World Cup: 2026 World Cup Bid

Which location gets your vote?

• Total voters

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
If that were true, 2026 would be the 4th consecutive time. ;)
We're actually both wrong it would be 6th time.

How can I forget Sorin's, Brisebois esqu giveaway. Ballack hurting Abbondanzieri and Maxi's not getting a call in the box in 2006? Maradon's insanity in 2010 with Otamendi at RB. LOL great times.

Reactions: Dr Pepper

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I hope they fill the stadium but perhaps I'm being too pessimistic. 1994 was just fine. I thought of these two cities because I know that they like footy.
I really don't think you have an understanding of just how big the sport actually is in the US and Canada. Both countries have clubs who draw more fans than many teams in the big 5 European leagues. Not only will every match be full but it will be extremely difficult just to get tickets to any match.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
I really don't think you have an understanding of just how big the sport actually is in the US and Canada. Both countries have clubs who draw more fans than many teams in the big 5 European leagues. Not only will every match be full but it will be extremely difficult just to get tickets to any match.
I don't know a lot about Canada, that's true. When I lived in the US, I attended a couple of Timbers games, so I know the support is there, I just don't know about New York or New Jersey.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Americans love big events and are more willing to spend big amounts of money on them than people just about anywhere else. They manage to sell loads of expensive tickets for summer preseason games, I doubt there'd be any problems with the World Cup i.e. the one event in this sport that almost every American has heard of.

Reactions: cgf and sabremike

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I don't know a lot about Canada, that's true. When I lived in the US, I attended a couple of Timbers games, so I know the support is there, I just don't know about New York or New Jersey.
The Super Bowl was played in that venue a few years back and getting tickets for the 2026 Final will be 10,000 times more difficult than getting into that Super Bowl.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Americans love big events and are more willing to spend big amounts of money on them than people just about anywhere else. They manage to sell loads of expensive tickets for summer preseason games, I doubt there'd be any problems with the World Cup i.e. the one event in this sport that almost every American has heard of.

Yeah, even if the sport weren't growing the Americans would pay up to be there.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
The Super Bowl was played in that venue a few years back and getting tickets for the 2026 Final will be 10,000 times more difficult than getting into that Super Bowl.
Good to hear. I was told by some Americans that footy is a West Coast thing. Perhaps just some guys that think they are the only true footy fans. I didn't verify myself and didn't check the numbers. I do remember that 94 were great games.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

TFC is one of the hottest tickets in town! Sells out consistently and the atmosphere is absolutely electric.
Montreal also sells out frequently and has a crazy fan base.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
I agree with this statement.. I was shocked to see fans in the premier league complaining that the price hikes of tickets are preventing the real fans from attending. I looked up at the price of a ticket in the EPL and I bursted out laughing. They are ridiculously low compared to North America major sports tickets.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I agree with this statement.. I was shocked to see fans in the premier league complaining that the price hikes of tickets are preventing the real fans from attending. I looked up at the price of a ticket in the EPL and I bursted out laughing. They are ridiculously low compared to North America major sports tickets.

That's because NA ticket prices are utterly insane. Going to watch my eiserne when I'm in Berlin costs 14 euros to get in, and seeing Hertha play in BuLi1 is 25.

Reactions: les Habs

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
England rumoured to be bidding for 2030 but that will go to Uruguay/Argentina/Paraguay.

Maybe we'll get 2034.

Probably not. Reckon China will want to host one at some point.

KevFu

May 22, 2009
Phoenix from Rochester via New Orleans
I hope they fill the stadium but perhaps I'm being too pessimistic. 1994 was just fine. I thought of these two cities because I know that they like footy.

The 1994 World Cup still holds the total attendance record (3.57 million). And all the WCs since had 12 more matches. 1994 averaged almost 69,000 per game.

And that was when “no one cared” about soccer. We had no pro league, and the US National Team had only 858,000 viewers in the previous World Cup TV broadcast.

Now we have cities fighting over who gets to pay $100 million for MLS expansion franchises, and the last US World Cup game had 25 million viewers.

It’s not “bandwagon.” USA has soccer support. If the US didn’t, the European teams wouldn’t be trying to so damned hard to crack into our market with TV deals and summer tours. All the big clubs in Europe have been doing summer tours in the US to try and grow their fan base for a decade.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia

It's true. All 3 Canadian MLS teams (VAN, TOR, MTL) have far surpassed their CFL teams in terms of popularity and revenue and are frequently well in the top half of the attendance standings. One could argue that the MLS could become the #2 pro league in Canada for popularity.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
The 1994 World Cup still holds the total attendance record (3.57 million). And all the WCs since had 12 more matches. 1994 averaged almost 69,000 per game.

And that was when “no one cared” about soccer. We had no pro league, and the US National Team had only 858,000 viewers in the previous World Cup TV broadcast.

Now we have cities fighting over who gets to pay $100 million for MLS expansion franchises, and the last US World Cup game had 25 million viewers.

It’s not “bandwagon.” USA has soccer support. If the US didn’t, the European teams wouldn’t be trying to so damned hard to crack into our market with TV deals and summer tours. All the big clubs in Europe have been doing summer tours in the US to try and grow their fan base for a decade.
I have no idea why I said what I said, I knew 94 was well visited. Probably cliche getting in the way of reason.
The bolded is nice to hear.

Reactions: sabremike

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
It's like that in most of Europe. I attended international games in Leverkusen and paid less than 20 bucks for it. It's always jaw dropping to me to hear how much North Americans dish out to visit some games. They are willing to SPEND.

Reactions: cgf

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->