Prospect Info: Philip Nyberg (2016, 129th) – '18-19: UConn #26 (NCAA)

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
129th overall = Philip Nyberg (2016, 129th) – '15-16: Linkoping J20 (SWE) .. RH defenseman headed to Wisconsin .. starting the '16-17 season in the USHL with Madison while he gets his eligibility sorted (pass TOEFL) .. hoping to enroll and join Badgers mid-season.

Last edited:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Granato described Nyberg as an explosive skater in Wisconsin's press release on Nyberg's commitment for '16-17 earlier this month:
Head men's hockey coach Tony Granato announced on Monday the addition of defenseman Philip Nyberg, who has signed a National Letter of Intent and is expected to join the Badgers for the fall.

Born in Karlskrona, Sweden, Nyberg spent last season skating for Linköping HC J20 in Sweden's SuperElit league. In 45 regular-season contests, the right-handed shot posted four goals and 18 points. He added a goal in four playoff games.

"He is a very athletic, explosive skater," Granato said. "His first two steps are really good. He's also a quality person from a quality family with great character."

In the prior season of 2014-15, the 6-3 and 192-pound rear guard skated three games with the same Linköping HC J20 squad, but played the majority of the year with Linköping HC J18, serving as an assistant captain. He had three goals and 12 points in 20 games playing in the J18 Elit league, as well as two assists in nine games in the J18 Allsvenskan league.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Not much else out there on Nyberg. In his post-draft interview, Royce noted that credit goes to Forsberg for this pick.
Philip Nyberg was cited as the LHC player who had the best chance to be drafted this year. And so it became.

When draften Saturday ended it was clear that 19-year-old get a place at the Buffalo Sabres. Nyberg went in the fifth round, # 129 overall.

The slope has been effectively felt in the LHC's J20 team this season, and attracted interest from across the Atlantic.

Nyberg has, like most young hockey players, always been drawn to the NHL and the weekend so he said this to Corren:

- To get to play there has been a dream since childhood. But only recently have I begun to realize that there is something realistic. Prior to last season, however, I had never thought of that idea.

- I have no favorite team in the NHL, so just get drafted at all would be great.

And now it has.
http://www.corren.se/sport/lhc/nybergs-drom-blev-verklig-om4192553.aspx

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
I think we need Wisent's skills. The slope of this draften post is quality of translation.

You called?

Philip Nyberg was mentioned as the LHC-player most likely to get drafted this year. And that's what happened.

When the draft closed on Saturday, the 19 year old was property of the Buffalo Sabres. Nyberg was drafted in the fifth round, 129 overall.

The defenseman has had a major breakthrough with LHC's J20-team this season and gained interest on the other side of the Atlantic.

Nyberg, as most young hockey players, as always been attracted to the NHL and before this wekeend he had this to say to Corren:

- To play over there has been a dream since I was a kid. It's just recently I've started to realize it could actually happen. Before last year I hadn't even thought about it.

- I don't have a favourite team in the NHL, just getting drafted to begin with would be huge.

And that's what happened.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
This year's Borgen. Guy skates incredibly for his size. Smart, simple plays. Head up, confident movements. Might be a gem.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I like the physical side to his game -- not that he was running anyone over, but that he made contact with his man and pinned them out to separate the puck. It'll be interesting to see how he does with the Badgers, certainly.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I like the physical side to his game -- not that he was running anyone over, but that he made contact with his man and pinned them out to separate the puck. It'll be interesting to see how he does with the Badgers, certainly.

Sounds very much like he'll fit, where separation is encouraged versus blowing guys up and taking yourself out of the play.

Let him marinate in Wisconsin!

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Noticed that Nyberg wasn't listed on the Badgers roster and I'm now seeing that I missed that he hit an admissions snafu with the TOEFL, so he'll start with Madison in the USHL, hoping to join Wisconsin in January.
The Karlskrona, Sweden, native said he still needs to pass the Test of English as a Foreign Language for admission into UW and will work toward that when he arrives here next week.

Badgers coach Tony Granato said discussions between Nyberg’s family and the coaching staff ended with a determination “it was in Philip’s best interest to pursue enrollment at Wisconsin in the spring, which he is going to do.”

Nyberg, 19, said he plans to start the season in the United States Hockey League with the Madison Capitols. If he’s accepted into UW for the spring semester, Nyberg can join the Badgers in January.
http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/...cle_d92ba6ef-f22a-5815-a38b-5e0563c02a29.html

http://www.ushl.com/view/#/player?playerId=7104&season=59

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
So, if he does start at Wisconsin in January, does that affect when his signing rights expire?

I looked through the CBA about this and, honestly, my best answer is that we aren't sure. He's still a player drafted at 19 becoming a bona fide college student prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft. So if he leaves college early, his rights are held through the later of June 1, 2020 or 30 days after leaving college (this is unchanged). If he remains in college through the graduation of his college class his rights are retained through (and including) the August 15th following the graduation of his college class.

The issue is I'm not entirely sure which class is his class. For the purposes of rights it's what class the player is expected to graduate with at the time of his last semester, not necessarily when he's expected to graduate upon entering college. It's something that can change during a player's college career.

That said, I think the biggest underlying issue here is Nyberg's NCAA eligibility. If he plays the second half of this season then I'm pretty sure he uses up one of his years of eligibility, regardless of his not playing this semester. So I think that makes the point somewhat moot as he won't be remaining in college to play hockey past the spring of 2020 since he'll be out of eligibility. The only real way that it becomes relevant is if he suffers an injury and takes a redshirt year, in which case his rights would be held for an extra year, as he'd be playing college hockey an extra year.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Scored a goal yesterday in his first preseason action of the year .. also saw PK action, being on-ice for one PPGA and one SHGF as well.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Nyberg's listed at 6'4" 192 and skated at RD1, paired with Hults, in Madison's 3-2 opening loss at Green Bay last night. On-ice for 2 GA, including this Mittelstadt PP tally:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
@SabresProspects - Wisconsin commit RHD Philip Nyberg scores his first goal of the season on the power play as Madison blanks Omaha 4-0.

Sabres Prospects Report - Friday, September 30 -
Philip Nyberg scored his first goal of the season as Madison pitched a 4-0 shutout of Omaha.
Nyberg circled high to the point for a five-on-three power play marker with 5:30 remaining in regulation to give the Capitols a 3-0 lead.

Last edited:

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Nyberg debuted for UConn on the second pair tonight vs SCSU. No SOG, but was on-ice for 2 GA in the second period and the GWGF in the third:
SCSU pulled the game even on back-to-back goals at 10:38 and 17:36. Eyssimont buried a rebound on an empty net at the left post and Winiecki scored on an off angle, beating Nichols to the near post to knot it at 2-2.

Naas answered the SCSU goal just 1:04 later with his second on the night, firing home a shot from the right circle from a feed by Kalter. Naas’ ninth goal gave the Huskies back the lead, 3-2, heading into the break.

UConn doubled their lead to 4-2 with Letunov’s fifth on the season at 14:45. Richardson chipped the puck into the neutral zone where Letunov picked it up and beat the defense to the right circle where he pulled up and fired a wrister past Smith.
http://www.uconnhuskies.com/sports/m-hockey/recaps/123016aaa.html

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->