U18: 2024 WJC18 Switzerland roster talk

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I liked Meier so far in this tournament, only guy to step up in the past games. For the draft he positioned himself into a late round.
Muggli has great talent and can adapt really quick to any level. However, he broke down under the expectations on him: first time in years he is not the underager in a team, all eyes and pressure were on him and he had to take responsibility. That is not a situation he is used to: overmotivated and naive rush resulted in getting hammered in the NZ. For a guy who was carefully and thoughtfully introduced to the NL like no Junior ever before I expected more. Overall: not there yet but definitely the most promising D.
Ustinkov has most skills of all Ds! However, he played mediocre so far and that is a joke for a calibre like him. He needs to figure out that the game at top level is played differently than in Junior League or SL. Unfortunately he is also lazy and he has not yet realized what it is all about. Compared to Muggli he is still a kid.
Reber is a good player. Healthy and rested he can create something offensively. He can be egoistic and strive for the goal, which is a strength. At the same time it makes it hard for the line mates to read his game and support him. Too small for a early draft.
Another name that used to pop up in this team was Antenen. Where was he so far?! Given the trust and the TOI in the league this year he was given, he is a disappointment at this tournament.
Kirsch was not having his best tournament so far. A lot of great saves but he also let in some questionable goals. Nevertheless, I still see him as #1 goalie in this tournament. Mentally strong he can handle any unfortunate situation.

I agree with the rest but it was a mistake not to play the other goalies. Now you're pretty much stuck with Kirsch who gave up six bad goals the last two games. You just know he'll continue to bleed soft goals. You could always play Lachat or Neuenschwander but one barely played in this tournament and the other didn't play at all. Just a bad situation which was completely avoidable.

I've said this long ago but Antenen isn't very effective as a winger. Not at this level. He was good on the wing in international games previously but that was because of him playing with two extremely creative playmakers (Forget and Reber). Antenen is a great player in his own right but he does lack creativity. If you want him to have an offensive impact you need to use him alongside creative players. Otherwise he's best used as a two way shutdown Center. Him playing on the wing of Wey or Grossniklaus means he's pretty much wasted. You need to put players in positions to succeed.

In that context I feel like I have to mention Ustinkov as well. While I'm unhappy with his performances this tournament I have to admit that his usage is far from ideal. Not only is he asked to play on his off side but he's paired with Blessing as well. Blessing is easily the worst player on this roster besides the obviously injured Ponzetto. Blessing is certainly the weak link on defense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Manster

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Would be surprised if Forget plays tomorrow. Since he's clearly injured I'd send Ponzetto packing as well. That means Switzerland would be without Muggli, Guignard, Giger, Domenichelli, Forget, Grossniklaus, Forget and Ponzetto. Rough.

Totally not gonna happen but based on that, here's what I'd do:

Neuenschwander
Lachat

Ustinkov, Meier
Sansonnens, Kurt
Johnson, Richard
Blessing, Geisser

Bosson, Antenen, Steiner
Körbler, Reber, Cattin
Weber, Tarchini, Wey
Borradori, Mottard, Haas

Try to match the Antenen and Mottard lines vs the US top lines and give them as many defense zone starts as possible. Antenen is an absolute beast as a shutdown Center. He needs to play down the middle. Mottard is a very responsible two way Center as well. Pack all the skill still available on the roster into the other two lines and hope that, helped by favourable matchups, they'll score some goals. On defense, I haven't liked Blessing and Geisser so I'd play pretty much six players only for as long as the game is tight. Top4 expected to shoulder heavy workload in this one. Surprisingly, Joel Kurt hasn't played much in this tournament. I hope he's not injured. I thought he looked good in limited viewings though. In goal, I'd play Neuenschwander or Lachat and hope for the best. This game will be over after the 1st period if the Swiss goalie is bleeding soft goals and I lost trust in Kirsch.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Yeah, this is just over. Kirsch in net and Wehrli in for Forget as 13th forward. Just 7 defensemen with Muggli out. I'm not a fan of this lineup. Can't beat the US like that.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Blessing is just flat out horrible, passing the puck to the US forechecker while being the last man in his own zone. What the heck. Why is that guy on the roster?

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Well, considering all the Swiss top players are either out with injury or playing half dead (with Ustinkov being the lone exception) I think a scoreless period is an accomplishment already.

Reactions: Kuracmugger

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Complete bs call. Meier barely touched that guy. If anything, that should have been a Swiss PP. TSN announcers surprised as well. Wtf refs.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Too many men. Same bs every international game. Elite Swiss coaching on display again.

Antenen playing 4vs4 vs Hagens thinking it's a good idea to skate right into the next best US guy he can find. Doesn't get any dumber. There was zero pressure on him. He had all the time of this world to either pass that puck or retreat. What a horrible brainfart.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
GG's. Good effort with good goaltending. But Hagens and a couple of others are just too good.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
GG's. Good effort with good goaltending. But Hagens and a couple of others are just too good.

Well, that was more of a gift than anybody being too good. You can't skate into your opponents like that on a 4vs4. That's just an automatic grade a chance against you and almost always a goal. I don't even know what Antenen tried to do there. Horrible brainfart.

Reactions: Svedu

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I guess goals like the 2nd and 3rd one can happen against the US but that Antenen brainfart is pissing me the f*** off. I like the player but if I'm coaching this team, that guy can sit on the bench for the rest of the game. Unacceptable turnover.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad