Post-Game Talk: 2024 NHL Playoffs - Round 1: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Florida Panthers | FLA wins 4-1

Who wins?

• Lightning in 4

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Lightning in 5

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Lightning in 6

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Lightning in 7

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Panthers in 4

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Panthers in 5

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Panthers in 6

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Panthers in 7

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

flying squirrel

Feb 11, 2019
Lightning east playoff path is rarely easy
  • They seem to get a brutal, more physical, and highly contested 1st round match-up yearly.
  • Picking east path is like picking between poison, 1,000 cuts, or a slow death. No great choice really and one just smacks down what's in front of ya.
  • With Lightning depth being biggest weakness this year: it might be best face one of toughest east opponents early on. When legs/bodies are freshest they'll be during these playoffs. Unless Lightning can sweep and rest up, but thought of to much playoff rest..... Grrrrrr
  • Success odds are increased a bunch if Motte & Glendening come back healthy. Their Special teams play and face-offs contributions these year have been huge!
  • Staying healthy will make or break Lightning these playoffs.
  • Vasy will need to be great, but turnovers have to stop, especially unforced!
  • Would be nice if D started finding back of net.
  • I'm a superstitious sports freak: Sorry Sheary, nothing personal but bad mojo is following you bro and it's coming off Joanna like. Pray, dance around a fire, call a Voodoo doctor, go on some mushroom trip, or whatever it takes to do away with this funk. We're pulling for Sheary and would love for him to go off during playoffs. Think it would be fun to watch after season he's had. OK, enough with the silly/joking talk.
  • Need 1-1 split to start on road
  • Chance to get 3"Cups" in 5 years, take it Lightning.
It's go time, every game matters and we're about to find out how this new Lightning bunch handles playoff pressure. Not so much worried about experienced core, that have been here and done that. It's how new additions handle playoff hockey that bring about biggest ???????'s heading in to playoffs. If they can handle playoff pressure without million turnovers, Lightning increase odds of doing something special 10-fold.

Go Lightning !!!!!!

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
I don't fear the kitty cats. Until they win a cup, they are pretenders.
Worst possible matchup for the Lightning in the eastern conference. Brutal
This is HF Lightning spectrum. The optimist in me says what outlaw believes. The realist in me is what Lightning said.

Hands down the best thing for us is a relaxed underdog mentality and starting on the road. My expectations of this team is incredibly low and I didn't think we'd even clinch. Now, it's do or die. I believe, but this is going to take all the Cernak bubble wrap and extra padded Vasy blockers in the universe.

Good news is, whoever is waiting in round two is a limp dick compared to Florida.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
I expect Panthers in 5 and the Lightning to lose both games that go to OT, so anything better than that is an unexpected pleasure to me.

The one positive thing is that the Lightning are not scared of playing on the road, specifically in a building that rarely gets hostile. Panthers' arena gets extremely quiet even when a game is pretty even, TD Garden is much more intimidating. Confident the Lightning CAN get a road split, WILL they? Who knows

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
ridiculously small amount of travel is good for the team, i guess.

nhl playoffs and depression are like peanut butter and jelly for the soul. i eagerly await it

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
ridiculously small amount of travel is good for the team, i guess.

nhl playoffs and depression are like peanut butter and jelly for the soul. i eagerly await it
Can we just get 1 OT win in the playoffs? Been depressing/frustrating seeing these soul-crushing OT losses the last few years. I believe we're 1-9 in OT games since the start of the 2021 Playoffs.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Can we just get 1 OT win in the playoffs? Been depressing/frustrating seeing these soul-crushing OT losses the last few years. I believe we're 1-9 in OT games since the start of the 2021 Playoffs.
What? You don't like us that playing death by structure all OT long? Focusing on that low event hockey that just allows whoever we face to beat the shit out of us until we inevitably lose?

• Haha
Reactions: Hockeyville USA

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL

If any games go to OT, something has to start breaking back the other way.

Lightning are 1-10 in their last 11 playoff OT games.

Panthers are 10-0 in their last 10 playoff OT games.

Stats like that can't continue, they're both insane.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
If any games go to OT, something has to start breaking back the other way.

Lightning are 1-10 in their last 11 playoff OT games.

Panthers are 10-0 in their last 10 playoff OT games.

Stats like that can't continue, they're both insane.
Before our 1-10 run didn't we have a crazy positive stat in OT too?

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021
Worst possible matchup for the Lightning in the eastern conference. Brutal
Well if we're not gonna win it all, better to go out in the first round and give JBB a slightly more valuable suite of draft picks to trade away next year!

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Well if we're not gonna win it all, better to go out in the first round and give JBB a slightly more valuable suite of draft picks to trade away next year!

How_do_we_tell_him_cover.jpg

BowB4Bolts

Aug 6, 2021
Tampa
A knowledgeable friend said he saw a NHL post on Facebook saying

Game 1 12:30pm Sunday

I'm off FB for a bit...so..any verification?

A knowledgeable friend said he saw a NHL post on Facebook saying

Game 1 12:30pm Sunday

I'm off FB for a bit...so..any verification?
BTW....12:30 ?? WTF?!?!?

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
I don't think we have what it takes to beat the Panthers but of course I hope for the best. Vasy has to be in Conn Smythe form for us to have a chance. They've continuosly beat our faces in the last couple of years so here's a chance to make them pay.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Problem is Florida has pushed the Bolts around alot the last two years physically. They can get away with alot more now in the PO.

Our guys are gonna be scared to get hit and cough up alot of pucks

I do think Game 1 will be the most physical, with the 1st period of game 2 being rough and could see it calming down a bit. Game 1 will be a blood bath though

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

Tampa22

Eternally grateful TBL enforcers!
Oct 11, 2010
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Love to play the Panthers, I expected this war in the second round.
They are a pretty good team, must be a great series!
Expect lot of physical plays and if the score is out of hand misconducts all over the place!!!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad