2024 NHL Draft Thread - Upd: Draft Lottery is May 7th

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Pronman is so lame hecdiesn't realize Hagecisxa Center and Ravell is a Raw
..itbis impossible to conare styles with the different roles of the positions..

You could make a general style comp ..ie.skilked speedy players or eternal 2cpowercforwards..but I just do motcsee ANY comp between Hagexand Ravello except for height and weight which is about the same..If the comp was expected NHL points maybe Pronman does not think Hage will do much better than RaKell in his (Rakell "s peak seasons (= 60-70 points) ...howver Hage had a very very good 2ndchalf after a rough start...other recent opinions see Hage as a big riser and potential steal vs where Pronman sees him getting drafted (late first to 2nd round)..but other opinions think he is goid value late ternscearly 20s...so I think Pronman is both off on the comp if it refers to style and mat be way off as to tier and way wayvoff as to ceiling for Hage vs. What Rakell achieved i his brst seasons to date.

Pronmam is one opinion...other value differently or see the potential differently.

I know that IF Hawks do not land Celebrini or Lindstrom =tge 2 prize Centers,then with the TB pick I woukd be very hapoy if KD took Hage so tgat we come out of this draft with at least 1 first round prospect for the eventual 2C compliment to Bedard..I just cannot see us wining Cups with 2 very smalk centers I Bedard and Nazar if they are 1C and 2C. I just think that is too small..

Nazar actually can win draws...so if Bedard does not improve you could have Bedard on the wing wing..

If you pkay Nazar and Bedard on the same line then the other winger has got to be a Hossa clone for 2cway play to bail out the 2 shrimps or clear paths for them ,or ensure tgey are not playong so long in the d-zone...win the board and puck battles that tgecshrimos cannot...etc.

Or if Bedard and Nazar are both wings on the same line then you better have a 1C with sone size and a 200ft game to do the heavy lifting for them.

If Bedardxand Nazar on different lines abd one of them is on the wing, then you need that other bigger center for that winger..
Anyway...if we get a C with our own first we fo not need another Center at the TB pick ..but if we do not getca Center earlier we DO need to draft the BCA (best Center prospect still on the board...to me that would be Hage fitting our needs..

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
@1=take Cekebrini
@2 take Lindstrom
@3 take Parekh unless Lindstrom still on the board
@4 take Lindstrom or Parekh if eitger or both still on the board...if they are both off the board take Demidov

This remains hiwcI would stategize...I just do not see Hawks winning a Cuo if Bedardxand Nazar give us 2 shrimp cebters..

Either tou NEED a 2C with 1C speed skill and brains playing 2C to give the ipos fits trying to decide who to check with their best shutdown checkers ..but Center with the not as good checkers on him then goes explosive offense ...so Chicaho ecstatic if got Celebrini at#1..or so would SJ
..opps need to choose shutting down Bedard letting Celebrini go "freedom vice versa...same headache for opps if SJ gets him ...stop Will Smith or Celebrini? Puts opos in a hard place.
Nazar would move to Rw on Celebrini line.. and e freaked out more!

But if at #2 ,Celebrini off the board ..Hawjs NEED to grab Lindstrom...not the skilk level oftalent Celebrini brings...but gives Hawks more balance ...It id hRdser to check a Big strong Power Center..He can dominate physically.. Think Barkov..Oresents a different kind of head-ache for thevooos..He aksobwoukd create even more open space for his wingers (Nazar).

In othercwords both Celebrini and Lindstrom are clear 2C solutions with top of tge draft 1C talent but bringing differing aspects abd styles..
But both make Hawjs better ..deeper and harder to stop.

Itvis a no braiber ...sokvextgat 2C issue
Nazar is good and can we draws..but we Cannot havec2 shrimps manning 1C a day 2C..

Nazar will have to play wing .

However if both off the board beforexwe puck,then gotta look at the RDmen issue...nobody we have i rhe system looks like a franchise 1D of alk-star tip end ability.

If Oarekh still when we pick and no chance for The Center solution if both targets off before #3, then we NERD to grab the BRD ...best Right Dman and to me that is O
Parekh over Levshunov.
PRONMAN is crazy Oarekh is not Kolingber ..but a bigger QuinnHughes..that kind of 90 piibts + guy..a Dominant offebsive Dman who got better defending as he aged into the NHL ...Hughes started out -39 first 2 NHL seasons then turned it around and after a few more seasons ibsnow +39...to me Parekh much better than Hughes was defensively at the same Ge ,is 2 inches talker and is a much better goal scorer than Hughes ever was..We are taking historic OHL numbers for this kid...electric shot which is not a long range bomb from the bluekine ,bit he gets to clear space to fire intermediate range writers that beat goalies so OFTEN..

SoI think Pronman has hom wrongly tiered.

He is tier 1 in my estimation...tge best dnan prospect I this draft for highest offensive output and highest goals for a dman..but also he has vastly improved drfensiveky and also ig Quinn Hughes can get better defensively with age and experience so too can Parekh.

But still as much as Hawks need this kind of talent as a #1D and especially a rightvshot RD line this level ,we do have tge $9.5 cuurent 1D problem..

And so Hawks know they are stick with a guy who never reached hos potential...makes too many errors or us too inconsistent between good and bad games ..

But due to the contract,by default he is our 1D and eve if we drafts Parekh he would be playing 2 RD ..good for him as teams would try to pressure Jones into mistakes,leaving Parekh more free to play lesser talents as "only" a 2 RD

So again Oarekh firs hawjs needs to a T .

Not immediately...as we learned with Kk you do notceant to rush18 or 19 year old dmen..butvon the other hand..what is left to prove in Juniosxwhen you score 93 points.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
I would like to think along these lines:

1. Swap #2 and the Ottawa 3rd round pick for #3 and Anaheim's first 2nd round pick
2. At #3, select Lindstrom.
3. With the Tampa 1st round pick, select Charlie Elick
4. With Chicago's first 2nd round pick select Matvei Gridin
5. With Anaheim's 2nd round pick from the swap, select Alfrons Freij
6. With the last 2nd round pick, select Melvin Fernstrom

So let it be written, so let it be done

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
I'm not going anywhere near 18 year olds who already have back/hip problems. So that's a hard no to Lindstrom and Catton.
I am 100% with ya. That pick would solely be a size pick. Risk is too huge to swing and miss at that position in the draft.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Kurashev saves tge day...TB pick secured at #29 pre-lotto...had Kurashev's bone head over the boards moment not happened Hawkscprobablyvclisevout with 4-3 win..instead they score onPp and extra man goakievpulked and then win inOT..So PK in essence snatched thev#30 from the disaster that nightvhacecbeen#21..

Desperate measures called for when Vegas betrayed us by losing to Ducks ...Has they won we would now be draftibg at #19 pre-lotto with that TB pick..
So quick thinking by Kurashev to pull a bone head puck over boards to give L.za. chancecto tie then win in OT...so that at least we got thec20th pick instead of 21st pick (pre-lotto).

This "victory" may not be much ...but any kind of victory we must be grateful for..

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
A bit disappointed. I thought we were guaranteed no worse than 19th if we lost tonight (outside of an unlikely Bolts playoff run), come to find out that a Vegas loss bumps us back to 20.

Guess I'm cheering on the Knights in the playoffs. Be like last year where we moved from 20th overall to 19th, and also move up to 1st overall. No complaints if our two picks are the exact same as last year.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
A bit disappointed. I thought we were guaranteed no worse than 19th if we lost tonight (outside of an unlikely Bolts playoff run), come to find out that a Vegas loss bumps us back to 20.

Guess I'm cheering on the Knights in the playoffs. Be like last year where we moved from 20th overall to 19th, and also move up to 1st overall. No complaints if our two picks are the exact same as last year.
If any of Vegas/Islanders/Capitals get to the conference finals and Tampa doesn't, it'd bump the Tampa pick to 19 (other two are definitely longshots)

CanadianHawks

Feb 23, 2018
Expect Iginla to make a push towards the top five. He won’t make it past Habs. Heard they are enamoured with him

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
So pick 20 is Tampa slot right now, 2, 20 34 53 59 66 71.
Are the 2nd+ round picks locked in place? I know 34 is, but will the playoffs affect picks 53 and 59? I've asked this every year and still don't remember lol

Huge difference between pick 19 and 20.

We will get a good player at 20 and even 34. We have 3 high quality picks. We just need management to hit on them

bwanajamba

Apr 18, 2019
Are the 2nd+ round picks locked in place? I know 34 is, but will the playoffs affect picks 53 and 59? I've asked this every year and still don't remember lol

We will get a good player at 20 and even 34. We have 3 high quality picks. We just need management to hit on them
Yep conference finalists pick at the bottom of every round. So those picks are still in flux until the original owners are eliminated

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
it looks like tampa last years picks were 19 and 51 so they look like they move. and FL picked 31 and 63. so it looks like 2nd rounders move as well. So if Vegas can make WCF we would move up tampa and FL does not. both those picks would move up 1. So we are routing Against tampa, FL and VAN. so Vegas NYI and WASH would all move our TB 1st up and LA 2nd up. nash, ed, col, Boston Tor would move up our vancouver 2nd, up. at least now it gives me something to route for.

ello

Jun 12, 2018

Not that I disagree but I took a look back and the last solid NHLer who was picked at 20 was in 2017 (Robert Thomas), which was 7 years ago. Sale, Miro, Wallstedt, Mukh, Kupari, Heinola since then and there's some sold potential there but no one who's a contributing NHLer

Man this is going to take a while, even if we draft a solid player in that slot.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Not that I disagree but I took a look back and the last solid NHLer who was picked at 20 was in 2017 (Robert Thomas), which was 7 years ago. Sale, Miro, Wallstedt, Mukh, Kupari, Heinola since then and there's some sold potential there but no one who's a contributing NHLer

Man this is going to take a while, even if we draft a solid player in that slot.
You shouldn't really be specific about pick 20. You should do first round pick >= 20. Wyatt Johnson was pick 23. Kulich, Lambert both after pick 20 in 2022. There is opportunity to get a good player.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
is it crazy to say that if the Hawks don't get Celebrini they should take the defenseman from Denver, just keep stacking high end defense and move one for a forward down the road if needed...or is there no real russian risk with Demidov to justify passing up on him if they end up at #2

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Generally (unless a very high pick) you gotta expect to wait until players are like 22-23 until where they are both established on the roster and making a big impact if they were a successful pick which is not a guarantee. That's like the 2019 and 2020 drafts heading into next year. Rebuilds are not for the feint of heart. That's why so many teams just avoid them and will keep just doing their chance to finish as good as they had while not totally selling out and just hoping some of their picks can make it through.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs

Cat was taken 39th in the early second round. Players sometimes fall. Teams go off the board. There are almost always solid NHLers to be had in the late first, and early second.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Cat was taken 39th in the early second round. Players sometimes fall. Teams go off the board. There are almost always solid NHLers to be had in the late first, and early second.
Pasta was late 1st, Aho was in the 2nd...its once you start to get beyond the 2nd that things probably fall off steeply...realistically you're trying to get half your roster from the draft during your rebuild period depending on where you're picking, maybe a few guys per draft. still need the pro scouting department to be on point and the gm to manage the cap well and win some trades

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad