Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Holy shit the Hertl trade made TheBeard a Sith Lord
Me to Thomas next time I see him…

1711555271193.gif

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Draft Emotional Preparation starts today. As of today on Tankathon:
  • "WORST" teams have a 31.5% chance of picking 1OA (CHI, ANA, PIT, BUF in that order)
  • "RANDO" teams have a 33.5% chance of 1OA (ARI, MON, SEA, CGY)
  • "BASKET CASE" has 17% (OTT, CBJ)
  • Sharks at 25.5%
I'll be cheering for Sharks+RANDO with a better-than-coin-flip 51.5% chance of 1OA but steeling myself for the 1 in 3 chance that a hated enemy or spoiled brat gets the 1OA. At least if Celebrini goes to a basket case, it's the East and probably they won't figure out how to stop sucking.

Magic # is now 15 points... 7 CHI wins OR SJ losses, plus one OTL from either team, and we clinch last place. Home stretch now. God willing we deliver a top 3 pick.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
  • "WORST" teams have a 31.5% chance of picking 1OA (CHI, ANA, PIT, BUF in that order)
  • Sharks at 25.5%
I'll be cheering for Sharks+RANDO with a better-than-coin-flip 51.5% chance of 1OA but steeling myself for the 1 in 3 chance that a hated enemy or spoiled brat gets the 1OA. At least if Celebrini goes to a basket case, it's the East and probably they won't figure out how to stop sucking.

Magic # is now 15 points... 7 CHI wins OR SJ losses, plus one OTL from either team, and we clinch last place. Home stretch now. God willing we deliver a top 3 pick.

If we don’t get him we can always hold on to “Rick wouldn’t let him play here anyway…”

Reactions: Shark Finn

dmcccdmn

Dec 10, 2005
UC Davis
  • Sharks at 25.5%

I know it would really suck if ANA or CHI lands the 1st overall pick as the rich get richer. But honestly they put themselves in the position to land these high-end picks 2 years in a row so they earned it. The only thing the Sharks can do is do the same so they can also land top 3 picks. It's their fault for winning 1 extra game last year to fall out of the top 3 picks, which were all the rage. The Will Smith pick from last year was a failure that might haunt him every time we face Carlsson or Fantilli.

Sharks fans keep wanting to win a few more games and couldn't care less about the lottery because these few extra wins help them endure the torture each year. Then when the draft comes, everyone is jealous of ANA and CHI getting top 3 picks. We can't have it both ways, winning games and getting top-3 talents. It's all or nothing, either winning the Cup or getting high-end picks. Being bad but not bad enough to get top 3 picks is the worst case scenario. Grier did well this year and put us in the position to tank correctly. Next step is dumping Couture. He has no business being on this team.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I know it would really suck if ANA or CHI lands the 1st overall pick as the rich get richer. But honestly they put themselves in the position to land these high-end picks 2 years in a row so they earned it. The only thing the Sharks can do is do the same so they can also land top 3 picks. It's their fault for winning 1 extra game last year to fall out of the top 3 picks, which were all the rage. The Will Smith pick from last year was a failure that might haunt him every time we face Carlsson or Fantilli.

Sharks fans keep wanting to win a few more games and couldn't care less about the lottery because these few extra wins help them endure the torture each year. Then when the draft comes, everyone is jealous of ANA and CHI getting top 3 picks. We can't have it both ways, winning games and getting top-3 talents. It's all or nothing, either winning the Cup or getting high-end picks. Being bad but not bad enough to get top 3 picks is the worst case scenario. Grier did well this year and put us in the position to tank correctly. Next step is dumping Couture. He has no business being on this team.
Will Smith pick was a failure? I don’t understand this one.

YUPPY

Oct 5, 2020
If the Sharks gets the 1st overall and 11th pick they should take Celebrini and Yakemchuk, a strong (D men). Sharks needs to improve their Defense and Goal Tending.

Screenshot 2024-03-27 at 10.06.04 AM.png

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Absolute best case scenario, San Jose finishes last and wins the first lottery, Chicago catches Anaheim to finish 3rd and wins the 2nd lottery. Chicago then becomes blocked from moving up in the draft for the next couple seasons, basically ruining there rebuild.
They have Bedard...their rebuild is not ruined at all.

Plus in this scenario they would be adding Demidov/Levshunov/whoever with the 2nd overall pick. That's a damn good rebuild.

The one thing against the Hawks rebuild is their high fwd picks are all smaller...Bedard, Moore, Nazar, etc. Compare to Anaheim who has McTavish, Carlsson, Gauthier, etc.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
For a team that’s been as bad as Chicago has been, then trading Debrincat and Dach, they don’t really have a very good prospect pool.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
They have Bedard...their rebuild is not ruined at all.

Plus in this scenario they would be adding Demidov/Levshunov/whoever with the 2nd overall pick. That's a damn good rebuild.

The one thing against the Hawks rebuild is their high fwd picks are all smaller...Bedard, Moore, Nazar, etc. Compare to Anaheim who has McTavish, Carlsson, Gauthier, etc.
Chicago has Bedard and only Bedard. A prime McDavid, Crosby or even Gretzky could not get that team out of the basement. They need more then 1 prospect no matter how good that 1 prospect actually is.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Yeah, how did that happen exactly?

Anaheim has a pretty legit prospect pool but somehow is still awful. Their future team scares me though.
They’ve never really hit on any draft picks prior to 2022. Nazar may be someone but between the Seth Jones trade and their own poor scouting they just failed.

landshark

They'll paint the donkey teal if you pay.
Sponsor
Mar 15, 2003
outer richmond dist
I feel like if you're last place in the standings and lose the lotto you should get a compensatory pick at the top of the 2nd round. (never cared before this year, ha!) The last place team obviously needs help, an extra pick wouldn't hurt anyone, picking back to back at the top of the 2nd isn't the best case scenario when finishing last in the league, but it's a nice consolation for finishing last and getting pushed down in the draft by a team that was statistically better...

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
I feel like if you're last place in the standings and lose the lotto you should get a compensatory pick at the top of the 2nd round. (never cared before this year, ha!) The last place team obviously needs help, an extra pick wouldn't hurt anyone, picking back to back at the top of the 2nd isn't the best case scenario when finishing last in the league, but it's a nice consolation for finishing last and getting pushed down in the draft by a team that was statistically better...
thats actually not a terrible idea.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
Absolute best case scenario, San Jose finishes last and wins the first lottery, Chicago catches Anaheim to finish 3rd and wins the 2nd lottery. Chicago then becomes blocked from moving up in the draft for the next couple seasons, basically ruining there rebuild.
I'd love my rebuild to be ruined by having Bedard and a mere 2nd overall pick the next year.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California

Le Rosbeef

Jul 27, 2007

Umm. You ok, Bro?

1711626748539.png

(For anyone who hasn't been paying attention, Will Smith's present season has been at a better PPG than recent NCAA seasons for Eichel, Fantilli, Cooley, Parise, Gaudreau, Keller, Celebrini etc... basically second only to Kyle Conner in the past 2 decades.)

If that's a failure, sign me up for more failure.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Fantilli and Carlsson weren't available at the time of our pick We literally couldn't draft them...how is that a failure? Smith has done everything we asked.

Michkov looks great, but I'm very happy with Smith all things considered. I mean we could draft Demidov this year who would be our version of Michkov without the picking certain teams rumours and 1 less year in the KHL.

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Let's talk about worst case scenario's (for the 2024 draft):

SJ drops to 3rd overall in the lottery, and PIT keeps their pick.

At 3rd overall the options are probably Demidov, Levshunov, Dickinson or Lindstrom. One of them will be off the board obviously but would you want to go D or F?

willsy

Feb 26, 2015

At 3rd overall the options are probably Demidov, Levshunov, Dickinson or Lindstrom. One of them will be off the board obviously but would you want to go D or F?
BPA which is Demidov.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

At 3rd, I would expect Demidov to be taken 2nd and for the Sharks to have to choose between Levshunov and Lindstrom but I would also be working the phones to see what sort of trades are available to move back. I would talk to Montreal about moving back to 6 to see if they'll give us 25 as compensation for dropping down or Ottawa to move back to 7 for 27 or Calgary for 10, 31, and another asset. I think a suitable pick will still be available for the team at any of those picks while taking another shot later in the round where there's still promising prospects though they have more risk obviously.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
At 3rd, I would expect Demidov to be taken 2nd and for the Sharks to have to choose between Levshunov and Lindstrom but I would also be working the phones to see what sort of trades are available to move back. I would talk to Montreal about moving back to 6 to see if they'll give us 25 as compensation for dropping down or Ottawa to move back to 7 for 27 or Calgary for 10, 31, and another asset. I think a suitable pick will still be available for the team at any of those picks while taking another shot later in the round where there's still promising prospects though they have more risk obviously.

Sounds like there’s a steep drop off after 15, I’d take Levshunov and run. Maybe grab another 1st rounder if people are still interested in trading one for Ferraro.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015

I would take Levshunov. IMO his ceiling is sky high. He has spent minimal years with high level coaching and his issues are things that coaching can easily smooth out. I see him as a clear 1D on a cup winner.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
On our boards we've gotten pretty locked in on Levshunov as the #1 D off the board, but I really think teams are going to have different evaluations. I've said before that I could see any of Dickinson, Levshunov, Silayev, or even Buium (outside shot -- more possible if he crushes the tourney) going in the top 5 or 1-2 D off the board. There's even the chance that someone goes for Yakemchuk as the 1-3rd D off the board.

I do not think Demidov is a lock for 2OA. As a Russian and a slightly small winger, even though he's insanely skilled I think he could easily fall to 6-9OA.

I would take Levshunov. IMO his ceiling is sky high. He has spent minimal years with high level coaching and his issues are things that coaching can easily smooth out. I see him as a clear 1D on a cup winner.
People keep saying this, but processing speed, decision-making, and defensive sense are not things that coaching can definitely smooth out. I have concerns about Lev along these lines but I have to trust that the scouting dept is going to do their diligence on this through interviews with him and his coaches/teammates.

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad