple years for players to progress and by year 4 we have a tea full of
Top 6 players but we need gritty bottom 6ers and veteran presence. It’s not all
About young guys

Ozmodiar

Oct 18, 2017
Toffoli - NS - Caufield
Lehks - KK - Anderson
Byron -PD - Gallagher
Poe - evans - Perry

they have to figure out the drouin problem.
They need that money to fill a LW spot.

Reactions: Saxon

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Zucker - Suzuki - Toffoli
Anderson - JKO - Caufield
Lekhonen - Evans - Perry/Byron
Teasdale/Ylonen/Vejdemo

Edmundson - Petry
Romanov - Weber
Chiarot - Fleury
Leskinen/Kulak

Price
Primeau

With MB fired, new GM comes in with long-term plan support... paves way to be focused on living with growing pains and allowing for young players to earn roles in camp.
I'd be willing to bet all three of Poehling/Caufield/Fleury do enough to solidify spots. Byron/Kulak on contract +re-upping Lek and Perry allow the team to have vets in place to deal with it if they don't.

Re-sign Danault provided he takes less than 6M$ on 2-3 year deal, or max 5.25 on 3-5 yrs... if not, look to a temporary 1-year vet fill in and hope Evans/Poehling can be ready to lock down 3C role by 2022-23

Allen gets taken by Kracken (he's played really well this year, has a very good contract going forward for a 1B who could maybe solidify full time starter for them).

Romanov does enough in the summer to take the full-time top-4 spot. Live with Ed/Chia for another year and focus on adding a legit top 4 LD in-season or the following summer (where we'll also need to & have a better opportunity to unload weber and upgrade top-4 RD as well)

Drouin traded to Pitt for Zucker... Zucker better overall fit, lowering ceiling/higher floor, same cap hits.
Primeau (or mcniven or lingren or a UFA on 1M$ deal) steps into back-up mode.

Still a mediocre roster heavily dependent on big youth progress to be a playoff lock, but hire a HC with the marching orders to be looking toward 2022-23/23-24 vs "win-now".

Suzuki/JKO/Caufield/Romanov getting full support/leash will at least be fun to watch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->