GDT: 2024 NHL Draft (June 28 - June 29, Las Vegas Sphere)

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
2 Finns in the top-10. That leaves 8 players as potential Capitals 1st round picks. Keeping a close eye on Berkly Catton, even though this seems like a good year to start rebuilding the D..

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
2 Finns in the top-10. That leaves 8 players as potential Capitals 1st round picks. Keeping a close eye on Berkly Catton, even though this seems like a good year to start rebuilding the D..
At some point the Caps aversion to not drafting Finns will shatter.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Caps are getting a great pick this year without a doubt.
1694800800788.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Calicaps

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I'm higher on the top tier forwards than defenders early on. They're a bit more polished. Not just the top three but Catton was also pretty phenomenal for Canada at the Hlinka whenever they needed him to be. Add in Helenius and perhaps Connelly and I'm more sold on the top forwards early on as more readymade potential stars. Jiricek was quite good at the Hlinka but I don't know about his PPQB upside. Dickinson was underwhelming shift-to-shift. Silayev coming out of nowhere based on a few early season games against men shows how soft assessments are at this stage. The top 11 on McKenzie's list seems like a bit of a tier separation early on.

We'll see who puts it all together over the course of the season. I do think they should ideally pick a center or defenseman, shooting for foundational type upside. BPA always but I wonder about the viability of being boosted back into the top half of the league largely via wingers. It could enable them to spend elsewhere but then I also wonder if committing to post-peak C/D is the ticket either. Acquiring play drivers from the premium positions seems like a really big deal in how they'll manage to more fully become a more refreshed team again. Unfortunately early on after Celebrini & Catton the center crop doesn't seem terribly promising. Again, it's early, but more in the mid-range the options seem to be value wingers and then a few promising blueliners.

I'd think this season realistically has more downside than upside competitively. I have faith in Carbery making it work but to what extent this core group is still up for being defensively stout is a big question. Not just the standard set by the core group but also the makeup of the blueline overall minus Orlov and whether some will step up and handle more challenging roles. There probably won't be many outlets penciling them into the playoffs. Picking somewhere in the 11-18 range seems fair, maybe higher if injuries are an issue again.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Definitely the easy pick to pick them to struggle…..and I agree….they need to draft with a new core in mind.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Really needs to fill out but fun player. Will be interesting how he fares against men this year.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Couple of right shot wings off to hot starts: Emil Hemming and Terik Parascak. Parascak currently leading the Dub in points and goals (8G in 4 games, next most is 4).

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
I watched Kelowna play Prince George to get more looks on Cristall. Well, that was a poor game all around for them, lost 8-1. Really impressed by Terik Parascak though, he had 2 more goals and had a really nice assist short-handed.

In other 2024 Draft-related news: Aron Kiviharju suffered an injury during practise that requires surgery. Out for 4 months which is just tough for him. He was already sliding and another long-term injury is going to keep that trend going.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I see PG has a Hunter Laing that's draft-eligible. Big boy at 6'6'' (yes, it is Quintin's kid).

EHCler

May 9, 2003
Visit site
Anton Silayev all the way. Would he be Canadian there would be one hell of a hype.
He has number one D written all over him.

As a Caps fan we can at least hype Russians.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

(Working link.)

Cosentino's takes are pretty generic but another list nonetheless. Parascak should be way higher. His hands/IQ are legit. Small sample but if it boosts Silayev it should boost him also. I think it opens up after 8. Helenius, Connelly and Hemming should also be higher. Overall the makings for a strong top 5/6 and then another group of 10-12.

Previously I've been intrigued by Parekh but I'm not sure I'd go defense unless it's one of the first four. Many of the secondary forwards seem to have a stronger blend of work ethic and ceiling. But a long way to go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad