2024 NHL Draft Picks 11, 43, 75, 107, 108, 171, 203, 222

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
You'd just want him to have one exceptional physical trait. He's like the player generated video character with straight 85s
This is a weird draft. There's 6 D in the top group of players (Dickinson, Silayev, Perakh, Levshunov, Buium, Yakemchuk; no particular order)

I don't hold any in the regard I held top talents like Dahlin, Power, Makar, Heiskanen. I have all of them in a Chychrun, Reinbacher, Dobson kind of tier.

Which is to say, all have strengths/weaknesses, and you can make of argument for basically anyone (but Yakemchuk) to be the top guy. Buium could certainly be the best of them when it's all said and done.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
This is a weird draft. There's 6 D in the top group of players (Dickinson, Silayev, Perakh, Levshunov, Buium, Yakemchuk; no particular order)

I don't hold any in the regard I held top talents like Dahlin, Power, Makar, Heiskanen. I have all of them in a Chychrun, Reinbacher, Dobson kind of tier.

Which is to say, all have strengths/weaknesses, and you can make of argument for basically anyone (but Yakemchuk) to be the top guy. Buium could certainly be the best of them when it's all said and done.
You look at them and go Buium and Dickinson are the steadiest. You can see the high floor and wonder how high their ceiling will be.

Levshunov and Yakemchuk are the physical specimens but they give off lots of head scratching moments. You rein in their impulsive mistakes and you can envision a top pairing D. Their lower floor but possibly higher ceiling.

Silayev is a riddle within a conundrum. Was his early offensive production a fluke and you can reasonably expect a big body defensive defenseman? Did team dynamics and usage change which affected his offense. Still he's at worse should be a top 4 D.

Parekh jumps out offensively and makes me cringe when he's defending. He doesn't have that top tier skating like a Makar, he has good edges and lateral movement but I wonder about his escape ability. I look at him and the comparable I get is an OEL

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
You look at them and go Buium and Dickinson are the steadiest. You can see the high floor and wonder how high their ceiling will be.

Levshunov and Yakemchuk are the physical specimens but they give off lots of head scratching moments. You rein in their impulsive mistakes and you can envision a top pairing D. Their lower floor but possibly higher ceiling.

Silayev is a riddle within a conundrum. Was his early offensive production a fluke and you can reasonably expect a big body defensive defenseman? Did team dynamics and usage change which affected his offense. Still he's at worse should be a top 4 D.

Parekh jumps out offensively and makes me cringe when he's defending. He doesn't have that top tier skating like a Makar, he has good edges and lateral movement but I wonder about his escape ability. I look at him and the comparable I get is an OEL
Right handers are so much harder to find that I automatically give them much more value for that trait alone. Plus, Buffalo already has a logjam on the left side that makes me put them pretty low on the priority list.

Buffalo is the one team that should probably start drafting something other than offensive left handed defensemen and small-ish wingers, so I have a lot of “need” built into any ranking.

I’m not worried about size for a true center, since you can never have enough good centers of any size.

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

With Sabres' bias, which we must do:

Dahlin and Power are here the rest of the decade. Byram's a good bet to be here a bit too. That essentially removes access to top PP minutes.

Based on that, Perakh is my least favorite option. If the board falls where he's the only one of the 6 D left, I'd take a good look at the forwards before I took him.

Yakemchuk isn't far behind, but has the advantage of having an edgy game to him and size, despite his skating at times reminding me of Cody Franson.

Buium is a do-everything, just win kind of guy, and for that reason, is amongst my favorite options, despite the size. Has vibes of a lockdown 2nd pair guy that isn't sexy on counting stats, but is an analytics darling.

Silayev to me is nearly a guaranteed bottom pair NHL D at minimum with that size and that skating. I think the early offense was an exception, not an expectation. Still happy to take him in this draft.

Levshunov is the rangiest outcome to me. Top pair to total bust. I worry about the processing. On the other hand, his size, speed, and right shot could give him a very easy NHL role next to Dahlin or Power.

Dickinson, like you said, low worry, steady, offensive ceiling tough to gauge. The Ryan Suter comp is spot on.

My current rankings would be:

Buium
Levshunov / Silayev tie
Dickinson
Yakemchuk
<peak at available forwards>
Perakh

I'd prefer to come out of this draft, should we keep the pick, with one of these 6 D. If you look at our team and our propsect pool, it's the perfect time to add a blue chip D prospect.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
So looking at the standings -- we can pick no later than 11.....we can't catch Minny for 12. So a lotto win gets us Macklin.

The Flames, Devils and Kraken are the only teams that can theoretically pass us at this point. So our range is 8-11.
My current rankings would be:

Buium
Levshunov / Silayev tie
Dickinson
Yakemchuk
<peak at available forwards>
Perakh

I'd prefer to come out of this draft, should we keep the pick, with one of these 6 D. If you look at our team and our propsect pool, it's the perfect time to add a blue chip D prospect.
Jiricek a step down from these 6, in your opinion?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So looking at the standings -- we can pick no later than 11.....we can't catch Minny for 12. So a lotto win gets us Macklin.

The Flames, Devils and Kraken are the only teams that can theoretically pass us at this point. So our range is 8-11.

Adam looks like he's probably in the 20's based on mid-season ranking stuff.

Reactions: Zman5778

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

For sure. Doesn't have the elite traits of his brother, and isn't nearly as composed with the puck. I have him in the classic 1st round talent tier, alongside overager Jesse Pulkkinen.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
So Tankathon has their mock draft (without simulations) and the Sabres taking Tij Iginla at 11th.

Is this something we could get behind?

((I tried the lottery simulator and in about 40 tries the Sabres never moved to #1. Got to #2 twice))

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So Tankathon has their mock draft (without simulations) and the Sabres taking Tij Iginla at 11th.

((I tried the lottery simulator and in about 40 tries the Sabres never moved to #1. Got to #2 twice))

It would be okay. At 11 there is a lot of "it's okay" to draft selections. I mean, other than one guy who is falling due to being an incomplete player on a team that has a history of featuring underperforming NHLers who were high-level finishers at their tier in Eiserman with the Program. Kiefer Bellows, Oliver Wahlstrom both spring to mind as guys who didn't do much but finish at the NTDP who have struggled terribly to be effective in the NHL. Not interested in Eiserman shy of breaking off a boot up his ass to try in other parts of the ice.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

Looking at that specific mock draft.....

I mean.....sure? I'd be less than enthused. Nothing against Tij, but it's more of the same.

I'd rather Helenius, Greentree, MBN or even Yakemchuk the way that mock went.

Reactions: SECRET SQUIRREL

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
I’m on the Brandsegg-Nygard train until someone talks me off of it.
Is this joining me on “the best name = the best draft pick”?

Or do you actually pay attention to skills, talent, pedigree and all the other irrelevant bullshit?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Is this joining me on “the best name = the best draft pick”?

Or do you actually pay attention to skills, talent, pedigree and all the other irrelevant bullshit?

I am on the "Draft Zeev Buium to see Rob Ray's brain melt" train.

:sarcasm:

Gabrielor

Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
11th pick isn't where I was hoping to end up. Afraid the wall of the top 6 D will be gone, and it could be another Benson/Savoie situation where we're looking at small skill as the bpa.

Or, you know, trade it.

Reactions: Willgamesh

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
11th pick isn't where I was hoping to end up. Afraid the wall of the top 6 D will be gone, and it could be another Benson/Savoie situation where we're looking at small skill as the bpa.

Or, you know, trade it.
Exactly how i feel all the targets i prefer will be gone.

Reactions: Fearnot

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006

I am on the "Draft Zeev Buium to see Rob Ray's brain melt" train.

:sarcasm:
There are a lot of guys on they "Make Rob Ray's Brain melt" train. Most of the Russians, Buium, Yakemchuk, maybe Parekh, Brandsegg-Nygard, etc.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad