World Cup: 2026 World Cup Bid

Which location gets your vote?

• Total voters

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
The only negative for EDM would be logistics given it's location compared to the next closest cities to host the matches. Closest is Seattle, in the US which creates travel issues for non-Canadians/Americans.

I think Mexico keeps all 3 cities.

US gets 10 cities at least IMO.

SEA, SF, LA, NY, PHI, WAS, BOS, ATL, MIA, HOU/DAL. I think the final CAD city is competing with DEN/KC for the last spot.

FIFA has to keep travel minimal for their Non-North American fans.

I think this list is mostly right, except they'll (sadly) drop Philly for being right in between NY and DC. Denver and KC likely competing for the last spot as you said, but no Canadian city would be dropped.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Oh look, another free insult. Business as usual for you.

Of course the answer is that one of these isn't a football nation.
If a baseball WC were held more frequently in Italy, Spain or France than in the US, I'm sure you'd understand.
Even you.
News to me that 2 is more than 2 when looking at France and Italy. Of course this is really 1.5 for USA.

FIFA clearly wants to spread it across the globe. Europe hosted in 98, 06, 18. Asia hosted in 02 and 22. South America hosted in 14. North America was up next and Mexico and the US are the only countries capable. It seems like a major whine fest to complain when the only other bid was Morocco.

FWIW, the most common venue for the World Baseball Classic is Tokyo, Japan.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Anyway, enough with the anti-US bullshit.

Pumped that KC is on there. Either I’ll be on the east coast by then or in STL so this is perfect

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
FIFA clearly wants to spread it across the globe. Europe hosted in 98, 06, 18. Asia hosted in 02 and 22. South America hosted in 14. North America was up next and Mexico and the US are the only countries capable. It seems like a major whine fest to complain when the only other bid was Morocco.
You answer your own question : Africa? Once.

And Japan is a serious baseball nation. Not sure what your point is about them.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
The worst time zone really for those of us in Europe, but happy for Toronto and Montreal, those cities will have a great atmosphere (Edmonton... well...)

Reactions: robertmac43

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
You answer your own question : Africa? Once.

And Japan is a serious baseball nation. Not sure what your point is about them.
Africa in 2010. North America was clearly due.

Okay but either way I wouldn’t give a flying f*** if the WBC was somewhere else.

TheBrew

Mar 9, 2003
fyi some Edmontonians get really touchy about how ****ty Edmonton is :sarcasm:
I’ve never understood the Edmonton hate. I used to visit almost every summer and thought it was a great city. Maybe the winters give it a bad name.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Diego Maradona: Mexico doesn't deserve 2026 World Cup; U.S., Canada lack passion

Argentina legend Diego Maradona says he does not like the decision to have Mexico, Canada and the United States host the 2026 World Cup, decrying the countries' lack of success and passion for the sport.

FIFA decided on Wednesday that the 2026 event, the first to have 48 teams participating, would be split between the three North American countries, with 60 games in the U.S. and 10 each in Canada and Mexico.

The decision will make Mexico the first country to host three times, but Maradona suggested the country's record in the World Cup was not good enough. El Tri has been eliminated in the round of 16 in six straight tournaments.

"I don't like it," Maradona told Telesur. "Mexico doesn't deserve it. The Mexicans come up against Brazil or Germany... and 'boom,' they're out."

Maradona, often considered one of the greatest football players in history, won the World Cup with Argentina in 1986 when the tournament was in Mexico.

The 57-year-old also took issue with Canada and the U.S., recalling a proposal ahead of the American-hosted 1994 World Cup from then-FIFA president Joao Havelange that would have split games into quarters to allow for more television commercials.

"There's no passion," Maradona said. "The Canadians may be good skiers, and the Americans wanted to have four periods of 25 [minutes] for the advertising."

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
The amount of salt over the US hosting the WC pleases me.
You're wrong. It's more about the fact a good football country that never hosted it, on a continent which is football crazy that still hosted it once alltime, that country didn't get it.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
You're wrong. It's more about the fact a good football country that never hosted it, on a continent which is football crazy that still hosted it once alltime, that country didn't get it.
Didn't they fall massively short on the infrastructure/feasibility evaluation? 275 vs. 402?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->