Prospect Info: 204th overall (Round 7) - Daniel Bukac (D)

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
DDGqIiiXUAALGQ-.jpg:large

Daniel Bukac is a lanky, Czech born defenseman who posted 17 points in 72 regular season games for the Brandon Wheat Kings. He has grown significantly in the past two years, having been listed at 5"6 prior to the 2015-16 season.

Bukac is a raw talent who had an inconsistent season. His physical skills are tremendous for his size. He has good feet and edgework that allow him to walk the offensive line well and change the angle of his shots. He also can evade defenders and escape pressure in his own end because he can turn quickly away from fore-checkers. His stride is long, methodical and powerful and he can get up ice quickly to help out offensively and recover from a bad pinch.

His ability to handle the puck is above average and he has shown that he can handle the puck while walking the line on the offensive point. He has not shown much creativity while handling the puck but he can move the puck laterally using his great reach.

Daniel's decision making was inconsistent from game to game. In games where he was relied upon heavily in a top 4 role, he showed more confidence and delivered sound first passes.

In recent viewings, Bukac showed some indecisiveness without the puck. He did not understand when to be aggressive and pinch at the offensive blueline which resulted in odd-man rushes. In his own end he does tend to play physically and benefits from his long reach and active stick.

Although Bukac had some difficulties transitioning to North America, he has significant upside with his size and physical tools. He is well worth a late pick in the draft as we expect him to continue to progress, becoming more comfortable playing in Canada and the Western Hockey League.

Quotable: "Bukac is one of my sleeper picks. He lacked some confidence, but his physical skills are legitimate and he should flourish once he gets more comfortable in North America". - HP Scout, Cass Bruni

NHL DRAFT BLACK BOOK

Last edited:

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
While some of the picks weren't rated or were rated lower this is a kid who was considered at least in one national list as being a low 3 or early 4th liner

Considered to have strong puck movement skills

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Funny, but reading the above talent analysis, without the name, you'd think you were looking at a second round draft choice instead of someone near the end.

Hope all they wrote about him is true and he can learn to overcome some deficiencies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Hoping Colt has some insight on the kid.

Edit: oh, nvm lol! Didn't notice you had started the thread

bruins4thecup65

Jun 27, 2011
I like our picks in rounds 6 and 7 better than our pick 2 through 5.

Good job on those late picks, think DET.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
probably my favorite pick of the day - i wasn't enamored with their draft overall, but bukac looks like a player to me. love the size and skating combo, will be a defensive d-man at pro level.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Why is that?

just a personal feeling about it - vaakanainen wasn't close to my first choice at 18 with who was still on the board (plus i know they could've traded down and gotten him, based on what i heard in chicago). i've not seen a ton of him, but in discussions with scouts and lots of other reading, he just seems like a vanilla transitional defensive defender. i like that he's held his own against men for the last 18 months, and his skating is very good. just not sure he'll ever produce any kind of offense at the NHL level. certainly was wrong about frederic last year and look forward to seeing UV develop this coming season.

studnicka and bukac were guys i liked, especially bukac at that spot in the draft. nothing really against swayman as i can't speak directly to what he can do, but was more interested in a bunch of other goalies available (dylan ferguson was a favorite of mine). pare looks like a 4th liner if he ever makes it and berglund was a bizarre pick, at least to me. i think the best word i can use for their draft overall is underwhelming. but let's see how the year plays out and hopefully i'm wrong.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
So he edges out DeBrusk as the biggest late bloomer.
DeBrusk went 5'3" -> 6'0"
Bukac went 5'6" -> 6'4" (or possibly 6'5" per eliteprospects)

Seems like the perfect round 7 pick as a guy with lots of upside. Fits in with the rest of this draft for the Bruins as nothing immediate but some excellent potential 2-4 years down the road.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
So he edges out DeBrusk as the biggest late bloomer.
DeBrusk went 5'3" -> 6'0"
Bukac went 5'6" -> 6'4" (or possibly 6'5" per eliteprospects)

Seems like the perfect round 7 pick as a guy with lots of upside. Fits in with the rest of this draft for the Bruins as nothing immediate but some excellent potential 2-4 years down the road.

helluva clothing bill during the spurts

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad