2024 NHL Draft Thread - Upd: Draft Lottery is May 7th

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Not that I disagree but I took a look back and the last solid NHLer who was picked at 20 was in 2017 (Robert Thomas), which was 7 years ago. Sale, Miro, Wallstedt, Mukh, Kupari, Heinola since then and there's some sold potential there but no one who's a contributing NHLer

Man this is going to take a while, even if we draft a solid player in that slot.
I agree with @TLEH, since pick 20 is such a small sample size, you'd want to look at players picked around there. I also think this draft class is above average at the 20 spot. Once you get to 25-50 range, it's fairly average.

Here are a few guys picked around there since 2015;

Joel Eriksson Ek #20 2015
Thomas Chabot #18 2015
Josh Norris #19 2017
Robert Thomas #20 2017
K'andre Miller #22 2018
Thomas Harley #18 2019
Dawson Mercer #18 2020
Yegor Chinakhov #21 2020
Jesper Wallstedt #20 2021
Fabian Lysell #21 2021 (doing well in the AHL)

Kind of early to determine if some of the 2020+ picks will turn-out, but if you consider the conditional variable that this draft has an above average 10-20, I like our odds.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
I agree with @TLEH, since pick 20 is such a small sample size, you'd want to look at players picked around there. I also think this draft class is above average at the 20 spot. Once you get to 25-50 range, it's fairly average.

Here are a few guys picked around there since 2015;

Joel Eriksson Ek #20 2015
Thomas Chabot #18 2015
Josh Norris #19 2017
Robert Thomas #20 2017
K'andre Miller #22 2018
Thomas Harley #18 2019
Dawson Mercer #18 2020
Yegor Chinakhov #21 2020
Jesper Wallstedt #20 2021
Fabian Lysell #21 2021 (doing well in the AHL)

Kind of early to determine if some of the 2020+ picks will turn-out, but if you consider the conditional variable that this draft has an above average 10-20, I like our odds.
Fair enough. My point was moreso that its going to take quite a while for the pick to make an impact, like 4+ years likely unless we hit the jackpot

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Fair enough. My point was moreso that its going to take quite a while for the pick to make an impact, like 4+ years likely unless we hit the jackpot
Yeah that's kind of how it goes. I really hope KD can put together some more pieces this summer. I hope we don't have to go through that many more seasons like the one we just had.

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
For sure that is how it goes. For every Bedard that is instant impact, you need a Vlassic that was a 2019 draft pick finally 4 years out make an NHL impact. Let's hope we get something remotely close to Bedard with our first pick (even if it is impact in a season and not necessarily immediate, but impact none the less).

The Tampa pick is highly unlikely to do anything in the NHL for 2-3 seasons. In the meantime, hopefully prior high picks '20 (Reichel, Commeso, Slagget, Kaiser), '21 (Allen, Dach, Del Mastro), '22 (Nazar, Korchinski, Rinzel, Ludwinski, Greene) start arriving (or blossoming into more) at the NHL level while we wait.

The trick will be can we keep plugging a couple of roster holes per season like Bedard and Vlassic did this year from somewhere internally be it our own pick at the top of the draft. Find a top 6 forward and top 4 D from our prospect pool next season and we'll really start to turn that corner. Do that 3 season in a row and UFA's will want to come play for a young fun team. Easier said than done, but we have the prospect pool and quantity of draft picks that a "quick" rebuild into playoff team in a couple more seasons is possible. Or we could be the Buffalo Sabres where we are perpetually rebuilding and never quite turn the corner.

Reactions: Muffinalt

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
this lottery is as important as the last one with regard to the timeline...the opportunity to insert a player like Celebrini into the lineup immediately next year is huge, Bedard was the first real blue chip piece added to the puzzle, how many they can surround him with will be what determines the ceiling and timeline of this rebuild, lets hope we get the Uncle Gary/Rooh special back to back years

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
this lottery is as important as the last one with regard to the timeline...the opportunity to insert a player like Celebrini into the lineup immediately next year is huge, Bedard was the first real blue chip piece added to the puzzle, how many they can surround him with will be what determines the ceiling and timeline of this rebuild, lets hope we get the Uncle Gary/Rooh special back to back years

I'm hopeful that the Hawks luck out and get 1st again, but I'm not overly confident.

Although, I wasn't confident in them jumping up from 3 to 1 last year either :naughty:

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I'm not advocating the Hawks draft Demidov because of the Russia factor - but I watched Demidov's SKA-1946 beat Loco 3-2 to tie up the MHL Finals series 1-1. Demidov had 2 really nice primary assists.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Vlasic Levshunov
Korchinski Jones
*EDM Kaiser and Rinzel as backup plans for anyone above game going to shit

is so filthy in my head I can’t shake it. Granted I am a Seth Jones believer and I’m imagining Korch in his final form.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Utah doesn’t get 1st OVR this year, right? They’re the relocated Coyotes but still a technically new team.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Utah doesn’t get 1st OVR this year, right? They’re the relocated Coyotes but still a technically new team.
They get the Arizona Coyote's picks.

Their 1st round pick is currently sitting at 6th overall.

If they win the lottery, Celebrini is property of Utah.

dj Mahoney

Apr 11, 2021
Hoping Doneghey and Co have beaten the bushes !! With the Tampa pick it seems to be just a little high to really get a prime time winger . I'd go for Andrew Basha LW (maybe the fastest skater in this draft).

Last edited:

ello

Jun 12, 2018
Ugh Connelly the player would be the perfect fit for our top 6

6'1, dual scoring threat with high end tools, speed to burn. I see lots of Kyle Connor

Shame about his character. You'd like to imagine that perhaps he's been to therapy/gained new perspectives, and matured in general but the Hawks certainly aren't taking any chances with him

MicronMega

Jan 31, 2022
Toronto, NY
Ugh Connelly the player would be the perfect fit for our top 6

6'1, dual scoring threat with high end tools, speed to burn. I see lots of Kyle Connor

Shame about his character. You'd like to imagine that perhaps he's been to therapy/gained new perspectives, and matured in general but the Hawks certainly aren't taking any chances with him
Team USA added him to the roster for World Championships. If he is getting added to the roster instead of left off, it goes to show that the character issues are a thing of the past. Take him if he is there with the TB pick. He is going to be a stud in the NHL and a perfect fit for the next wave of high-speed Hawks.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Whether they’re a thing of the past or not, there’s no criminal conduct, he’s going to go wherever his talent warrants him going. Not a Miller situation. Not even a Mailloux situation who ended up going late first when he asked not to be drafted and many people thought was a mid-2nd prior to it all becoming a story.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad