Player Discussion: Jake Virtanen | XII (Mod warning post #722)

Status
Not open for further replies.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
All of the rumblings about Jake sound an awful lot like the reasons we supposedly booted Kassian for (ie. unprepared, not in shape, having too much fun, causing lockerroom issues, etc.). Of course Kassian wasn't actually a locker room cancer and was apparently one of the hardest workers off the ice and in great shape but the point still stands.

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
No no no, we have to go back to comparing Virtanen to Matt Cooke. They're practically the same player.

canuckfan75

Jan 14, 2014
The stuff that has been coming out over the last few weeks are concerning

Seem like the curse of the Power Forward is starting to come out again

Cam Neely , Todd Bertuzzi Zachary Kassian and now Jake Virtanen

The first 3 did not end well. When I have TIme I will explain the Vancouver Canuck Curse of the French Canadian Defenceman :) :laugh:

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
He should be throwing 3-4 hits like that a year. Opposition Dmen should be more aware when he's on the ice by this time next year :laugh:

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax

The first 3 did not end well. When I have TIme I will explain the Vancouver Canuck Curse of the French Canadian Defenceman :) :laugh:

How were any of these guys a curse? We stupidly traded Neely, Bertuzzi was one of the best forwards in the game in a Canuck uniform, Kassian just likes to party even though I am sure he can stop any time he wants and Virty has had an ok rookie season and laid some guy out. Neither one of these guys are alike at all.

I'll tell you the biggest indictment from management to date. The fact that the team did not get behind Virty about the suspension. I have never seen a management group talk about like a player deserved a suspension for such a borderline hit, especially since the standard is completely arbitrary. Shameful on Linden, Benning and Henrik Sedin.

Last edited:

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver

Not sure what power-forward curse you're talking about.

Neely was dealt before he blossomed.

Bertuzzi and Kassian were fan favourites here. A lot of people still supported Bertuzzi after the Moore incident.

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I don't see any way that Virtanen would be causing locker room issues unless the guys are jealous they aren't doing hollywood stars too. He's a young kid and theyre indoctrinating with chirps to get him to get into better shape, and they wouldn't be doing it so publicly if they didn't like him

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
"The 2 second rule"

Puck left Polak's stick for 2 seconds and he was in a vulnerable position (shouldn't admire your pass), but that is a suspension.

Once it's 2 seconds, you shouldn't target the player. Another more dangerous hit that was exactly 2 seconds?

Rome on Horton. And we all know what that led to.

Jake needs to be more aware.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Finishing your check seems to be anything within 0.5-2 seconds after the puck is released but if you injure someone while hitting them more than 0.5 seconds its a suspension, sometimes.

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta
O f course Kassian wasn't actually a locker room cancer and was apparently one of the hardest workers off the ice and in great shape but the point still stands.

NweKUk7.jpg

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
You got something to say fat Ludwig van Beethoven?

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
How were any of these guys a curse? We stupidly traded Neely, Bertuzzi was one of the best forwards in the game in a Canuck uniform, Kassian just likes to party even though I am sure he can stop any time he wants and Virty has had an ok rookie season and laid some guy out. Neither one of these guys are alike at all.

I'll tell you the biggest indictment from management to date. The fact that the team did not get behind Virty about the suspension. I have never seen a management group talk about like a player deserved a suspension for such a borderline hit, especially since the standard is completely arbitrary. Shameful on Linden, Benning and Henrik Sedin.

Missed this, what did they say?

Domecile

Opinion != Fact
Jul 9, 2014
Delta
You got something to say fat Ludwig van Beethoven?

Nothing in particular no. That's just the first time I've ever heard that claim made about Kassian. Seems unfounded and runs contrary to everything I've ever read or heard about him during his time here. My apologies if there is actually something legitimate to it, but the image was a visual representation of my immediate reaction.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary

Great way to ruin a young player.. And Sedins should be careful how they talk, they choked and disappeared in many playoff games, basically lost us the series vs the Sharks so they could go play for their home country. Willie has been a crap couch, Linden has sucked in his role, at least Gillis went to bat for his players. Virtanen is the last of our worries, our under performing vets and piss poor management is of much bigger concerns. The kid made a late hit, injured no one and he'll learn from it, let him play and develop and support him.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012
Finishing your check seems to be anything within 0.5-2 seconds after the puck is released but if you injure someone while hitting them more than 0.5 seconds its a suspension, sometimes.

There are different standards dependent on where the player receiving the hit is. It's pretty well known that "finishing a check" on the forecheck can give you an extra 1-2 seconds if the D is along the boards.

Virtanen has gotta start taking advantage of it (like Ferland in the playoffs or Raffi Torres).

A late hit in open ice is just asking for trouble.

Seatoo

Never Stop Poasting
Oct 19, 2012
Okanagan
Not a fan of JVat all. I am so disappointed with this pick. I hate to say it but Ray Ferraro was right, JV will be lucky to end up like Hansen

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Not a fan of JVat all. I am so disappointed with this pick. I hate to say it but Ray Ferraro was right, JV will be lucky to end up like Hansen

You mean the top ES producer per 60 minutes in the NHL this year? :nod:

Seriously though, there's not much similarities in their games really.
I'm not sure Ferraro gave much thought to that comparison, TBH.

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
Whispers about Jake's work ethic and attitude are mounting. We'll see if certain posters hold him to the same ******** standard they applied to Kassian.

The partying or dating starlets or whatever doesn't bother me. I think it's funny he'd act like that, as he hasn't proven anything at the NHL level yet. But I don't think it's something that's going to negatively impact his career. The work ethic stuff is more concerning, and fits with what we've heard about him since the draft.

Of course I don't like this pick so I don't mind heaping scorn on him. I don't think he'll ever live up to 6th OA, but I hope I'm wrong.

Tim McCracken

Good loser = LOSER!
Jan 4, 2010
Jail
All of the rumblings about Jake sound an awful lot like the reasons we supposedly booted Kassian for (ie. unprepared, not in shape, having too much fun, causing lockerroom issues, etc.). Of course Kassian wasn't actually a locker room cancer and was apparently one of the hardest workers off the ice and in great shape but the point still stands.

Really? I left off at the Disneyland episode, I have a business to run and travel to do, and without out digging back too much, I'm sure it's what you may expect from an 18 year old kid but per my point at the time, not one expected to transition into being a professional and learn his craft and earn his spot.

Some of the posts of others at the time were hilarious, people clearly didn't and don't get it. Why not have some fun during a lost season, right?

Anyway, he'll be fine and in retrospect should have been sent back to the WHL.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

I agree and I agree with Botchford's recent article about a bit too much tough love for Virtanen from the brass. Virtanen has a ways to go but he is 19, playing at junior age in the NHL. A bit of encouragement wouldn't hurt.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Whispers about Jake's work ethic and attitude are mounting. We'll see if certain posters hold him to the same ******** standard they applied to Kassian.

The partying or dating starlets or whatever doesn't bother me. I think it's funny he'd act like that, as he hasn't proven anything at the NHL level yet. But I don't think it's something that's going to negatively impact his career. The work ethic stuff is more concerning, and fits with what we've heard about him since the draft.

Of course I don't like this pick so I don't mind heaping scorn on him. I don't think he'll ever live up to 6th OA, but I hope I'm wrong.

And we spent a former 10th OA pick at the time that had "promise" on a guy who looks like he is a 3rd line producer, occasionally 4th line dud. I guess it might be the win for us in the end, but it is in millimeters. That is drugs and alcohol aside.

I am comfortable being more confident that Virtanen > Kassian, so I guess that is the biggest part of the comparison to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->