2024 NHL Draft Thread - Upd: Draft Lottery is May 7th

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
If Lindstrom is available, assuming they don’t win the lottery, I don’t see how they don’t pick him. He’s got one attribute you can’t teach and every team covets. 6’4” since Demidov’s injury doesn’t matter neither does Lindstrom’s. Both came back during the season. Sure, Lindstrom was out longer but teams are more cautious with back injuries. Since Musto seems to know tons of prospects I’d like to ask him a question. I know it’s incredibly early but are there any guys similar to Lindstrom size and skill wise who are expected to go early in the 2025 draft?
That's outside my wheelhouse because I usually don't bother scouting ahead to future drafts. I find the information becomes irrelevant very quickly since prospects become good or bad in a short amount of time at that age. You always want the most recent information you can get.

So while I couldn't tell you about 2025, it's not often you get players like Lindstrom. Just look at the NHL right now. 6'4" high skill forward? You might have the next Mikko Rantanen on your hands.

But I'm totally in the dark regarding his injury. The Blackhawks will have to do their due diligence. Which they will, obviously.

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
I can’t speak for skill set, but Scott Powers has two 6’3”+ prospects in his top 28 2025 list. There are a few 6’2” guys in there as well. All have a chance to continue growing

6. Porter Martone, RW, 6’3”
7. Roger McQueen, C, 6’5”
Both of those guys are studs. Martone would be an amazing addition to the skill set that the Hawks already have drafted. He plays like Schefiele

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
I've gotten Iginla twice in draft sims with the TB pick.

Never gonna happen in real life, but we can dream.

I mean, there wasn't supposed to be any chance Moore dropped to us last year...

Calgary fans would riot if they passed on Jerome's son. Big difference there in regards to bloodline.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
If Lindstrom is available, assuming they don’t win the lottery, I don’t see how they don’t pick him. He’s got one attribute you can’t teach and every team covets. 6’4” since Demidov’s injury doesn’t matter neither does Lindstrom’s. Both came back during the season. Sure, Lindstrom was out longer but teams are more cautious with back injuries. Since Musto seems to know tons of prospects I’d like to ask him a question. I know it’s incredibly early but are there any guys similar to Lindstrom size and skill wise who are expected to go early in the 2025 draft?
I love what I've seen of both guys but I think the difference is that Demidov has a much larger sample of games played since his injury where you're pretty confident he's back at his previous level. Lindstrom played four games and there was talk that he had a flare up that almost kept him out of MH's last game, and he's sitting out the U18s. Plus Demidov has a better track record in previous years, you're basically drafting Lindstrom based on ~40 games of excellence

CapitalistInfidel

Jan 7, 2013
I love what I've seen of both guys but I think the difference is that Demidov has a much larger sample of games played since his injury where you're pretty confident he's back at his previous level. Lindstrom played four games and there was talk that he had a flare up that almost kept him out of MH's last game, and he's sitting out the U18s. Plus Demidov has a better track record in previous years, you're basically drafting Lindstrom based on ~40 games of excellence
With having an extra 1st rounder this year and two 1st rounders next season I’d be more than happy to take him at picks 2-4. Like I said, you can’t teach 6’4” and the enormous development he showed in those 40 games was incredible. As long as he’s healthy it’s damn near malpractice if he’s not selected. I do like Demidov and I’d be happy to take him if Lindstrom is not available but we have enough sub 6 footers on this team. Bedard, Nazar, Moore, Kantserov, and Lardis. How many forwards do we have in the pipeline who are 6’2” or taller? . I don’t think Dach or Misiak are top 6 players

Reactions: Muffinalt

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
With having an extra 1st rounder this year and two 1st rounders next season I’d be more than happy to take him at picks 2-4. Like I said, you can’t teach 6’4” and the enormous development he showed in those 40 games was incredible. As long as he’s healthy it’s damn near malpractice if he’s not selected. I do like Demidov and I’d be happy to take him if Lindstrom is not available but we have enough sub 6 footers on this team. Bedard, Nazar, Moore, Kantserov, and Lardis. How many forwards do we have in the pipeline who are 6’2” or taller? . I don’t think Dach or Misiak are top 6 players
Gavin Hayes. Watch for him, I think his ceiling is higher than we initially thought.

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
I hear you and i would still like the pick, but the back injury is absolutely a factor for me to an extent Demidov's knee isn't at this stage.

Also just now seeing that Demidov left his game hurt today, because of course. Hopefully not serious

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
Yeah we certainly don't want Eric Daze 2.0
Trusting our scouting will get the goods on Lindstrom and make the right call.
Of course getting that fortuitous ball will remove any guesswork.

That's exactly what worries me with Lindstrom having back issues.

Reactions: Pez68

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
I can’t speak for skill set, but Scott Wheeler has two 6’3”+ prospects in his top 28 2025 list. There are a few 6’2” guys in there as well. All have a chance to continue growing

6. Porter Martone, RW, 6’3”
7. Roger McQueen, C, 6’5”
A lot of big boys next year. Malcolm Spence, Bill Zonnon, and Wosniak are all bigger guys. Bill Zonnon is incredibly strong for how thin he is, but his skating is pretty meh. I hope the Hawks draft in the 5-10 range. This season was a little too depressing for my taste

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
A back injury, and other lingering ones, is of real concern. And you don't roll the dice with our 1-4 pick. You can with the Tampa but we must hit on that first one.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
I'm not 100% sure on this , it appears the Tampa Bay pick will stay at #20 (if they lose in 1st rd and a team with less points doesn't advance) ? And the 2nd rders from Vancouver and Los Angles cannot change now (are they locked in ) ? Thanks

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
I
I'm not 100% sure on this , it appears the Tampa Bay pick will stay at #20 (if they lose in 1st rd and a team with less points doesn't advance) ? And the 2nd rders from Vancouver and Los Angles cannot change now (are they locked in ) ? Thanks
I like the odds of that Tampa pick ending up at #19. I don't see the Bolt's coming back from down 2 to Florida much less getting by the winner of Boston/Toronto in they somehow survive a long series comeback with Florida. That locks in #20 at worst. I like the chances of Vegas making it to the Western Conference Finals to bump that Tampa pick down to #19.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
tampa moved up in every round it looks like. and vegas drafted last in every round so the LA and vancouver picks could move up slighly as well. Demko out I do not see VAN moving on and EDM looks very strong over LA. if vegas moves into ECF we move down 1 for both tampa and LA, then if ED or Nash make WCF we move down one more and then if the winner of Boston/TOR beats FL we could move up a total of 3 for Vancouver. there is also a compenstory pick that moves VAN and LA back 1. 19 or 20 for tampa. 57-60 for Vancouver and LA 53-54 for LA. thats assuming none of those 3 move on to CONF finals

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
The answer may be obvious, but it’s much better to have Bedard and the fourth overall this year vs having fantilli and celebrini right?
probably close. fantilli is higher rated then the #4 pick this and bedard is rated higher then Celebrini. so its close. IMO. in fairness I take celebrini and fantilli over Bedard and Cayden. mostly because the downside of fantilli was still pretty high.

EddieTheEagle

Sep 17, 2006
probably close. fantilli is higher rated then the #4 pick this and bedard is rated higher then Celebrini. so its close. IMO. in fairness I take celebrini and fantilli over Bedard and Cayden. mostly because the downside of fantilli was still pretty high.
I'll take the upside of Connor Bedard every time. Not even concerned about 4th overall.

I watched Jackets' games this season and what Bedard can do in terms of controlling play and making something out of nothing, is far ahead of where Fantilli is now, and I think will only grow as he is surrounded by actual NHL talent.

Celibrini and Fantilli would be a hell of a pair to build on but I just can't ignore the weight of Bedard's abilities in comparison.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
I think you take Celebrini and Fantilli over any non-Celebrini pick and Bedard. There is a pretty sizeable gap between Fantilli and and prospect not named Celebrini in this draft. Celebrini and Fantilli give you a reasonable expectation of 2 top of the lineup star players where you are hoping whatever the top pick this draft ends up being get there too, but far less certain. No guarantee how any of these guys develop/injuries/etc so we'll take whatever we get with Bedard and hope for the best with this draft.

Reactions: ello

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The answer may be obvious, but it’s much better to have Bedard and the fourth overall this year vs having fantilli and celebrini right?
I'd go Bedard and 4th, I think Bedard's still a bit of a level beyond the other two and 4th will get you a good prospect. I have a few reservations with Fantilli, which could prove dumb on my end, about him being a bit lacking in processing and being over-reliant on physical.

Reactions: EddieTheEagle

ChicagoHockeyFan

Mar 3, 2019
Don’t think Gridin fits what hawks would be looking for at 20 but just watched some of his games towards the end of the season and he looked great

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Don’t think Gridin fits what hawks would be looking for at 20 but just watched some of his games towards the end of the season and he looked great
Wouldn't touch him in the 1st round.

He's a passive coaster type.

Great production this year, but I don't know how his playstyle will fly at the next level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad