Buffalo Bills Post-Draft Discussion

What position do you want the Bills to draft round 1?

• RB

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • WR / TE

Votes: 36 60.0%
  • OL

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • DL

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • LB

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • CB

• S

• Trade out of first round

Votes: 14 23.3%

• Total voters

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
McKinley Jackson? Brugler has a 6-7 round grade on him. I think those nose type guys tend to be available much later than penetrators like Carter.
I disagree with Brugler’s grade. I also don’t see 325 NTs lasting that long. They aren’t that common anymore.

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Don’t see an eventual starter. Rds 1-3 you should be able to get a starter. Also the proce to move up indicates to me the league thinks the lower rounds are pretty thin. Nobody is looking for value late. More like projects. Jmho.
I would not say mid to late round 3 you "should" be able to get a starter. I went back and looked at 2020 and 2021 and there are more backups than starters (Start in case of injury types) selected between 90-100 than anything else - a bunch of them are already not with the team who drafted them, even.

Reactions: Zman5778

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Don’t see an eventual starter. Rds 1-3 you should be able to get a starter. Also the proce to move up indicates to me the league thinks the lower rounds are pretty thin. Nobody is looking for value late. More like projects. Jmho.
I agree Carter is more of a rotational piece, but we rotate our DL so much that a B level rotational player will still play close to 50% of snaps.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Yeah. He's the odds-on favorite to start in Poyer's spot.
No, he's Siran Neal.

As an aside, when did Sal become full Paul Hamilton / Mike Harrington level brain drain? He spent this evening posting an idiotic take about Bishop on twitter, defending it, going on WGR to complain about people clowning him, then asking questions at Beane's PC geared toward justifying the idiotic take. Literal shades of Hamilton.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

Didn't really look into Carter during the predraft process at all, and honestly I watched quite a bit of Duke this year because I was a big fan of Leonard (maybe I changed the channel when Duke's offense came off the field :dunno:).

But really digging the first highlight in this clip.

Reactions: Dingo44

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
Seems like someone who could work with the coaching staff to refine his game a bit while not losing that motor. Sounds like he has some room for development to me.

buffalowing88

Aug 11, 2008
Charlotte, NC

Totally get the concern but what even is a starter in the interior defensive line these days? There's going to be a constantly-changing rotation depending on situation and if this guy is simply available, that's a big step over some of the veteran players we turned to in the past few years.

Star Loutelei and Jordan Phillips burned me out so much on having these talented dudes who never played that I'm almost fine with settling for a lesser guy with a lower ceiling who does play. Carter was pretty available in college and durable. That would be a nice trend for us.

Reactions: Tatanka

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
After sleeping on it, still pretty bummed.
Could have been
Jer’zhan Newton
Cole Bishop
Troy Franklin/Dez Walker/Javon Baker
But really, not getting that insane trade up package from Atlanta is what kills me. They must have offered it.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Jesus, look at the Coleman and Bishop drat call videos. One looks like a party, one looks like a funeral.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Would have liked one more trade down with some of the packages teams got, but oh well. Can tell Beane didn't want to push it. I'd give us a B- right now.

Keon: lot of +'s once you cut through the noise. Super young, super fluid for his height/weight (hoops, like Kincaid), Mossing ability we haven't had since..., very driven, only started playing football right before HS so there's some ceiling still. And he's going to be hilarious, almost the anti-Diggs. Sign DJ Chark for one year to battle with and teach him.

Bishop: opposite of Keon, I like him less having dug deeper. Kind of does feel like a big nickel based on his role at Utah. Not sure he has the hips to be our tight end eraser. Don't love the lack of plays on the ball. Extremely short arms. Doesn't pack as much of a punch on film as I hoped. I do think there is some stuff to work with though and McD/Babich will maximize him. Love him as a blitzer.

Carter: I'm a Dukie so I love it. Love the character and smarts. We needed a rotational generalist DT for the future with our aging guys. Think he's a sneaky big play guy - he had two longish fumble. returns for TD. Same name as Lil' Wayne.

Teams I don't like have had solid drafts so far - Pittsburgh, Cinci, Indy. Jealous of the Eagles drafting, DeJean is a steal at 40 in that defense. I think the Chargers are going to be hilarious under Harbaugh. He thinks he's drafting a college team, not gonna work. Ticked off but vindicated that McCaffrey went R3.

For today, it's obviously ideal to consolidate picks and trade up but it may prove difficult to get any value. Might have to bite the bullet and make 9-10 picks and hope that a few lotto tickets hit in camp. Some of the guys I like;

RB: Guerendo, Ali, Johnson, Davis, Vidal, Holani

WR: Franklin, Rice, Cornelius J, Flournoy, Means

OL: Bortolini, Limmer, Nourzad, Mahogany

DL: Jackson, Watts, Cole, Kamara

CB: Devonshire, Stiggers, McGlothern, Newton, King

And for the love of god, take Tory Taylor with 144. Just do it. Set and forget punter for 6 years.

Reactions: brian_griffin

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Honestly, just remember, nobody (not the bills, not any expert) knows if these are 'good picks' or not yet. Ignore any post draft grades because its allllllll bullshit. It's like guessing who got the winning lotto ticket.
I agree. I’m ignoring others’ opinions. But I have mine. I REALLY struggle to see how Coleman strengths and weaknesses line up with Josh’s strengths and weaknesses. I don’t think Coleman is as bad as some, but I don’t see how he’s a fit HERE.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Wondering if Beane has any targets left should totally use some of the 5ths to move up. Or just take some stabs at a bunch of high risk guys?

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
It's going to be a blast when they select Coleman. The only guy here that's not really been debated, the one guy everyone seems to not want. :laugh:
I did call it... I don't hate it but don't like it. I've warmed on Coleman slightly & he is undoubtedly something completely different to everyone else in the room. The issue is that i see him as more of a 'big slot' - but Beane unequivocally said he will play outside - so let's see.

I love the Bishop pick. Once CDJ & then Bullard went off the board i knew they would get him. I don't yet see his upside in coverage which is being talked about - but at the very least he's by far the best strong/box safety in the draft perhaps with the possibility of being used as a 'big nickel' in future?

I knew nothing about Carter - but from watching his interviews & reading some scouting reports - i think he'll also be a good pick.

Players I'd be targeting today:
EDGE (having Isaac & Hunt go just before 95 was unfortunate)
IOL (preferably C)
Power back
Depth CB
Depth WR (preferably a good returner)
Depth LB

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad