World Cup: 2026 World Cup Bid

Which location gets your vote?

• Total voters

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I would be voting NA for sure:

As a Canadian soccer fan I would love nothing more than to be able to cheer for the Boys in a World Cup. I think the team has taken the right steps over the past couple of years, but we are clear long shots to qualify in 2022. The free and east entrance would be amazing for the growth of the game

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
The North American bid makes the most sense on paper. Seemingly endless suitable stadiums in the U.S.A, Mexico's rabid support, and Canada would be a perfect country to create new fans of soccer in. Morocco only has four stadiums with capacity over 40,000 and has security and logistic concerns especially for a 48 country tournament. However don't count out the fact most African nations would probably vote for Morocco, and it would take place in European time zones plus its FIFA so there is always the possibility for corruption. I suspect the NA bid wins, but it will be closer than most would expect.

Zegras Zebra

May 7, 2016
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I would be voting NA for sure:

As a Canadian soccer fan I would love nothing more than to be able to cheer for the Boys in a World Cup. I think the team has taken the right steps over the past couple of years, but we are clear long shots to qualify in 2022. The free and east entrance would be amazing for the growth of the game
I don't think Canada would be "complete longshots" to qualify in 2022. Realistically it seems possible with the young talent coming up. All they really need to do is beat who they are expected to beat in the group stage, not play for 0-0 draws and beat Honduras, Trinidad, Jamaica, etc. in the Hex. It should be possible with a nation the size of Canada with the wealth we have to qualify for the World Cup

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I don't think Canada would be "complete longshots" to qualify in 2022. Realistically it seems possible with the young talent coming up. All they really need to do is beat who they are expected to beat in the group stage, not play for 0-0 draws and beat Honduras, Trinidad, Jamaica, etc. in the Hex. It should be possible with a nation the size of Canada with the wealth we have to qualify for the World Cup

I think we are 100 percent a nation on the rise. The young talent is there and players like Osorio are really starting to come into their own. Long shot may be harsh, but we are still far from proven and the history of recent qualification campaigns does not help either.

That being said even without hosting in 2026 I would bet that Canada is present at this World Cup and I am definitely hopeful they make a good push and we some progress in the coming qualification campaign

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
The only reason not giving it to Morocco would be the closeness to Europe. Russia I guess is considered Europe and Morocco is obviously close by. When you got a proper football nation applying that has never hosted before they should almost by default get it (as long as you don’t have more than one such bid of course).

I don’t especially like Morocco. It is a tiring place to visit, but I think it would be a great place for a WC. I much prefer the venues to be reasonably close to each other.

Reactions: QuietContrarian

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
As much as I want it in NA to actually go to games, the alternative is too good. NA losing out and watching Dotard order steel tariffs on FIFA is too good to pass up.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I was certain the U.S. would win the bid against Qatar in 2022. As much as I really want the U.S. to win this, I'm not holding my breath. It seem likes the U.S. will have most of the Conmebol and Concacaf votes while Morocco will get all the Afcon votes.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
5th largest economy in africa; a well-established tourist industry from europe; a number of stadiums that already could be used, are already under construction or are planned to be ready well before 2026. And if the western sahari situation gets resolved by then...lol...as long as the tourney stays north of the sahara, everything will be fine security-wise.

Qatar disagrees

Qatari money can get you quite a bit of infrastructure :dunno:

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2012
Far less public money would be wasted on bribes and grifting where the stadiums already exist to FIFA specifications. Voted for NA.

this x10000

You should not even be considered for the Olympics/WC unless you have over 85% of required infrastructure already in place. This would ensure that small/developing countries have to build the infrastructure before hand. That would allow it to be done at a slower pace, likely less corruption, and probably they wouldn't build it if they had no use for it outside of the major events. No more of this spending $3b on stadiums for them to sit empty and rot 6 months later.

Reactions: Pantokrator

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Isn't the casablanca stadium the only one that Morocco would need to complete before the WM that hasn't yet already broken ground on construction? And that's a project they're going to build whether they get the World Cup or not. Since it'll be their new NT stadium & they're not going to stop bidding for the World Cup. So most of their WM-related infrastructure spending would actually be on things like transport that tend to have long-lasting benefits to a nation.

I'm a little biased because a lot of my friends back in berlin were part of this hardcore percussion band that was invited to play at the King's brother's birthday celebration in the mid 2000s. So I'm still bummed that I didn't get to go with them like I was initially supposed to...all because I was in stupid scotland instead to see my stupid best friend who had moved there from Chicago two years earlier.

Granted, hearing Dundonians comment on my chicago accent was gold and cracks me up to this day, but still...

Last edited:

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Thought Morocco had a decent chance a few months ago but am now reading they don't even have unanimous support from Africa (albeit its only been 2-3 so far who have come out to support the NA bid). However I think Morocco will do well with the European vote

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Thought Morocco had a decent chance a few months ago but am now reading they don't even have unanimous support from Africa (albeit its only been 2-3 so far who have come out to support the NA bid). However I think Morocco will do well with the European vote

Who's come out against them? Algeria & Mauritania?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->