GDT: 2024 NHL Draft (June 28 - June 29, Las Vegas Sphere)

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Early on there are seven horses at the top: Celebrini, Eisermann, Catton, Demidov and the three D Levshunov, Dickinson & Silayev. If they want a headline talent they may want to get into that range (and certainly may wind up there if they can't get their act together). Others like Jiricek, Connelly, Helenius, Hemming, MBN and others are solid but closer to the likes of Miro & Leonard I think.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

Early on there are seven horses at the top: Celebrini, Eisermann, Catton, Demidov and the three D Levshunov, Dickinson & Silayev. If they want a headline talent they may want to get into that range (and certainly may wind up there if they can't get their act together). Others like Jiricek, Connelly, Helenius, Hemming, MBN and others are solid but closer to the likes of Miro & Leonard I think.
Lots of good options to get excited about. The 7 you mentioned are really good ones. Along with them i really like Helenius and Jiricek. It's still very early but getting into that top-9 range would definitely get you a great piece to build around.

Reactions: usiel

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia

Under the proposed decentralized model laid out in the Oct. 18 memo, the league would use a 5,000- to 10,000-seat venue and have one or two representatives from each club on hand. Prospects would be greeted by commissioner Gary Bettman and a team rep on the draft stage for a brief photo opportunity after being selected and could later be flown with their family to the club’s home city after finishing broadcast and media responsibilities.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Not as high on the idea of Silayev as a top 3 pick based largely on frame and projection. Or Yakemchuk over Catton. Lindstrom at 10. Elick & Artamonov seem high. I'm a lot higher on Connelly and the omission of Parascak seems glaring. I'd likely also have Iginla in the first.

The later part of the teens may need to thicken up some and overall depth seems weak but it's still early. It's a crop largely defined by its blueline depth but I'd hesitate to pick one unless there's significant impact potential. A steadier, no-frills type--like an Elick but there are a few others--and I'm not sure that's enough value added. Nothing wrong with reliability but for them to make strides they need to aim higher and continue to shoot for upside.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Interesting. That a sign of NHL finances in general scaling back?
I can't imagine the draft as a "show" even comes remotely close to covering the expenses involved, for the league or for teams. The tickets sold by teams are usually either free or dirt cheap, just to get people in the door and buying concessions. As a TV event, it's a diehard subset of an already borderline niche sport. Even the proposed plan feels too extravagant. The only real added value of doing it in person is for the prospects and their family. All the functional aspects of the draft could absolutely be handled remotely.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I can't imagine the draft as a "show" even comes remotely close to covering the expenses involved, for the league or for teams. The tickets sold by teams are usually either free or dirt cheap, just to get people in the door and buying concessions. As a TV event, it's a diehard subset of an already borderline niche sport. Even the proposed plan feels too extravagant. The only real added value of doing it in person is for the prospects and their family. All the functional aspects of the draft could absolutely be handled remotely.
But they have still done that through thick and thin. And done so even in lean times. I hear what you are saying but something still feels a bit off.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Won't the draft still be a "show"? I thought the new proposal was the NFL model, where the teams won't travel to the draft, but the prospects and commish still will?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
But they have still done that through thick and thin. And done so even in lean times. I hear what you are saying but something still feels a bit off.
Like every other industry, I'm guessing doing things remotely during the pandemic may be influencing their thinking.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

giphy.webp

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
EliteProspect's initial rankings. Lindstrom way up at 4. I do think there's some poor man's Couturier in his game but that's a lofty ranking nonetheless. Ritchie top 10 is a bit rich and Parascak still way too low for my liking. Tough to have him below Iginla, for instance. Hemming also seems low.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
EliteProspect's initial rankings. Lindstrom way up at 4. I do think there's some poor man's Couturier in his game but that's a lofty ranking nonetheless. Ritchie top 10 is a bit rich and Parascak still way too low for my liking. Tough to have him below Iginla, for instance. Hemming also seems low.
kiviharju at 21 is absolutely bonkers

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
kiviharju at 21 is absolutely bonkers
He's out long-term and hadn't exactly crushed it in limited action. I actually have him slightly lower, in part due to his size. I'm not sure there's a great deal that separating him from Hutson, for instance, and someone like Mews may be a bit safer. I don't doubt he ends up being a late first rounder, maybe even early second if he happens to struggle upon return.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Slafkovsky, by a few different NHLe metrics, was a late first/second round kind of player. And I doubt the rationale given by the Montreal brass is all that different than how a lot of other teams think about the draft and make decisions.

And people wonder why I still think numbers beat the professionals!

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Wheeler top 64. Jiricek, Connelly, Parascak & Gridin too low for me and Parekh & Kiviharju a bit high. Still a long way to go but I'm not sure how fierce the competition will be in the mid-first and thereafter. Not a long list of highly intriguing talents IMO. Part of it's just trying to be realistic about the sort of impact potential a team like Washington needs in order for them to take a pronounced step forward. In this draft I think they're going to want to be in the top 10/12 to have much confidence that they'll net a potential impact player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad