Prospect Info: 2024 NHL Entry Draft (Ducks pick #3, They didn’t drop! OMG It’s a Miracle!)

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal

EP: Let's talk rush defence. You're one of the top guys in the prospect sphere at rush defence. What are the reads, mindset, skill, and all that good stuff?

TP:

It starts with knowing who I'm playing against, what they like to do, and what their systems are. For example, we play (top 2024 NHL Draft prospect) Michael Hage often. He's dynamic off the rush. I know he wants to do a lot of high-end stuff: Cutting east, cutting west, weight shifts, etc.

Knowing that whenever Hage or (his linemates) Mick Thompson or Charlie Major, get the puck, I want to try to create some false gap to the middle. Meaning, make them think their only option is to the outside. Visually, just trying to make them think I'm taking away the middle as much as possible, but I'm really inviting them where I want to go.

From there, it's stick detail, like whether my palm is up or down. Maybe try to show my backhand and take away a few extra seconds of space. Those higher-end guys are fearless about going through sticks, so I want to be in a position where they can't walk through it. It's very rare to see a poke check in transition [at this level], but I want to hide my stick so they get too close, and that's when I can deflect the puck into the corner or tip it.
Do we have numbers? Where am I? Where are they? Do they have speed? Do I have speed? And from there, match their speed, getting at a 45-degree with them – right where I want them to be so I can go either way. Hopefully, they'll try to take me wide, and I can turn and close and get in front of their shoulders so they can't use my momentum.

A lot of people talk about big hits, but it's pretty hard to hit those higher-end guys with how shifty and skilled they are. Instead, it's about getting body positioning and forcing them to run into you; making them make the first move and taking it from there.

EP: That was incredible.

I sure like this a lot.

He makes multiple mentions of mintyukov and emulating his game off of him. Very interesting because he plays in the USHL and would really only be exposed to mintyukov through video/word of mouth.

Some interesting quotes on how Anaheim has handled minty as well.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
I got my Like button back, I'm out of the sin bin!

Thats fair.

I personally have never been a huge Karlsson fan. He has never been capable of playing defense when you need to lock a game down. He will never be in the same level as Keith, Doughty, Weber, Chara, Hedman, etc because of that reason.

Look at his stats, he is near PPG and a career -98. Obviously +/- isn't perfect, but compare that to other "elite" defensemen:
Scotty: +167
Chara: +301
Weber: +79
Suter: +121
Pronger: +183
Lidstrom: +450
Doughty: +60
Keith: +159
Hedman: +175

There is a 158 goal differential between him and the next lowest.

He is an amazing hockey player, but I don't think it is a mystery why he has never won a cup. You can't win a cup where he is your best defensemen.
So what does that mean to elite players like McDavid?

Gliff

Tank Commander
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Tennessee

Demidov is growing on me. This is the second scouting report in a row I have seen that kind of did away with some concerns I had with him.

He isn't shy of contact or getting to the middle of the ice.
He does not shy away from finishing his checks (even though his size limits the effectiveness).
He backchecks hard and is always looking for the steal.

Reactions: ScarTroy

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Worth checking out the article for all of the clips they show. Lots of talent that will translate to NHL level

I really like this player. His skating and physical game remind me of Manson, but then there's a whole offensive element well beyond what Josh has ever shown. Not really seeing any glaring flaw there, just some areas that require some coaching.

Rasp

Apr 9, 2019
I really like this player. His skating and physical game remind me of Manson, but then there's a whole offensive element well beyond what Josh has ever shown. Not really seeing any glaring flaw there, just some areas that require some coaching.
He looks so good. Got so much aggression and gives out big hits which is what we need on this team. His puck skills are so smooth and his goal scoring is fantastic and transferable to NHL level.

They didnt talk about any negatives though haha but lets just hope he sorts them out after being drafted.

Minty was -14 with 17 goals 62 points in his draft year when he was focusing on offense. He managed to learn to play defence the following year. Yakemchuk in a similar role -6 with 30 GOALS 71 points.

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The way it lines up for me
Celebrini goes 1st(tho I could see Chicago go Demidov 1st)

Chicago 2nd, they go Demidov
Sharks 2nd, they go levshunov
Columbus 2nd, they go lindstrom

I feel like Anaheim is prob the wild card at 2

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
The way it lines up for me
Celebrini goes 1st(tho I could see Chicago go Demidov 1st)

Chicago 2nd, they go Demidov
Sharks 2nd, they go levshunov
Columbus 2nd, they go lindstrom

I feel like Anaheim is prob the wild card at 2
Anaheim is usually the wild card no matter where they pick

Reactions: Kalv

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Curious how high iginla goes, he’s 1 of the younger players in the draft… I think he’s basically top 5 for goals by 18u player since 1990.

6 goals in 4 games to start his whl playoff…. Seems like a guy that’ll rise a bit if he continues to have this kinda playoff

Reactions: Hockey Duckie

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Zeev Buium. I have a gut feeling that’s our guy. Really hoping for a Denver v BC matchup
The issue with Buium is where is he going to fit? Is he better than Mintyukov and Zellweger? Or even LaCombe? Someone is going to have to be traded or moved to their off side in order to fit Buium into the lineup in the next decade. Same situation for Dickinson. It's all possible but I wonder if it makes sense. I certainly don't see him going in the top 2-3 but this is a crazy draft year so who knows.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
The issue with Buium is where is he going to fit? Is he better than Mintyukov and Zellweger? Or even LaCombe? Someone is going to have to be traded or moved to their off side in order to fit Buium into the lineup in the next decade. Same situation for Dickinson. It's all possible but I wonder if it makes sense. I certainly don't see him going in the top 2-3 but this is a crazy draft year so who knows.
Doesn’t Dickinson play both sides comfortably, I feel like I remember reading that

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Curious how high iginla goes, he’s 1 of the younger players in the draft… I think he’s basically top 5 for goals by 18u player since 1990.

6 goals in 4 games to start his whl playoff…. Seems like a guy that’ll rise a bit if he continues to have this kinda playoff
I could see Iginla going 4th or 5th if a team really liked him. He's got the bloodlines and talent to be a really good player. I'm not at all convinced that the Ducks are going to take a D with their 1st pick.

Reactions: Zegs2sendhelp

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I could see Iginla going 4th or 5th if a team really liked him. He's got the bloodlines and talent to be a really good player. I'm not at all convinced that the Ducks are going to take a D with their 1st pick.
I’ve become less convinced

I still like levshunov a lot
Biuim has grown on me a lot while watching college playoffs
Dickinson seems like a pretty safe pick, tho we are heavy on LHD, so it doesn’t exactly excite me.

Not big on lidstrom or silayev
Can’t see us going Demidov(tho might be the right pick)

I like catton, iginla, helenius and MBN as forwards but they all seem like reaches at where we are picking…. Exception being catton.

If we end up 4 or 5 and went iginla catton or helenius I don’t think I’d be upset

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
I’ve become less convinced

I still like levshunov a lot
Biuim has grown on me a lot while watching college playoffs
Dickinson seems like a pretty safe pick, tho we are heavy on LHD, so it doesn’t exactly excite me.

Not big on lidstrom or silayev
Can’t see us going Demidov(tho might be the right pick)

I like catton, iginla, helenius and MBN as forwards but they all seem like reaches at where we are picking…. Exception being catton.

If we end up 4 or 5 and went iginla catton or helenius I don’t think I’d be upset

I have a bit of time off and ended up having a good buddy come visit for the day, very accomplished hockey guy but hasn't read into this year's draft prospects at all (outside of knowing Celebrini from WJC of course). Decided to sort of blindly get his thoughts on the top Dmen in this draft, watching some shift by shift videos and highlights. Of course gave me a chance to watch them all closely one after the other as well.

- saw massive upside and high floor in Silayev. At worst you are going to get an imposing defensive minute muncher. Would have no problem gambling on his potential with any pick after Celebrini. The potential to be a Chara/Hedman is not out of the question.

- Dickinson looks like a can't miss guy. Perhaps not elite but very good in all aspects. Could step right in and play right now. Just guilty of trying to do a bit too much, at a level where he mostly can.

- did not care much for Levshunov. Explosive skating ability is readily apparent but decision making was setting off red flags. Funny enough he brought up the exact comparable I mentioned here recently (Dumba). Said it would scare him to use a really early pick on a Dman who looks light years away from defending like an NHL Dman.

- Yakemchuk had him really impressed in highlights and then the shift to shit caused him to back off a bit, decision making away from the puck also questionable and skating is really just ok. Still thought he definitely looks like he'll run someone's powerplay in the future.

Originally was just going to leave it there, thought it would be interesting to hear what he thought about Silayev vs Dickinson and Levshunov vs Yakemchuk. Then a Buium video popped up in the recommendations.

When you watch all five of these D one after the other, one thing becomes readily apparent - Buium's IQ is through the roof. He's not a powerful skater but such an effective one, so in control of his edges and has the presence of mind to constantly use deception. One of those guys who can seemingly play standing still or slow the game to his pace, with incredible spatial sense and an ability to make guys miss. His eyes put forecheckers where he wants them and his feet take him safely to open ice. I thoroughly enjoyed watching him more than the others. He generated the most instances of the one syllable reactions by far "(ie oof or damn). Kid is a really crafty and intelligent player, if everyone in this draft was forced to make use of the exact same physical tools - I think Buium's smarts would make him the best player in the class. Big fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad