Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v1 |Sun, Apr 7| @NYY | 1:30pm ET/10:30am PT | Francis vs Gil

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
New season, so here we go with our first GDT of the year.

The Jays are on a lengthy road trip to start the year in order to allow the Rogers Centre more than enough time to finish the renovations and get ready for the home opener. It begins with a 4-game set vs the Rays

Thu - 4pm ET/1pm PT - Berrios vs Eflin
Fri - 6:50pm ET/3:50pm PT - Bassitt vs Civale
Sat - 4pm ET/1pm PT - Kikuchi vs Littell
Sun - 1:30pm ET/10:30am PT - TBA vs TBA

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
What's so impressive about Tampa's rotation? Why are they picked to be so good or at least a playoff team?
It's more about the pitching staff as a whole with the Rays since they usually have a dominant bullpen and a ton of depth. Plus they always seem to find a hidden gems each year and turn waiver wire pickups into mid-rotation starters, so you should probably expect them to far outperform their name value.

At the same time, they've usually had a couple of known quantities to anchor the rotation, and this year they have Eflin (who broke out last year, because Rays, but has a track record as a back-end starter beyond that), and a bunch of questionmarks. I don't want to doubt them because they're the Rays and this is what they do, but the rotation looks worse than it has in years.

Also, apparently Jacob Waguespack made the team out of the pen. There's a name I didn't expect to see.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Also, last year who had the TB rays scoring that many runs and so many guys breaking out offensively? Why can't that happen in Toronto? I believe that can happen.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Also, last year who had the TB rays scoring that many runs and so many guys breaking out offensively? Why can't that happen in Toronto? I believe that can happen.
But will the Blue Jays play there young players over IKF, Biggio and Kiermaier? I'd love to see what Barger, Clement and Schneider can do with actual playing time.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
But will the Blue Jays play there young players over IKF, Biggio and Kiermaier? I'd love to see what Barger, Clement and Schneider can do with actual playing time.
I think the young guys will get more and more playing time as they prove themselves.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I think if Clement can take Kiner-Falefa's job he'll have every opportunity to do so. Because the optimal setup would be Clement being a better hitter and getting more innings at 3rd while freeing IKF to be the thing he's best at: a first-off-the-bench defensive super-sub who can be the guy that spells basically any of the non-Vladdy infielders or any of the outfielders when they need a day off. That way Clement gets a starter's workload to show what he can do and Kiner-Falefa probably racks up 100-140 games just by virtue of being the primary substitution option and getting into 20+ games at 5+ positions

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
It's always funny that Siddall and Joseph are good at explaining hitting and talking and dissecting mechanics when they were career .169 and .222 hitters respectively.

I guess it's a "those who can't do teach" thing :laugh:

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
That's a depressing looking turnout for a season opener for a good team, even considering that The Trop is a shithole in the middle of nowhere and they've never drawn all that well. The entire upper bowl is empty, which suggests that the Rays don't even entertain the idea of opening it.

Reactions: Habs10Habs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad