Post-Game Talk: 2024 NHL Playoffs - Round 1: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Florida Panthers | FLA wins 4-1

Who wins?

• Lightning in 4

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Lightning in 5

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Lightning in 6

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • Lightning in 7

Votes: 14 25.5%
  • Panthers in 4

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Panthers in 5

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • Panthers in 6

Votes: 9 16.4%
  • Panthers in 7

Votes: 1 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Its pretty crazy because there is a path back to the SCF. If Boston wins that a very favorable and winnable matchup for us. After that you gotta fight off NYR or CAR. This round could easily be the toughest.
Yeah, Florida might be the best "playoff" team in the east. They're a monster when Bob is on his game. If he was just a liiiiiittle off in Game 2 this would be a 2-2 series right now. But he still has that vezina gear.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Yeah, Florida might be the best "playoff" team in the east. They're a monster when Bob is on his game. If he was just a liiiiiittle off in Game 2 this would be a 2-2 series right now. But he still has that vezina gear.
I mean it’s highly unlikely at this point but we also have a goalie capable of stealing a game or even a series when he’s on.

OurlordAndSaviorKuch

Number one Bull$hit
Oct 12, 2011
Tampa Florida
Coop saying what he said coupled with Sergy back really jolted this team back to life and playing like they can. Just take this one game at a time.

I mean it’s highly unlikely at this point but we also have a goalie capable of stealing a game or even a series when he’s on.
Vasy has played fine he can only do so much with what has been happening in front of him. More so when he has been left out to dry as much as he has been.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
For sure. I just mean, Florida is a monster top to bottom, and when Bob is on it's hard to imagine them losing. We came about as close as you could in Game 2.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Coop saying what he said coupled with Sergy back really jolted this team back to life and playing like they can. Just take this one game at a time.
Obviously it shouldn’t take a teammate returning from severe injury to get these guys, professional athletes, motivated to show up and play up to capability in the playoffs.

But it’s a good story for sure. I still wonder how it’s possible for Serg to return this early. And I don’t mean “oh cool he’s walking again”, he’s playing one of the most physical and fastest sports at pro level. And he was solid. Insane.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
Off by 1. Could not reply in the closed thread so I pick up here your calling me out about Hagel. Pretty easy o make oneself look smart what a guy has a good game. I would invite you and the others that could have an open mind to reflect back. Hagel had 1 goal in March the whole month, month here the team was pushing to make the playoffs, thankfully Kuch Point and Stammer put them over the top. Then let’s look at the month of December well I’m sure there was area on Hagel did not have a single goal in Decpart of a streak that started in November where he had 17 games in a row without a goal. Know who else does this Anthony Cirelli. Other than take a superficial look into this game or that game dive into the game logs. Both Hagel and Cirelli ave periods of a few games where they score many of them mutiple point games. That in itself does not justify a position on THIS TEAM. A roster that has 57.55 million in salary tied up in 7 players. That’s 65.71% of the so for next year at Bettmans projection of 87.7 mil cap a number that is not set in stone yet. Well what does that mean? First off it does not include resigning Stamkos. It presents 15 players needed for a 22 man roster much less the 23 a team can carry. This number leaves 29 mil for the remaining 15 or 16 guys to fight for crumbs. Or about 1.9 mil per for 15 spots. We have seen in this past season what 2 mil or less buys you and that does not even take into consideration brainfarts like Sheary or Jeanott who should be league minimum guys.

Now what’s the solution ? With all the movement clauses I can’t see a path to return a cup competitive situation for a few years. I don’t see a path to signing Stammer a huge mistake just from a leadership point.

I get it Hagel is not a bad player at all but in the current team situation more is needed from him. Consistency the main thing he has very few games that he made the game deciding difference. Now do I expect him to be Kuch or Point or Stamkos in carrying the team like that ? No but at some point those players will have to be replaced. II can hear rebuttal now Hagel is young will Point was young too when he was making a difference. A point can be made that Paul has been better in important situations than Hagel when the game is on the line, and this does not just consider game winning goals which are misleading at times like when a guy has the game winning goal in a 3 goal victory. Sure sure sure his pay raise does not start until next season and at his lower salary point he has been a bargain. Question is can and will he up his production which is why he got a raise right…… maybe I hope so. But then again how many years have we waited on Cirelli to step it up? Or Druion or this guy or that guy. lol we can go by us trends. And even if he had mid 20 goal production last two years here we will see next season with a Stammerless team. Hagel will be the odd man out of the top line and need to carry the 2nd. There is no way in hell Point and Kuch are separated. Here is what I expect to see before Gagel new contract is over he will be as beat up as Johnny was . Again I hope I’m wrong and he turns into a star.

But here is one great thing at least we do not have 40 mil in 4 players like the Leafs that city and team are imploding. Take a few minutes and watch the Chris Johnston show. From the weekend after the Leafs went down 3-1.

LeafLoyalist

Oct 13, 2015
Off by 1. Could not reply in the closed thread so I pick up here your calling me out about Hagel. Pretty easy o make oneself look smart what a guy has a good game. I would invite you and the others that could have an open mind to reflect back. Hagel had 1 goal in March the whole month, month here the team was pushing to make the playoffs, thankfully Kuch Point and Stammer put them over the top. Then let’s look at the month of December well I’m sure there was area on Hagel did not have a single goal in Decpart of a streak that started in November where he had 17 games in a row without a goal. Know who else does this Anthony Cirelli. Other than take a superficial look into this game or that game dive into the game logs. Both Hagel and Cirelli ave periods of a few games where they score many of them mutiple point games. That in itself does not justify a position on THIS TEAM. A roster that has 57.55 million in salary tied up in 7 players. That’s 65.71% of the so for next year at Bettmans projection of 87.7 mil cap a number that is not set in stone yet. Well what does that mean? First off it does not include resigning Stamkos. It presents 15 players needed for a 22 man roster much less the 23 a team can carry. This number leaves 29 mil for the remaining 15 or 16 guys to fight for crumbs. Or about 1.9 mil per for 15 spots. We have seen in this past season what 2 mil or less buys you and that does not even take into consideration brainfarts like Sheary or Jeanott who should be league minimum guys.

Now what’s the solution ? With all the movement clauses I can’t see a path to return a cup competitive situation for a few years. I don’t see a path to signing Stammer a huge mistake just from a leadership point.

I get it Hagel is not a bad player at all but in the current team situation more is needed from him. Consistency the main thing he has very few games that he made the game deciding difference. Now do I expect him to be Kuch or Point or Stamkos in carrying the team like that ? No but at some point those players will have to be replaced. II can hear rebuttal now Hagel is young will Point was young too when he was making a difference. A point can be made that Paul has been better in important situations than Hagel when the game is on the line, and this does not just consider game winning goals which are misleading at times like when a guy has the game winning goal in a 3 goal victory. Sure sure sure his pay raise does not start until next season and at his lower salary point he has been a bargain. Question is can and will he up his production which is why he got a raise right…… maybe I hope so. But then again how many years have we waited on Cirelli to step it up? Or Druion or this guy or that guy. lol we can go by us trends. And even if he had mid 20 goal production last two years here we will see next season with a Stammerless team. Hagel will be the odd man out of the top line and need to carry the 2nd. There is no way in hell Point and Kuch are separated. Here is what I expect to see before Gagel new contract is over he will be as beat up as Johnny was . Again I hope I’m wrong and he turns into a star.

But here is one great thing at least we do not have 40 mil in 4 players like the Leafs that city and team are imploding. Take a few minutes and watch the Chris Johnston show. From the weekend after the Leafs went down 3-1.
I can see you are just a bottle of joy! Tell you what, give us Hagel/Cirelli and we will give you Marner/Tavares, and The Leafs would be way better off....and you would actually think you are better off . One of the most underrated ideology in hockey is that 'offense starts with great defence'...if you don't understand that you've already lost.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I can see you are just a bottle of joy! Tell you what, give us Hagel/Cirelli and we will give you Marner/Tavares, and The Leafs would be way better off....and you would actually think you are better off . One of the most underrated ideology in hockey is that 'offense starts with great defence'...if you don't understand that you've already lost.
Take that dude with a grain of salt.

We all know if we let Stamkos walk our offenses is gonna be classic Nashville level.

Cirelli is the most logical move if clearing cap is necessary. It will hurt, but not as bad as losing a 40G captain. Agreed w/ we have to get something of solid value back in return if Cirelli is traded.

Hagel is going nowhere btw.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I would be interested Marner is the team could afford him. You can Keep Tavares. You must have a combination of offense defense and goaltending overloading in either area with Cap creates what Toronto has now and the path the Lightning have chosen the last three years.
Take that dude with a grain of salt.

We all know if we let Stamkos walk our offenses is gonna be classic Nashville level.

Cirelli is the most logical move if clearing cap is necessary. It will hurt, but not as bad as losing a 40G captain. Agreed w/ we have to get something of solid value back in return if Cirelli is traded.

Hagel is going nowhere btw.
I would not be so confident Stamkos is going to take a bargain contract at this point. Maybe last summer the case could have been made but when Stammer was willing and JBB wasn’t. Now another year past team showed no improvment over last season. Stammer still had 40 goals of which I’m pretty sure you were one of those pointing out that most were PPG when in fact he had 21 5x5 and 19 PP. Reguardless it’s all about numbers now. I would love to see how you justify the last four years of subtracting goal scoring and veteran leadership being a good thing. Now Hagel addition has deterred a portion , some was made up by Kuch with 144 points but do we really think he can repeat that each year? Kuch is my favorite player in the league but 144 is special. Point took a did in goals this year but still a 40 goal guy and Stammer hit 40 as well. Yet expectations are that Stammer should take a haircut. Another of my favorites Killorn whose game is far more rounded than either Cirelli or Hagel was asked to take peanuts to resign. Makes me sick he’s a Duck but he’s still worth what they payed him. He missed like 20 games at the first of the year on a crappy team but still had a good year.

Now you can ignore the situation the team is in but JBB is at a dead end and most of the current contracts are his not Yzers. Yet I guess we expect both Kuch and Point to go to Stammer and say hey look Cap we’re both underpaid take less so we can be a wildcard team again. Things have to make sense. Ts not like take a lower contract so we can win another cup…… Stamkos does not need the money his grandkids will never have to work as it is. But the pride thing is real JBB here Stammer take less than Hagel , Cirelli, Sergi because we want you too. Makes no sense.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
I would be interested Marner is the team could afford him. You can Keep Tavares. You must have a combination of offense defense and goaltending overloading in either area with Cap creates what Toronto has now and the path the Lightning have chosen the last three years.

I would not be so confident Stamkos is going to take a bargain contract at this point. Maybe last summer the case could have been made but when Stammer was willing and JBB wasn’t. Now another year past team showed no improvment over last season. Stammer still had 40 goals of which I’m pretty sure you were one of those pointing out that most were PPG when in fact he had 21 5x5 and 19 PP. Reguardless it’s all about numbers now. I would love to see how you justify the last four years of subtracting goal scoring and veteran leadership being a good thing. Now Hagel addition has deterred a portion , some was made up by Kuch with 144 points but do we really think he can repeat that each year? Kuch is my favorite player in the league but 144 is special. Point took a did in goals this year but still a 40 goal guy and Stammer hit 40 as well. Yet expectations are that Stammer should take a haircut. Another of my favorites Killorn whose game is far more rounded than either Cirelli or Hagel was asked to take peanuts to resign. Makes me sick he’s a Duck but he’s still worth what they payed him. He missed like 20 games at the first of the year on a crappy team but still had a good year.

Now you can ignore the situation the team is in but JBB is at a dead end and most of the current contracts are his not Yzers. Yet I guess we expect both Kuch and Point to go to Stammer and say hey look Cap we’re both underpaid take less so we can be a wildcard team again. Things have to make sense. Ts not like take a lower contract so we can win another cup…… Stamkos does not need the money his grandkids will never have to work as it is. But the pride thing is real JBB here Stammer take less than Hagel , Cirelli, Sergi because we want you too. Makes no sense.
1) I don't think Stamkos should take a low ball offer.

2) I do think the offense will be substantially worse without him

3) I'd much rather him stay on a small overpay than him leave to save 2M

4) I really have no idea what you're talking about

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

OffBy1

Aug 5, 2021

Yes, I was making light of your ongoing fixation and ever increasing expectations of Hagel - the latest apparently being he doesn't score consistently enough, because he had some lengthy dry spells over the season? A season in which he had a career year points wise?

I'm going rest my case (because this is beyond tedious at this point) with the following:

Hagel was 8th overall in even strength scoring. He had more even strength points than Leon Draisaitl, Miko Rantanen, Filip Forsbeg, William Nylander, JT Miller, Brayden Point, Mitch Marner and Matthew Tkachuk. All of those guys have a 2 mil or more higher cap hit than Hagel.

He also tied Sam Reinhart, JT Miller and Jake Guentzel in even strength goals. Carter VH and Wil Nylander managed just one more ES goal than Hagel.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
1) I don't think Stamkos should take a low ball offer.

2) I do think the offense will be substantially worse without him

3) I'd much rather him stay on a small overpay than him leave to save 2M

4) I really have no idea what you're talking about
The whole point is Cap. And Cap supported by production. It is impossible to deny the team has a production problem most assured in the bottom 6 and thru the D. Absent Stamkos you can even say the bottom 9 will be a struggle making matchups to our first line even more limiting. This shines the light on movment clauses and what could be done to address each area that improves the team. With no real picks or talent feeding the roster, what is the answer? What’s really needed s cost controlled talent instead of streaky guys like Cirelli and Hagel . I may be wrong about Stamkos willingness to accept less but I am not wrong about at best this is a bubble wildcard team. Which could well impact Stamkos decision where he wants to play the last couple years of his career. Is money more important to him or playing for another cup.. one can look back to many that chose to chase another cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad