21-22 Expected Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
He was pretty much a point per game for the last 2 years prior and our best player in the bubble. Sure, if he shows when/if he comes back that he cant handle it, then you move him down. You dont force him into 3c just because.

Yeah and his defense had really slipped in the process.

But I’m not sure it matters. I’m hoping they just go into an actual rebuild this season and wait his and Kane’s contract out, get a great pick in what seems like a better draft after this one.... and do a proper rebuild.

I’m not buying we are in a rebuild now when all we’ve done is acquired a second round pick and Borgstrom this year.

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Kubalik-Toews-Kane
Cat-Dach-Hagel
Suter-Borgstrom/Gaudette/Kurashev-Vinny
Nylander-Kampf-Connolly/Enwhistle

Connolly/Enwhistle

Gaudette might be the Seattle pick. If not he's gonna be a piece. Could find his way at the 2 or 3 RW if not 3 C. Borgstrom will have the opportunity to beat out Kurashev and Gaudette in camp for the 3C

??? - Murphy
Keith-Bo/Kalynuk
Z-Bo/Kalynuk
De Haan

If Gaudette isn't taken I think Stillman will be

Hawks will push hard on these top D. Hamilton, Jones, Dumba or even a guy who can play top pair like Klefbomb, who might be moved by the Oil based on the expansion draft and a glut of young D coming. I can see him making alot of sense. We have the young forwards that EDM would be interested in and could even take a short term cap dump like Koskinen. He has one year at 4.5 million left. I would imagine a Strome or Nylander even a Suter would be quite attractive to the Oil

Lank
Vet UFA or trade (Raanta/Koskinen/Halak)

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Kubalik-Toews-Kane
Cat-Dach-Hagel
Suter-Borgstrom/Gaudette/Kurashev-Vinny
Nylander-Kampf-Connolly/Enwhistle

Connolly/Enwhistle

Gaudette might be the Seattle pick. If not he's gonna be a piece. Could find his way at the 2 or 3 RW if not 3 C. Borgstrom will have the opportunity to beat out Kurashev and Gaudette in camp for the 3C

??? - Murphy
Keith-Bo/Kalynuk
Z-Bo/Kalynuk
De Haan

If Gaudette isn't taken I think Stillman will be

Hawks will push hard on these top D. Hamilton, Jones, Dumba or even a guy who can play top pair like Klefbomb, who might be moved by the Oil based on the expansion draft and a glut of young D coming. I can see him making alot of sense. We have the young forwards that EDM would be interested in and could even take a short term cap dump like Koskinen. He has one year at 4.5 million left. I would imagine a Strome or Nylander even a Suter would be quite attractive to the Oil

Lank
Vet UFA or trade (Raanta/Koskinen/Halak)

The though of a roll of the dice on Klefbom has also crossed my mind. The problem is that it has the stench of DeHaan redux to me when I really think about. Chronic shoulder issues with multiple surgeries already at age 27 is a low probability of sudden durability for a guy that has averaged only 60 games a season in his first 5 years in the NHL (even not counting his 6th (the last) year which was a complete miss), ZERO chance I am taking a terrible contract (Koskinen) along with Klefbom who still has 2 years left and has the potential to itself be a terrible contract given his injury history/probability.

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
The though of a roll of the dice on Klefbom has also crossed my mind. The problem is that it has the stench of DeHaan redux to me when I really think about. Chronic shoulder issues with multiple surgeries already at age 27 is a low probability of sudden durability for a guy that has averaged only 60 games a season in his first 5 years in the NHL (even not counting his 6th (the last) year which was a complete miss), ZERO chance I am taking a terrible contract (Koskinen) along with Klefbom who still has 2 years left and has the potential to itself be a terrible contract given his injury history/probability.

The thing is De Haan was never a top pair guy. And you either have to take the risk of a massive long term contract or injury history to get one of these guys

Koskinen is only a year and the Hawks have already proven they will take on a year of contracts if the return is worth it. I don't like him but he can be a 1B guy for a year

SuterHaglshev

Mar 21, 2021
He was pretty much a point per game for the last 2 years prior and our best player in the bubble. Sure, if he shows when/if he comes back that he cant handle it, then you move him down. You dont force him into 3c just because.

Yes, I agree forcing him sounds harsh.
It's the GM and coach that decide rolls, and the players do as well in Toews case I'm suggesting a lesser sense. At this point in his contract.

...And then play speaks for itself in MOST CASES, cream rises to the top!

I think there's a lot more to the TOEWS HEALTH issues, Marian Hossa probably could have laced them up another year. And with Toews parting from the TOP SIX a year too early --is better for development than a year too late.

And that's where we are at.... Toews made comments I was NEVER TOLD about the rebuild. Well, the rebuild did better without you Captain Serious.
...If Toews want to continue playing in a Blackhawks sweater his ego needs to remember he follows orders like Seabrook & Hossa. If you notice Toews has been EXTRA SILENT. He probably wants to play in a top six roll, and JC philosophy I'm not sure believes that's best for winning next year or in 2023 when he is still under contract to coach

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Yes, I agree forcing him sounds harsh.
It's the GM and coach that decide rolls, and the players do as well in Toews case I'm suggesting a lesser sense. At this point in his contract.

...And then play speaks for itself in MOST CASES, cream rises to the top!

I think there's a lot more to the TOEWS HEALTH issues, Marian Hossa probably could have laced them up another year. And with Toews parting with him from the TOP SIX a year too early is better for development than a year too late.

And that's where we are at.... Toews made comments I was NEVER TOLD about the rebuild. Well, the rebuild did better without you Captain Serious.
...If Toews want to continue you playing in a Blackhawks sweater his ego needs to remember he follows orders like Seabrook & Hossa.
LOL, rebuild did better without him? What? lol

SuterHaglshev

Mar 21, 2021
LOL, rebuild did better without him? What? lol

Yes, I said it.
Jeremy Colliton over achieved by 20-25 % this year with the amount of rookies and lack of defense. And they did it sucking at faceoffs without Toews!

Sure, I wanted Toews out there at times. You can say they would have made the playoffs if he played this year. I think we win 5 more games with Toews at the expense of developing and get booted in round one. So, we accomplish a worse draft position with Toews.

Kane and Keith seem happy to develop the young guys. Toews revealed he was not by saying.... I was never told about a rebuild.

We're not going to agree, and that's fine.

Last edited:

SuterHaglshev

Mar 21, 2021
Toews is not a 3C on a top 5 team he is at least 2C. Colorado only behind MacKinnon, Vegas he would be 1C, Tampa behind Point and don't even think Stamkos plays centre anymore, Boston a push with Bergeron but 2C at worst, Washington a push with Backstrom or 2C, Florida behind Barkov so 2C, Toronto behind Matthews maybe Tavares so only real possibility 3C here oh forgot Edmonton but draisaitl would play wing with McDavid and Toews is better than RNH

Sure, okay fine. On his past record I agree. In sports there's a saying better to get rid of a player a year too early than a year too late.

I'm not suggesting the Blackhawks trade Toews at this point. I am suggesting having him play 3C a year early rather than a year late. If Toews ego is in the way, other teams could give up assets required to land a #2C.

And I will not be shocked if there is more of a reveal where the player and the organization mutually agree they no longer are a fit.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Yes, I said it.
Jeremy Colliton over achieved by 20-25 % this year with the amount of rookies and lack of defense. And they did it sucking at faceoffs without Toews!

Sure, I wanted Toews out there at times. You can say they would have made the playoffs if he played this year. I think we win 5 more games with Toews at the expense of developing and get booted in round one. So, we accomplish a worse draft position with Toews.

Kane and Keith seem happy to develop the young guys. Toews revealed he was not by saying.... I was never told about a rebuild. We're not going to agree, and that's fine.
They overachieved by having a good PP for half a season, and a goalie playing above his potential. They were literally worse in every other statistical measurement, so...LOL

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
They overachieved by having a good PP for half a season, and a goalie playing above his potential. They were literally worse in every other statistical measurement, so...LOL
The lack of preparation due to Covid I thought Hawks caught a few teams before they were up to speed and in game shape.
I also thought their work ethic and puck pursuit and support were better but essentially I agree. The 2nd half of the season spoke volumes.

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Cocaine scandal? Or something else I'm not remembering?

He also broke team COVID protocols twice this season that we know of. He got COVID the first time. I get it it's all tedious but if there are team rules everyone has to follow them. I don't think he's getting scratched for first offenses.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Kuznetsov's name keeps floating around as a player that could be available. Kane is going to need a high-end player to play with next season along with Cat. Kuzy would be a great fit.

5 Possible Trade Destinations for the Washington Capitals' Evgeny Kuznetsov

At 28 years old and a $7.8M cap hit. I would take a run at him for sure.

Down the middle:
Kuzy
Dach
Borgstrom

Kuznetsov for Nylander and 1st
Zadorov and Subban for Georgiev
Sign Shalunov
Sign Alec Martinez
Sign Montour
Toews and DeHann Retire
Connelly and Strome to Seattle
Suters rights to Detriot for 3rd

Kubalik-Kuznetsov-Shalunov
Debrincat-Dach-Kane
Kurashev-Borgstrom-Hagel
Entwhistle-Kampf-Barrett
Carpenter/Hardman

Keith-Murphy
Martinez-Boqvist
Kalynuk-Montour
Stillman-Mitchell

Lankinen
Georgiev

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009

Brightwing

Oct 1, 2019
Suspended by the team for disobeying team rules this year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2021/05/15/evgeny-kuznetsov-ilya-samsonov-washington-capitals/

Guy is not big on doing the right thing. A team with as many kids as the Hawks have doesn't need bad examples in the room.

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. No way do the Hawks bring in someone with that kind of history with so many young players. If he's traded I would see him going to a team with a strong veteran leadership group.

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I watched some more Borgstrom highlights and most of them were offensive zone plays that didn't show much of his skating but there were 2 highlights where he skated the puck from d-zone to o-zone and it looked like skating speed is not an issue. That checks a second box to go along with his offensive game. What remains to be evaluated is his defensive effort and consistency. If he shows consistent effort and doesn't shy away from physical play I think he has a good chance to be one of the 3 top-9 centers next season. Put that together with Toews coming back and Shalunov getting signed and maybe something like this:

Kubalik-Toews-Dach
Cat-Borgstrom-Kane
Suter-Shalunov-Gaudette
Kurashev-Entwistle-Hagel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad