GDT: 2024 NHL Draft (June 28 - June 29, Las Vegas Sphere)

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
1. Celebrini > Sharks
2. Smith joins him to start their careers together
3. Leonard then has second thoughts and decides to make the jump

I still find it unlikely, I think Leonard is pretty alright just playing hockey in college for another year. But you never know, Cooley changed his mind over the summer last year

QuadrupleDeke

33% more deke
Aug 6, 2009
Boston, MA
Ryan Leonard's brother was a Hobey Baker finalist, and with the limits on nominations from one team, Ryan wasn't even nominated this year. Combine that with getting so close to a national title and not winning it, and losing in the Beanpot semis, I suspect he thinks he has some unfinished business.

Cutter leaving probably moves him up to top PP option, and even if Smith leaves BC is getting next year's top pick in James Hagens who just tore up the U18s, so a Leonard-Hagens-Perreault line would be fun as hell.

He definitely still could leave, but with Fowler staying, Perreault almost certainly staying, and Hagens (and maybe Letourneau) joining this year, they're the favorites. Winning in college is a lot more fun than losing in the NHL.

Reactions: usiel and Kazer

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I don't get it. He would look really stupid to back away from NHL playoffs only to join month later anyway because one of his friend leaves?

No way.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Ryan Leonard's brother was a Hobey Baker finalist, and with the limits on nominations from one team, Ryan wasn't even nominated this year. Combine that with getting so close to a national title and not winning it, and losing in the Beanpot semis, I suspect he thinks he has some unfinished business.

Cutter leaving probably moves him up to top PP option, and even if Smith leaves BC is getting next year's top pick in James Hagens who just tore up the U18s, so a Leonard-Hagens-Perreault line would be fun as hell.

He definitely still could leave, but with Fowler staying, Perreault almost certainly staying, and Hagens (and maybe Letourneau) joining this year, they're the favorites. Winning in college is a lot more fun than losing in the NHL.
Gauthier was on the other PP though for a stretch they had them with frosh line. Forgot that Hagens committed to BC so yeah that would be a natural fit. Also my new favorite Stiga is going to BC.

Reactions: Calicaps

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Also spotted this earlier in the week that was interesting that it sounds like eventually CHL players could be eligible for the NCAA

Most, it sounds, were interested in learning more. Instead of a vote they formed a committee to monitor and discuss how a potential move like this would be implemented. That group includes coaches Grant Potulny (Northern Michigan), Bill Riga (Holy Cross), Ben Barr (Maine), Andy Slaggert (Notre Dame), and Kris Mayotte (Colorado College) along with commissioners/administrators Doug Christiansen (ECAC), Steve Metcalf (Hockey East), Michelle Morgan (Atlantic Hockey), Adam Augustine (Big Ten), Heather Weems (NCHC) and Don Lucia (CCHA).

What needs to happen sooner than later is all parties who have a dog in this race need to get together and figure out how this can work, starting with the NHL.

As someone close to the story told me Saturday: "This is going to happen, it’s only a matter of when and how.” It sounds like the NCAA is now getting out in front of the issue if the "how" turns out to be litigation, which would end the rule quickly.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia

17. Washington Capitals: E.J. Emery, RHD, U.S. NTDP

If there’s going to be a D who jumps up into the teens and maybe surprises some fans, it’s starting to feel like it could be Emery. He left a positive final impression on everyone at U18 worlds and I think he’s going to impress more people at the combine both in the testing and interview process. His length, skating, untapped physical potential and developing puck game have a lot of draw for teams. The Capitals, after taking forwards Ryan Leonard and Andrew Cristall with their first two picks a year ago, feel like a potential fit (he also lines up with the kind of D they targeted when they drafted players like Vincent Iorio and Ryan Chesley).

Has Brandsegg-Nygard going at 15 and Sennecke at 16

Connelly at 18 and Hage at 19

No Greentree

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'd tend to go with Hage. He finished with 48 points in his last 28 games. Right shot center. Really intriguing skill level to build around with the potential to be a Suzuki/Trocheck type.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Reactions: Ridley Simon

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Not sure drafting another player he says is in the same mold as Iorio and Chesley is the pick. Rather take Mews there for his offensive game. If you think he isn't it, draft BPA forward.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Ok. FWIW —

Yes, I’m a guy
Yes, I grew up in the 80’S
Yes, I went to boarding school from ages 13-17
Yes, my friends and schoolmates used to pee on each other in the lockerroom (as a gag)
Yes, in living with other teenagers, the shit we did would embarrass Hugh Hefner
Yes, I know now how wrong a lot of it was
Yes, my brother in law (and my nephews) are jewish

I really hate the swastika piece to all of this. The racial piece — I’d want more detail, but that would be a massive “WTF”, to me.

This kid will either become a much better person for all of this, or he will descend into hate etc, as he won’t have learned shit about how to be a human these days.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Hage is my guy as well, been underlooked a bit being in USHL and really turned it on. Michigan should also be a good place to develop

He might end up on the wing, profiles similarly to Nick Schmaltz too which would be a pretty good outcome for a mid first

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Ok. FWIW —

Yes, I’m a guy
Yes, I grew up in the 80’S
Yes, I went to boarding school from ages 13-17
Yes, my friends and schoolmates used to pee on each other in the lockerroom (as a gag)
Yes, in living with other teenagers, the shit we did would embarrass Hugh Hefner
Yes, I know now how wrong a lot of it was
Yes, my brother in law (and my nephews) are jewish

I really hate the swastika piece to all of this. The racial piece — I’d want more detail, but that would be a massive “WTF”, to me.

This kid will either become a much better person for all of this, or he will descend into hate etc, as he won’t have learned shit about how to be a human these days.
The reality is... no matter how bizarre this may seem to many here... Jews make up just 2.4% of the US population and .2% of the global population. So as a matter of statistics, most people in the world, including most people in the US, have never met a Jewish person.

The result is that it makes the history that much more abstract. Those of us from Jewish-heavy urban centers can't necessarily imagine this, but for a lot of kids, Jews are a concept only. (Apparently, one of the most common questions students ask during field trips to Holocaust museums/memorials is: "Are there any Jews still alive?")

Last edited:

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Hage is my guy as well, been underlooked a bit being in USHL and really turned it on. Michigan should also be a good place to develop

He might end up on the wing, profiles similarly to Nick Schmaltz too which would be a pretty good outcome for a mid first
Would not hate that pick of they don't like any of the offensive D left at 17. I do agree the USHL can be vastly underrated. I think it's come around a ton in the past decade as being a legit tier 1 dev league.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
Interesting post re: Connelly and Matty Knies on the prospects forum.

Post in thread 'F Trevor Connelly - Tri-City Storm, USHL (2024 Draft)'
F Trevor Connelly - Tri-City Storm, USHL (2024 Draft)
So Knies was such an asshole that it was common knowledge in the scouting community and dropped him a round in the draft, but the hockey community is so insular that it didn't get out to the general public besides some mentions of maturity and consistency in scouting reports. Kinda makes you wonder how much worse Connelly has to be for his antics to have pierced the veil and reached us? I'd be willing to bet there's a handful of Knies-level assholes in every draft, but it takes a real outlier for it to make it to the public.

Side note - the guy you're quoting and at least one other poster in that thread attack the Athletic article for using unnamed sources, and I hate how common that argument's become.

Looks like The Athletic’s hit piece seems to have done it’s job by doctoring the narrative with unsourced or off the record quotes seven months after it was reported that Connelly was atoning for his mistakes and people who matter felt like he matured.

Unnamed sources are a standard practice in investigative journalism that never used to be questioned before about ten years ago. And it's not at all hard to see why people might've wanted to not be named in this article considering Connelly's parents hired a lawyer to threaten the author.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018
The reality is... no matter how bizarre this may seem to many here... Jews make up just 2.4% of the US population and .2% of the global population. So as a matter of statistics, most people in the world, including most people in the US, have never met a Jewish person.

The result is that it makes the history that much more abstract. Those of us from Jewish-heavy urban centers can't necessarily imagine this, but for a lot of kids, Jews are a concept only. (Apparently, one of the most common questions students ask during field trips to Holocaust museums/memorials is: "Are there any Jews still alive?")
I appreciate the grace you're extending to this kid, but Connelly grew up in the suburbs of LA. There's no way he made it to 16 without knowing any Jewish people.

Reactions: Calicaps

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad