2024 NHL Draft Thread Part 2 - Picks 2 & 18 in the 1st Round

Who do we take?

• Total voters

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I've been thinking something, if Demidov produced and kinda was at a level like Svechnikov, would people be satisfied with him?

• Love
Reactions: Malaka

BHawks77

Mar 22, 2023
I've been thinking something, if Demidov produced and kinda was at a level like Svechnikov, would people be satisfied with him?
Totally different players but if Demidov reached Svechnikov level as player I would be happy!!

Reactions: Malaka

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
I like having two .. it's like twins .. the're the same but different and then there's the more bang for your buck thing and who doesn't like that!

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Personally I am patiently waiting for Northernhawks breakdown of our picks in the 2062 draft. I need to know if our first rounder is currently projected to be higher than Mexico City and Dingle Berry Lake's first round picks
I hear Conor Bedard the III is as talented as his grandfather. 😃

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
So correct me but Vancouver ended up with the sixth best record in the league and if Edmonton wins this game, their draft slot would be in the bottom 4 which moved canucks down one so wouldn’t we have picked number 59 assuming Edmonton hold on?

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
So correct me but Vancouver ended up with the sixth best record in the league and if Edmonton wins this game, their draft slot would be in the bottom 4 which moved canucks down one so wouldn’t we have picked number 59 assuming Edmonton hold on?
since they won there division there spot was #4 and now its #5 or 61

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

Morning article from Wheeler about Lindstrom.
“His agent, Daren Hermiston, said “all indications are he’ll be fine” and that both Murray and the doctor, who is an NHL team physician, will indicate in their reports that “they feel Cayden will make a full recovery without requiring surgery.”

According to Hermiston, he’s back in the gym five days a week and on the ice three days a week.

On a phone call last week, Lindstrom told The Athletic that he’s “slowly getting there.”

“I’m not there quite yet but I’ll be there pretty soon I think,” he said.”

Doesn’t sound great.

• Wow
Reactions: Pez68

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills

Chuck Testa

Mar 27, 2017
There's not a snowball's chance in hell that I would take Lindstrom at 2nd overall.

Now maybe I'll be eating some crow for that statement and truthfully I do hope that the kid recovers and goes on to have a prosperous NHL career... I just don't think that the Hawks could afford to take the chance on him.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009

LavalPhantom

Sep 12, 2014
It has to be Demidov. Has to. We’ll live with the slim possibility of Russia being an issue or missing on a Lidstrom that might exceed the most optimistic projections if it happens. But the regrets of not taking the near consensus second best player with an unreal ceiling would hurt too much.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
It has to be Demidov. Has to. We’ll live with the slim possibility of Russia being an issue or missing on a Lidstrom that might exceed the most optimistic projections if it happens. But the regrets of not taking the near consensus second best player with an unreal ceiling would hurt too much.
Demidov doesn't have an "unreal ceiling".

You're getting someone that, best case scenario, turns into a Clayton Keller level player.

I get it. You're excited we have the 2nd overall pick. But it's not an exceptional draft class.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Demidov makes no sense ...Hawks pipeline is replete with smallish wingers...Nazar MooreKantserovLardsis...sure Mitchell of them will Starland be core on top 2 lines...but you cannotvhavexalk the same type of smaller skiljed forwatds

The logical pick at forwardvisxLindsyrom who is definitely a prototypical power element in thevtop 6...physical nasty plus a great shot and goalbscoreer..He has yo work on developing bettervplaymaking but any 6'4 216 lb Center whobsjatesxas fastcas him is a unicorn..He solves tgec2C issue..And these Big C dominating physical centers do not cone later in the draft.

On thevotger hand.. Levshunov is a ceiliing is #1D let alone a 1RD which is a need...because $9.5is not a 1D level...shoukd be 2nd pairing and later as hecages finally by age 33 orc34...

IF 3 more seasons from now Levshunov shows he is ready to take over the 1D pairing RightvD role ...you coukdvjave homand Vkasic as top pairing ..$9.5 may decide to waive his NMC in a trade Togo to a more certain contender forca Cup..

Howcer IF $9.5 stays as a first pair RD for the Hawks through 6 more seasons till his contractvends this blocks Levshunov from such a role...Andvyou do not pay hisc2nd contract as big bucks forvjustcax2nd oairingvroke..so he will be unhappy.

So thereviscaxsituatiobak risk takibg Levshunov.

It may make more sense to take Lindstrom in 2024 and to try tobfond more RD for a first pairing role in later drafts (2025 or2026) ...Notcsurevif 2025 has such RD
..8f not surely 2026 draft will..hardcto believe no #1potential RD over 2 consecutive drafts.

So if it is ME,I take Lindstrom and defer that RD needxNitger year two or three..fill behind $9.5with a 2nd pairing RD veteran ufa. As a stopgap till we can draft one.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
Demidov makes no sense ...Hawks pipeline is replete with smallish wingers...Nazar MooreKantserovLardsis...sure Mitchell of them will Starland be core on top 2 lines...but you cannotvhavexalk the same type of smaller skiljed forwatds

The logical pick at forwardvisxLindsyrom who is definitely a prototypical power element in thevtop 6...physical nasty plus a great shot and goalbscoreer..He has yo work on developing bettervplaymaking but any 6'4 216 lb Center whobsjatesxas fastcas him is a unicorn..He solves tgec2C issue..And these Big C dominating physical centers do not cone later in the draft.

On thevotger hand.. Levshunov is a ceiliing is #1D let alone a 1RD which is a need...because $9.5is not a 1D level...shoukd be 2nd pairing and later as hecages finally by age 33 orc34...

IF 3 more seasons from now Levshunov shows he is ready to take over the 1D pairing RightvD role ...you coukdvjave homand Vkasic as top pairing ..$9.5 may decide to waive his NMC in a trade Togo to a more certain contender forca Cup..

Howcer IF $9.5 stays as a first pair RD for the Hawks through 6 more seasons till his contractvends this blocks Levshunov from such a role...Andvyou do not pay hisc2nd contract as big bucks forvjustcax2nd oairingvroke..so he will be unhappy.

So thereviscaxsituatiobak risk takibg Levshunov.

It may make more sense to take Lindstrom in 2024 and to try tobfond more RD for a first pairing role in later drafts (2025 or2026) ...Notcsurevif 2025 has such RD
..8f not surely 2026 draft will..hardcto believe no #1potential RD over 2 consecutive drafts.

So if it is ME,I take Lindstrom and defer that RD needxNitger year two or three..fill behind $9.5with a 2nd pairing RD veteran ufa. As a stopgap till we can draft one.
I'm with you on the big center as i chose him too in our pool but the back issues have to be 100% certain that it will completely heal otherwise it's too much risk for this pick.
Here's hoping that KD and company will do their extreme due diligence and land us a core star going forward. I'm fine by the way with Demidov but he does have his questions too as do most all of the options for 2-10 range give or take. I also like Iginla as he as has been said has the dog in him and looks to be trending to be a guy with the it factor. Hey grab Joe too when his turn is up and we can have the Hull brothers all over again!

Reactions: BHawks77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad