2025 Stadium Series to be Red Wings vs Blue Jackets at Ohio Stadium

Spydey629

Jan 28, 2005
Carlisle, PA
My gut says Buccigross is off on the date. Under the new TV deal the Stadium Series games have fallen on the same weekend as the NBA All-Star game, so Disney can drop an outdoor game on ABC in prime time.

Reactions: JMCx4

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
My gut says Buccigross is off on the date. Under the new TV deal the Stadium Series games have fallen on the same weekend as the NBA All-Star game, so Disney can drop an outdoor game on ABC in prime time.
With the 4 Nations tournament next year, the same date won’t be available

Reactions: Spydey629

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The 2026 Stadium Series should be Coyotes VS. Panthers, either at Sun Devil Stadium or Hard Rock Stadium which would complete the quest of getting every NHL team to play outdoors at least once.
Maybe if you want as few people as possible to be interested, but presumably you want a game that would actually sell some tickets and networks want to broadcast.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Maybe if you want as few people as possible to be interested, but presumably you want a game that would actually sell some tickets and networks want to broadcast.

Who says the people in Arizona or Florida wouldn't want to go to one of those just for the experience?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Who says the people in Arizona or Florida wouldn't want to go to one of those just for the experience?
Are folks from Arizona or Miami making the trip to the other town for an outdoor game?

And even if they would, there’s zero chance the networks would allow for that matchup.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Are folks from Arizona or Miami making the trip to the other town for an outdoor game?

And even if they would, there’s zero chance the networks would allow for that matchup.

Well, you just basically nixed the idea of the Coyotes and Panthers playing from your first note. Regardless of what the networks would say, if you look at the history of the Winter Classic or Stadium Series, they typically keep teams in a geographical area.

Reactions: Summer Rose

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Well, you just basically nixed the idea of the Coyotes and Panthers playing from your first note. Regardless of what the networks would say, if you look at the history of the Winter Classic or Stadium Series, they typically keep teams in a geographical area.
The post I responded to suggested that the Coyotes and Panthers play each other in an outdoor game, which is the single worst matchup they could put together. If the Coyotes play an outdoor game it should be Vegas or LA, and the Panthers should play the Lightning, but that would have to be an indoor game regardless

Reactions: Spydey629

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
This should've been the Winter Classic, but after SEA-VGK bombed in the ratings, this was never going to be more than SS.
That would be a terrible move for the market. January is college football time in Columbus.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
This should've been the Winter Classic, but after SEA-VGK bombed in the ratings, this was never going to be more than SS.
Given the TV rights (and Winter Classic having to move days), I don’t think there is a difference in stature at this point between the Winter Classic and Stadium Series.

GrkFlyersFan

Jul 30, 2011
South Jersey
Given the TV rights (and Winter Classic having to move days), I don’t think there is a difference in stature at this point between the Winter Classic and Stadium Series.
Next one's still New Year's Day. But I think both SS games this year got better ratings than the Winter Classic which went up against Alabama

Reaser

May 19, 2021
Next one's still New Year's Day. But I think both SS games this year got better ratings than the Winter Classic which went up against Alabama

Yup, and the SS beating the WC is a new thing. Not a trend, yet.

But, with the expanded CFP, CFB is going to take over (take back) the entire day. So this year it was a partial excuse, and OTA v. cable is an explanation, but it most had to do with the matchups.

Next season will tell a better story, STL-CHI v. DET-CBJ, with the former having competition, being on TNT v. ABC, but we'll see if the WC gets less viewership than the SS, again. If it does then it's the new standard and the WC probably needs to change dates. Or better yet, just take over the SS spot on the calendar and just have one U.S. based outdoor game a season. Natural excuse to solve some of the outdoor fatigue that many have, or at least say they have.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
They didn’t announce a day for next year. And with the CFP expanding I’m guessing it won’t be Jan. 1 as there are going to college playoff games from Noon to 9 on News Years.

Bucky_Hoyt

Dec 11, 2005
Singapore
I've done some thinking and I decided the 25-26 WC should be Colorado at Utah (Rice-Eccles Stadium) and SS should be Tampa Bay at Florida (Hard Rock Stadium).
I think if it's in greater Miami, they probably do one at LoanDepot park and no later than end of Feb due to WBC. For Tampa, would be nostalgic to do a 'Thunderdome' game but open up all the 40k seats.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
I think if it's in greater Miami, they probably do one at LoanDepot park and no later than end of Feb due to WBC. For Tampa, would be nostalgic to do a 'Thunderdome' game but open up all the 40k seats.
With LoanDepot Park you run the risk of having to close the roof in case of inclement weather, that's what happened when BC Place hosted the Heritage Classic years before.

The Stadium Series is meant to be played outdoors. So Tropicana Field would also be out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad