2024 NHL Draft Thread - Upd: Draft Lottery is May 7th

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
Since when have "passive coaster" not been your type?!?
IMG_8317.gif

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Fun little pointless hypothetical but I think I'd take Fantilli and Celebrini. Celebrini is probably a franchise centre with 100+ point upside and Fantilli I can easily see becoming a powerful, fast, physical PPG+ centre (on pace for almost 50 points as a rookie and second in ppg for forwards o his team is nothing to sneeze at)

You dont need an Art Ross candidate to win a Cup (Celebrini could get there in his prime). Certainly Bedard is leagues ahead of Fantilli right now, but frankly Fantilli has upside to be a match up centreman that I just dont see in Bedard and with Celebrini on board that would probably more than make up for that lost ground over whoever we pick at 4th. Pushes Nazar, Moore over to the wing for good where the lack of size wouldn't be as much of an issue and frees up responsibility for them to attack with that raw speed.

Team just feels like it would be more balanced with Celebrini and Fantilli. Clearly I'm not currently a huge fan of the idea of running Bedard + Nazar down the middle and also not a huge believer in Lindstrom's potential compared to Fantilli/Celebrini

x - Celebrini - Nazar
Moore - Fantilli - x

I am VERY happy with Bedard don't get me wrong. Just think that this outcome probably wouldve been just a little more optimal

Last edited:

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I've asked this before, but I'll ask it again since people keep bringing up Fantilli. If the Hawks win the #1 pick again and you can trade with Columbus... Celebrini for Fantilli, would you do it?

Donaghey did think very, very highly of Fantilli (called him a generational talent along with Bedard) so I wonder what he thinks of Celebrini.

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
I've asked this before, but I'll ask it again since people keep bringing up Fantilli. If the Hawks win the #1 pick again and you can trade with Columbus... Celebrini for Fantilli, would you do it?

Donaghey did think very, very highly of Fantilli (called him a generational talent along with Bedard) so I wonder what he thinks of Celebrini.
Might just be risk aversion on my part but without knowing how Fantilli's injury could affect his skating (calf lacerations can be pretty bad, no?) I wouldn't do it. Extra ELC year for Celebrini too.

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019

Not a chance. I like Celebrini quite a bit more than Fantilli.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017

Celebrini for sure. He looks like a franchise center-man. Those guys win you ships.

On a side note, the u18's are today and USA looks good off the rip. Take a look at these players because they very well could be our draft choices in the 2nd round. Kamil Bednarek, Teddy Stiga, Ej Emery, Will Skahan, and Cole Hutson particularly

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018

I don't see the point in doing that.

Fantilli might produce more, and he's more physically imposing, but Celebrini is better defensively.

We already have a generational scorer in Bedard so I'll keep the guy that might win a Selke in his prime.

Reactions: HawksDub89

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas

I still believe that the Hawks should consider drafting a netminder in this year's draft. I understand that they just invested a premium pick into Gajan, but why not take a swing on someone in the 5th or 6th? For a team in the past who had a pretty lethargic pipeline, I want them to finally have a solid group of prospects so why not take a swing. Let's be like Carolina or Philly, who have continually invested into the net, especially with European prospects.

Pavel Moysevich, a 19 year old 6'5" netminder for SKA St. Petersburg, is one I'm keeping an eye on. Despite being in a crowded room with Nikita Serebryakov, Artemi Pleshkov, and Blue Jackets prospect Sergei Ivanov, he has put up some really solid numbers in the KHL and VHL. Contract doesn't expire until 26-27 so he can still continue developing in Russia

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
There's what like 6 Russian goaltenders in the postseason, all amongst the top 10-12 in goaltender wins over the last couple years. Goaltending is hard to project as is. There seems to be a good goaltender pipeline out of Russia (some more potentially on the way between Kochetkov and Askarov) and with how much of a mess goaltender development has gotten in North America... a late dart throw pick at a Russian goaltender where you hold their rights forever if they stay in Russia, doesn't seem too bad.

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
Just thought I'd get this started since I didn't see one

5. Chicago: Michael Brandsegg-Nygard, RW, Mora-Allsvenskan

Brandsegg-Nygard looks to be one of Norway’s brightest hockey prospects in recent memory. He had a great season playing junior and pro hockey in Sweden and helped lead Norway’s U20 team to promotion to the world juniors. He’s a good-sized winger who can skate, has very good individual skill and hockey sense, and a shot that is quite dangerous from the faceoff dots.

23. Chicago (via Tampa Bay Lightning): Anthony Cristoforo, RHD, Windsor-OHL

Cristoforo is a very talented defenseman who scored 40 points as a rookie in the OHL. He has excellent hands and vision to go with his strong skating ability. He makes a lot of plays and can do so with pace. The thing that will hold him back is his smaller frame and how well he’ll be able to defend in the NHL.
It’s funny to look back at this 9 months later. Brandsegg-Nygard is a likely top 15 pick. Meanwhile, it seems like Cristoforo has completely fallen, according to some rankings I’ve seen. It sounds like he’s a 5th-7th round prospect now

dreadpirateroberts

Nov 14, 2018
Seven Seas
There's what like 6 Russian goaltenders in the postseason, all amongst the top 10-12 in goaltender wins over the last couple years. Goaltending is hard to project as is. There seems to be a good goaltender pipeline out of Russia (some more potentially on the way between Kochetkov and Askarov) and with how much of a mess goaltender development has gotten in North America... a late dart throw pick at a Russian goaltender where you hold their rights forever if they stay in Russia, doesn't seem too bad.
1714061527975.png
This group needs a Russian or two in the pipeline lol

• Haha
Reactions: Pez68

giza

Jul 19, 2011
I like Gridin and if Tampa wins a bunch and the pick drops to the late 20's, then I think a kid with a terrific shot, good skating and a little bit of size (even if he infrequently uses it) is worth it with the first pick in the 2nd or late first, but not at 19 or 20 overall.

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
I like Gridin and if Tampa wins a bunch and the pick drops to the late 20's, then I think a kid with a terrific shot, good skating and a little bit of size (even if he infrequently uses it) is worth it with the first pick in the 2nd or late first, but not at 19 or 20 overall.
Great shot and a smooth skater. But, not much of a back check on the kid and limited in his own end. He should round out his game at Michigan though and could be a solid late first or early second

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
Nothing like using a draft lottery to boost 2nd round playoff ratings. They should have this over and done with before the playoffs even start.

• Haha
Reactions: Pez68

Northernhawk

Feb 22, 2020
Kind of a dumb exercise because I know it won't happen, but I just did one of the mock drafts from draftprospectshockey.com and ended up getting;

4 Ivan Demidov
20 Carter Yakemchuk
30 Michael Hage (traded up from 54)
34 Yegor Surin
138 Colin Ralph
163 Miroslav Satan
How about drafting the two Medicine Hat boys in round one?

Cayden Lindstrom and Adam Basha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad