2024 NHL Draft: Play Like a Sieve So We Can Draft Zeev

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I'd be shocked if anything came from this story. When was the last time a 1st overall pick actually held out/demanded to not go to the team picking 1st overall? Lindros?
Not a 1st overall but it just happened this season with a 5th overall pick.

But then again, you have to be something special for you to win that battle against an NHL team. And Even then Lindros did not actually win that battle, the team still drafted him and then used the rewards from the trade to win 3 or so cups.

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
Not a 1st overall but it just happened this season with a 5th overall pick.

But then again, you have to be something special for you to win that battle against an NHL team. And Even then Lindros did not actually win that battle, the team still drafted him and then used the rewards from the trade to win 3 or so cups.
Wow can't believe I forgot Michkov...in fairness that one is a little weird in that he can make a ton of money staying in the KHL which I don't see a US/Canadian player doing

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I know he's small, and not a center, and kind of similar to what we already have, but man, it's hard to deny Demidov's skill. He looks like such a fun player but I don't think there's any world that Grier has a Top 6 made up of a bunch of under 6'0 guys.

Still, his highlights are real fun.

knu

Feb 28, 2012
Fremont CA
There are more than 3 rinks in the Bay Area, its just the Sharks are in control of 3 of them. However they spend ZERO money in Fremont and Oakland, and only focus on Sharks Ice in San Jose.

Their "contrabution" of the Fremont and Oakland rinks consist of throwing up a few banners of players (most of which have been traded long ago).

It's quite a site to see banners of Brent Burns and Timo Mier hanging on the walls of these rinks.

Hell, they just RECENTLY pulled the huge mural of Martin Jones down at Sharks Ice in San Jose so.
I mean....we're still paying him sooooo

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Look, I understand why you are so skeptical, I would be too. But it's what I'm hearing first hand. There is nothing I'd love more than to become a "credentialed" Staff writer for the Sharks, and just re-post stupid hot takes from Pierre McGuire, and be considered an insider, but I already have a full time job, and coach youth hockey so.
I'm not SO skeptical, I'm always skeptical. I'm not even doubting what you believe to be true. I'm calling out this site and its rules. And I just got flagged again just for saying that. What the hell is going on here with HF?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
If there are a lot of ex NHL'ers in the Bay Area, they do not participate in youth hockey I can tell you that much. The only ones I've come in contact with are Cheecho, Hannan, and Mark Smith. Where as a large percentage of the So. Cal teams have an ex NHL'er apart of their coaching staff (not all played with the Kings or the Ducks).

And like I said before, this all could be for moot, my main point is that this is just the Sharks way. For the FIRST time in this Franchise's history, they have an opportunity to finally draft a franchise talent, and that talent has baggage with the club ahead of time.

We all love to claim that the NHL hates the Sharks, but if they end up winning the draft lottery, there is a bit of spite with Macklin and his family towards the Sharks, and that just sucks.

I'm sure in the history of the NHL this has happened before, but it is so like the Sharks that this could happen with their very first 1OA draft pick.
I personally don’t doubt you at all, but this has big Charlie McAvoy “f*** the Bruins” tweet energy. You get over it.

The Sharks should absolute put more money into local junior hockey, it is an atrocity right now. But I don’t think that’s nearly enough for Celebrini not to report to the Sharks if we draft him.

I'm not SO skeptical, I'm always skeptical. I'm not even doubting what you believe to be true. I'm calling out this site and its rules. And I just got flagged again just for saying that. What the hell is going on here with HF?
I like rumors, tell me more!

cheechoo

˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗ Tomas Hertl #48 ˗ˋˏ ♡ ˎˊ˗
Dec 13, 2018
suspended in gaffa
Old stuff. And they weren't rumors. Stuff came directly from players mouths (like Pavs moving on). But I understand how a forum would think they are. Not sure why this is any different though.

I'm not sure why that would have been considered an infringement. Sorry that happened to you.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
I like rumors, tell me more!
My well has been dry for sometime since the band broke up. Could expect to fill up again once we get more regulars in the lineup again. But def a bear market for inside info atm.

there may be a former player nugget lingering for me to pick up on. If so, I'll share if it's worthy.

cydjericho

Jul 15, 2006
I mean....we're still paying him sooooo
That's a very sunny side take, you're 100% right!!!

What's even more delightful is they have MEV as a hanging banner, which is such an inspiration to young kids....

"Hey kids, you see that guy right there? He's a shining example of working hard, paying your dues, getting a massive contract, and then mailing it in for the rest of your career, follow his lead!"

cydjericho

Jul 15, 2006
Who's to say my post won't get taken down?

I'm more concerned with how buggy this site is! Nothing better than to have to refresh 13 times just to see the latest post.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
If there are a lot of ex NHL'ers in the Bay Area, they do not participate in youth hockey I can tell you that much. The only ones I've come in contact with are Cheecho, Hannan, and Mark Smith. Where as a large percentage of the So. Cal teams have an ex NHL'er apart of their coaching staff (not all played with the Kings or the Ducks).

And like I said before, this all could be for moot, my main point is that this is just the Sharks way. For the FIRST time in this Franchise's history, they have an opportunity to finally draft a franchise talent, and that talent has baggage with the club ahead of time.

We all love to claim that the NHL hates the Sharks, but if they end up winning the draft lottery, there is a bit of spite with Macklin and his family towards the Sharks, and that just sucks.

I'm sure in the history of the NHL this has happened before, but it is so like the Sharks that this could happen with their very first 1OA draft pick.
Calling what you posted here baggage for Macklin Celebrini is an unwarranted assumption. Saying there is a bit of spite is speculation on your part and that's all it is. Dealing with the junior Sharks and the San Jose Sharks are different conversations that all parties should understand including you but you don't for whatever reason.

ieglover

Mar 19, 2006
Calling what you posted here baggage for Macklin Celebrini is an unwarranted assumption. Saying there is a bit of spite is speculation on your part and that's all it is. Dealing with the junior Sharks and the San Jose Sharks are different conversations that all parties should understand including you but you don't for whatever reason.
I think we can all agree the Jr Shark organization is a cluster, especially when compared to LA and Anaheim. It would not surprise me if works were muttered about the Jr Sharks being a disaster. I am pretty sure I have heard the same stuff from lots of parents in the local area and my wife finds it difficult to root for the sharks now because of our experience just playing against the sharks.

I think the Jr Sharks went 8/9 months without a director which made things even worse. I really hope they get it together and the big team supports them. What you see, especially from the Ducks is really impressive down south.

Lets just get back to hoping we end up with the first pick and go from there.

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
To be fair I do think it is highly likely Macklin is hoping the Blackhawks win the lottery instead of us.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009
To be fair I do think it is highly likely Macklin is hoping the Blackhawks win the lottery instead of us.

Wouldnt you?

Legacy franchise with a recent history of winning, already has Bedard, AND seemingly gets good fortunes from the league despite heinous transgressions....

vs

Cursed franchise who has terrible luck, weaker prospect pool, 0 help from the league, etc

I more mad that your post got axed because I had a gem of a reply that also get deleted lol

Reactions: Sandisfan

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
As this guy thinks telling us about his reading disability is more important than tooting his own horn, i will gladly do the latter (though tooting someone else’s horn sounds oh so wrong to me):

Haven’t listened to it yet, but I am looking forward to it.
It was a VERY good one. Listening to it on my drive to SF today. No notes!

I do have a hot take though. Was watching more highlights on the dmen today. Parekh is going to be the best Dman of the class or a complete bust. No in between.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad