WJC: 2023 Team Finland Roster Talk

MattiasSnall

May 1, 2018
Since the 2022 WJC has been cancelled I need something to soften my huge disappointment for this catastrophic ending for the tournament, And what better way then to look forward at what’s hopefully going to happen in a year in Novosibirsk and Omsk.

There is still a small possibility that this tournament might be finished at a later occasion, but that is still highly doubtful.

Next years team is gonna consist of mostly 03/04 born players, the 03 born team finished 4th at last years U18 tournament while the 04 born players hopefully will be able to play their U18 WJC later this year.

When looking at what the team might look like and which kind of players there might be I see that the forward crop seems pretty strong and maybe even better then this years but at the same time the defense seems weaker.

I’m gonna list potential players for the 2023 team and feel free to add or mention some players I might have forgotten:

Forwards:
Brad Lambert
Ville Koivunen
Oliver Kapanen
Sami Päivärinta
Kalle Väisänen
Samu Tuomaala
Samu Salminen
Niko Huuhtanen
Viljami Marjala
Juho Järvelä
Viljam Sandvik
Sisu Yliniemi
Rasmus Ruusunen
Verner Miettinen
Miko Matikka
Konsta Kapanen
Jeremi Tammela
Feetu Knihti
Joakim Kemell
Topi Rönni
Jani Nyman
Aleksanteri Kaskimäki
Otto Hokkanen
Jere Lassila
Kasper Halttunen
Emil Järventie

Defensemen:
Aleksi Heimosalmi
Aleksi Malinen
Topias Vilén
Viljami Juusola
Kalle Ervasti
Jimi Suomi
Tomi Leppänen
Atte Lehikoinen
Kasper Kulonummi
Otto Salin
Otto Heinonen
Elmeri Laakso

Goaltenders:
Aku Koskenvuo
Juuso Helomaa
Jani Lampinen
Niklas Kokko
Topias Leinonen

With lines it might look something like this:
Koivunen-Kapanen-Lambert
Kemell-Salminen-Tuomaala
Nyman-Rönni-Huuhtanen
Väisänen-Päivärinta-Kaskimäki
Miettinen, Halttunen, Matikka, Ruusunen etc

Vilén-Heimosalmi
Malinen-Juusola
Suomi-Kulonummi
Ervasti, Leppänen, Salin, Laakso etc

Koskenvuo
Leinonen
Helomaa

But now awaits a long and uncertain wait until next year where a lot can happen. But lets look forward and hope that we as soon as possible can enjoy these tournaments as normal without having to worry about cancellation. Feel free to add your own rosters and potential players in this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: king89

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
Furthermore, the 2022 edition has not necessarily been completely cancelled, but rather postponed - the IIHF is exploring options to rearrange the tournament in the next spring or summer. The teams wouldn't likely be exactly the same, but it's already been stated that if the tournament is played sometime within the next few months, the 2002-borns would still be allowed to participate. And, of course, the 2003- and 2004-borns would be a few months older with more games under their belts. So, unless the the present WJC is announced as completely cancelled, the 2022 edition thread is still quite topical.

Aatu Räty may get to play after all...

And another interesting question: if it's given another shot in the summer, would it be Pennanen or Kari Jalonen coaching the team?

Last edited:

TheFinnishTrap

Apr 10, 2012
There's definitely some size available in the forward group with Nyman, Salminen, Väisänen, Huuhtanen, Rönni, Hokkanen and Halttunen plus some others.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Team looks strong on offense, weak on defense, and goaltending is probably going to have to rely on the younger guys to improve.

Kemell-Lambert-Vaisanen
Koivunen-Kapanen-Tuomaala
Kaskimaki-Salminen-Paivirinta
Nyman-Ronni-Huuhtanen
Marjala-Halttunen

Malinen-Heimosalmi
Vilen-Kulonummi
Laakso-Salin
Juusola-Suomi

Leinonen
Koskenvuo
Kokko

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
The Czech national team seems to want Kari Jalonen as their head coach. That would mean that his U20 coaching thing wouldn't happen. It is said that Czechs want him for 2.5 years.

Kari Jalonen vahvoilla Tshekin seuraavaksi päävalmentajaksi

What if Pennanen returns to coach the U20 team? Pennanen most likely can't coach KHL Jokerit or maybe he doesn't want to go traveling in Russia if Jokerit will play in KHL next season or maybe Jokerit won't play in KHL at all next season. If Jokerit are going back to Liiga/SM-Liiga, then Pennanen can probably get out of his Jokerit contract as well because he signed to coach in a higher level league. A lot of uncertainty.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The Czech national team seems to want Kari Jalonen as their head coach. That would mean that his U20 coaching thing wouldn't happen. It is said that Czechs want him for 2.5 years.

Kari Jalonen vahvoilla Tshekin seuraavaksi päävalmentajaksi

What if Pennanen returns to coach the U20 team? Pennanen most likely can't coach KHL Jokerit or maybe he doesn't want to go traveling in Russia if Jokerit will play in KHL next season or maybe Jokerit won't play in KHL at all next season. If Jokerit are going back to Liiga/SM-Liiga, then Pennanen can probably get out of his Jokerit contract as well because he signed to coach in a higher level league. A lot of uncertainty.

Sounds like Tomi Lämsä is the likeliest option: Tomi Lämsä lähtee Venäjältä (iltalehti.fi)

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
This could go into multiple threads, but let's put it here:

There's a bit of a game of musical chairs going on regarding the coaching. Scuttlebutt says that K.Jalonen taking over the Czech national team is a done deal. FIHA won't oppose if they can find an equally competent replacement. And they apparently did - thanks to Vlad Putin, of all people. Antti Pennanen was supposed to be the next head coach of Jokerit - and while it's not been officially announced yet, Jokerit is following Riga and withdrawing from the entire KHL. This enables Pennanen to keep coaching the U20 in the restarted 2022 WJC.

What happens afterwards is still up in the air. If Pennanen wants to stay on for another season, FIHA will be happy to have him, but if not, at least him staying through the next games will buy them some time to find a coach for the 2023 edition. Pennanen's decision will depend on many things, such as if Jokerit is granted a quick entry back into Liiga. (Which, in turn, has its own open questions, such as the ownership of [soon-to-be-not?] Hartwall Arena.) If not, then there are other options on the table, such as Tomi Lämsä.

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
This could go into multiple threads, but let's put it here:

There's a bit of a game of musical chairs going on regarding the coaching. Scuttlebutt says that K.Jalonen taking over the Czech national team is a done deal. FIHA won't oppose if they can find an equally competent replacement. And they apparently did - thanks to Vlad Putin, of all people. Antti Pennanen was supposed to be the next head coach of Jokerit - and while it's not been officially announced yet, Jokerit is following Riga and withdrawing from the entire KHL. This enables Pennanen to keep coaching the U20 in the restarted 2022 WJC.

What happens afterwards is still up in the air. If Pennanen wants to stay on for another season, FIHA will be happy to have him, but if not, at least him staying through the next games will buy them some time to find a coach for the 2023 edition. Pennanen's decision will depend on many things, such as if Jokerit is granted a quick entry back into Liiga. (Which, in turn, has its own open questions, such as the ownership of [soon-to-be-not?] Hartwall Arena.) If not, then there are other options on the table, such as Tomi Lämsä.

It is true that it might take a while before some critical decisions get done regarding Jokerit and their arena and this can affect the coach selection of the U20 team. I agree.

My feeling is this. Jokerit will play in SM-Liiga/Liiga next season. I don't think that they can do Tapparat & Ilves thing and play in their rival's HIFK's arena, althought that was Jokerit's ex arena until 1997 shared with HIFK. HIFK would probably welcome them because boycotting Hartwall Arena is kind of a good thing now with it's Russian connections, so HIFK will respect that. I will say however that Jokerit don't want to do that and they will rather play in Espoo Metro Arena for a while, which is one of the best ice hockey arenas in Finland still and not too far away.

Jokerit will set up some buss ride system for some of their loyal fans to get to Espoo Metro Arena easier. It's just 15-30 min more travel or something. It's really not that bad. I used to take a bike ride all the time from Helsinki to my friend's place who lived right next to that building, so I know that it's not that long distance. They would play on Espoo Metro Arena until Russian ownership will let go of Hartwall Arena and those Russians will do that at some point when Hartwall arena doesn't do anything for them, because no one will be using it for monetary benefit.

Espoo Metro Areena – Wikipedia

Last edited:

FiLe

Mr. Know-It-Nothing
Oct 9, 2009
My feeling is this. Jokerit will play in SM-Liiga/Liiga next season. I don't think that they can do Tapparat & Ilves thing and play in their rival's HIFK's arena, althought that was Jokerit's ex arena until 1997 shared with HIFK. HIFK would probably welcome them because boycotting Hartwall Arena is kind of a good thing now with it's Russian connections, so HIFK will respect that. I will say however that Jokerit don't want to do that and they will rather play in Espoo Metro Arena for a while, which is one of the best ice hockey arenas in Finland still and not too far away.
I have to say, I wouldn't hold my breath that they get everything sorted out before the next season begins. Mostly because there's a far greater issue than finding an arena - the fact that exiting the KHL means they won't have a team anymore. Unless the players they presently have under contracts agree to significant pay cuts, they need to start building the squad essentially from the scratch, as there won't be Russian money pouring anymore. And unless the issues surrounding the Liiga re-entry and finding some home ice gets sorted in about a month or so from now, it will be far too late for them to enter the player market. Then there are the sponsor deals and stuff...

Miracles can always happen, but the most likely outcome of this whole mess is that Jokerit won't be playing anywhere the next season, and their Liiga return will have to wait 'til 2023.

Reactions: Exarz

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah. Of course Jokerit isn't gone for good but I can totally see them taking 1-year hiatus to figure stuff out, at least.

Regarding Lamsa I think he is slightly underrated here, he did very well with SYu. Then again, his competition aren't some bums either.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I have to say, I wouldn't hold my breath that they get everything sorted out before the next season begins. Mostly because there's a far greater issue than finding an arena - the fact that exiting the KHL means they won't have a team anymore. Unless the players they presently have under contracts agree to significant pay cuts, they need to start building the squad essentially from the scratch, as there won't be Russian money pouring anymore. And unless the issues surrounding the Liiga re-entry and finding some home ice gets sorted in about a month or so from now, it will be far too late for them to enter the player market. Then there are the sponsor deals and stuff...

Miracles can always happen, but the most likely outcome of this whole mess is that Jokerit won't be playing anywhere the next season, and their Liiga return will have to wait 'til 2023.

It's an interesting but tricky situation for sure. It will be very interesting to see how this historic thing will go down. We don't often see a team jumping from a league to another like this. We won't see a Finnish team in KHL in the next 20 years if ever anymore.

I wonder what Dinamo Riga will do also. It's kind of a shame that Riga had to leave KHL as well because Dinamo Riga was a good tool for Latvian national team for getting some higher level competition for some Latvian players.

SM-Liiga/Liiga could expand a bit and get one team from Latvia and maybe Estonia as well to join Liiga. Many Liiga teams travel to other Liiga teams' games with planes so why not fly to Estonia or Latvia as well. They are nearby so it would be easy. Another option is to take a boat ride to Estonia and have some hangover hockey. It would involve a lot of fighting and emotions :).

Last edited:

Exarz

Jan 1, 2014
Helsinki
It is true that it might take a while before some critical decisions get done regarding Jokerit and their arena and this can affect the coach selection of the U20 team. I agree.

Jokerit will set up some buss ride system for some of their loyal fans to get to Espoo Metro Arena easier. It's just 15-30 min more travel or something. It's really not that bad. I used to take a bike ride all the time from Helsinki to my friend's place who lived right next to that building, so I know that it's not that long distance. They would play on Espoo Metro Arena until Russian ownership will let go of Hartwall Arena and those Russians will do that at some point when Hartwall arena doesn't do anything for them, because no one will be using it for monetary benefit.

Espoo Metro Areena – Wikipedia
Liiga chairman Heikki Hiltunen said in a Hesari article that Jokerit can't join Liiga next season, not even through some fast-track application. The Liiga license terms are currently impossible to achieve under the current circumstances, plus they need to redeem a 1.8 million euro stake. The most likely scenario if Jokerit plays senior hockey next season is to take K-Vantaa's spot in Mestis.

Reactions: Mestaruus

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Liiga chairman Heikki Hiltunen said in a Hesari article that Jokerit can't join Liiga next season, not even through some fast-track application. The Liiga license terms are currently impossible to achieve under the current circumstances, plus they need to redeem a 1.8 million euro stake. The most likely scenario if Jokerit plays senior hockey next season is to take K-Vantaa's spot in Mestis.

I also read some more about it and it starts to sound like they will just skip next season. Maybe they would rather come back to Liiga as a strong team and not as some struggling weak roster that was formed on the last minute. Those Russian owners are gone in 1 year if the ex Hartwall Arena won't be used for anything, so Jokerit would get their arena back in that time and things would start to look good again.

Also Kiekko-Espoo of Mestis/division 1 might want the same spot that Jokerit would want for the 16th Liiga spot. 17 teams would be a lot. They should just bring back open qualifiying (for a lack of a better term) between Mestis and Liiga. Now is the time to do it. One team relegates from Liiga and one team gets promoted to Liiga from Mestis. Some years later they can make it 2 teams relegates and 2 teams advances maybe. Other match up could have the second worst Liiga team play agains the second best Mestis team in some kind of series of games, similarly to Swedish league.

Last edited:
Reactions: Exarz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad