2024 NHL Draft Thread (CBJ to pick 4th)

Predict CBJ's draft position

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
the pining is because people want the team to be bigger and meaner. but that doesn't happen by drafting an 18-year-old who puck-watches in his own zone.

the more I think about it, the more I'm drawn to helenius. so much of his profile reminds me of sebastian aho. plays a highly intelligent, super-refined game, extremely good compete level, has thrived in all three zones against grown men.
IMO, hockey sense is the most important trait to find, especially this high in the draft. I usually hate taking guys for tools or size. If Buium’s best trait is his hockey sense and he’s a strong skater, it’s hard for me to pass on a guy like that. And he has size. Levshunov sounds similar but I need to read more on him.

That said I don’t know anything about Lindstrom in this regard.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
the pining is because people want the team to be bigger and meaner. but that doesn't happen by drafting an 18-year-old who puck-watches in his own zone.

the more I think about it, the more I'm drawn to helenius. so much of his profile reminds me of sebastian aho. crafty, intelligent, competitive player who can play all situations. I'm less convinced lindstrom turns out as a center or as a plus-level defensive player.
He shares deficiencies many teenagers do. You are not drafting a completed player and most of his issues are coachable. Fantilli often is lost defensively at the pro level and I dont think anyone thought twice about taking him

Reactions: GoJackets1

OldGoaltender

Jul 17, 2006
The Triad NC
No way I want to move down, we are prospect heavy right now and more picks to could result is more JAG's. If there's a prospect they think has top two line potential draft him and let him develop.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
*obligatory "I'm no scout" caveat here*

I'm in agreement with the couple of posters who say Helenius is intriguing. The other guy I find interesting, and it would be considered a reach absent a trade-down, is Tij Iginla.

It's going to be hard to pass on Levshunov if he's there.

Reactions: squashmaple

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Iginla is a  safe pick. He will be a staple for years to come. Nobody will be sorry if they reach a bit on him. You might pass on a good player but I dont think you'd ever be sorry for the pick. But ultimately...Im no GM or talent scout!

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
He shares deficiencies many teenagers do. You are not drafting a completed player and most of his issues are coachable. Fantilli often is lost defensively at the pro level and I dont think anyone thought twice about taking him
sure, but fantilli has elite elements that lindstrom doesn't (hands, skating) and was a strong defensive player in college.

lindstrom struggles defensively in junior and can simply steamroll his opponents since he's so much bigger/stronger than teenagers. that gets neutralized in the NHL. he's going to have a steep learning curve.

he's a talented kid, no doubt, but i'm not sold on him as a game-breaker. i think he ends up on the wing and, if all breaks right, becomes a chris kreider type. which is good! but, if they want a forward, i'd rather shoot for a sebastian aho type – someone who is smaller but plays a highly detailed, competitive game and differentiates with hockey IQ.

to me, that's helenius or catton.

*obligatory "I'm no scout" caveat here*

I'm in agreement with the couple of posters who say Helenius is intriguing. The other guy I find interesting, and it would be considered a reach absent a trade-down, is Tij Iginla.

It's going to be hard to pass on Levshunov if he's there.
if levshunov or demidov make it to #4 the new GM should sprint to the podium to take them imo.

otherwise, i think the move is to trade down with ottawa (7) or calgary (9). both have additional firsts this year, and there are some guys in the later half of the first round who have the traits folks like in lindstrom.

my dream outcome is trading with one of them, moving back a few spots, getting one of helenius/catton in the top 10, then picking a guy like egor surin, sacha boisvert or michael hage in the late first.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I think you have to draft center this year .. that is unless you are 100% sold Sillinger is #2c….

Currently we have Mateychuk, Jiricek, Svozil knocking on the door for a spot . I think Mateychuk makes it next year , Jiricek is AHL again … But you also have Boquist who is 23 .

At center we have Fantilli.. Sillinger , and then Boone and Voronkov .. If you draft Lindstrom , you have Fantilli , Lindstrom , Sillinger down the middle .

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
IMO, hockey sense is the most important trait to find, especially this high in the draft. I usually hate taking guys for tools or size. If Buium’s best trait is his hockey sense and he’s a strong skater, it’s hard for me to pass on a guy like that. And he has size. Levshunov sounds similar but I need to read more on him.

That said I don’t know anything about Lindstrom in this regard.
This is why I'm leaning for Silayev, he has the size/tools AND the hockey sense. He's 17, playing a harder position at a younger age compared to guys like Marchenko and Voronkov who were struggling to get minutes in the KHL in their 20s(more so Marchenko than Voro)

He's going to spend 2 more years minimum in the KHL to finish developing and fill out a little longer.. Hell even if he spends 4 more years in the KHL, he'd only be 21-22...

I think you have to draft center this year .. that is unless you are 100% sold Sillinger is #2c….

Currently we have Mateychuk, Jiricek, Svozil knocking on the door for a spot . I think Mateychuk makes it next year , Jiricek is AHL again … But you also have Boquist who is 23 .

At center we have Fantilli.. Sillinger , and then Boone and Voronkov .. If you draft Lindstrom , you have Fantilli , Lindstrom , Sillinger down the middle .
Brindley plays center as well. Curious what the org thinks though

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
This is why I'm leaning for Silayev, he has the size/tools AND the hockey sense. He's 17, playing a harder position at a younger age compared to guys like Marchenko and Voronkov who were struggling to get minutes in the KHL in their 20s(more so Marchenko than Voro)

He's going to spend 2 more years minimum in the KHL to finish developing and fill out a little longer.. Hell even if he spends 4 more years in the KHL, he'd only be 21-22...

Brindley plays center as well. Curious what the org thinks though
So who’s your #2 center ? Do you feel confident 100% Sillinger grows into that role ?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
So who’s your #2 center ? Do you feel confident 100% Sillinger grows into that role ?
We have 1-3 years below any of these guys would be ready, plenty of time to see how Silly/Voronkov develop or to grabbed someone from FA or to make a trade. Hell for all we know a guy like Keskinen could pop and come over and solidify a spot before a 2024 pick is NHL ready...

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
It feels since forever since a team has traded down. Like a legitimate trade down, not one or two spots.

I don’t see us doing that

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
It feels since forever since a team has traded down. Like a legitimate trade down, not one or two spots.

I don’t see us doing that
Depends really where they go with in the gm position.

'Old school' gms like Jarmo dont really do it since they always have the one guy who they want. Then they'll go to the media with the classic 'We got our guy!' line.

Analytical new school gms love doing it when the computer says they'll gain value. It felt like Dubas traded down more often than not. So basically if the new gm is someone like Eric Tulsky, there's probably a greater chance for a trade down than ever before.

Reactions: squashmaple

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Depends really where they go with in the gm position.

'Old school' gms like Jarmo dont really do it since they always have the one guy who they want. Then they'll go to the media with the classic 'We got our guy!' line.

Analytical new school gms love doing it when the computer says they'll gain value. It felt like Dubas traded down more often than not. So basically if the new gm is someone like Eric Tulsky, there's probably a greater chance for a trade down than ever before.
Eh I feel like that's backwards, top picks used to get trade a lot more before the lockout. Whens the last time a top 5 pick was traded?

The players themselves get traded later of course, but young kids who can make an impact on an ELC are EXTREMELY VALUABLE. GMs don't want to give that up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad