10. Prokhor Poltapov, W (+3)
  11. Viktor Neuchev, W (+3)
  12. Lukas Rousek, W (+5)
  13. Maxim Strbak, D (NR)
  14. Tyson Kozak, C (+1)
  15. Vsevolod Komarov, D (NR)
  16. Alexander Kisakov, W (-4)
  17. Olivier Nadeau, W/C (+3)

RULES: Each poll will remain open for 2 days. In the case of a tie within the top 10, I'll create a 1-day runoff poll to decide the winner. Ties outside of the top 10 will be let stand as ties. For each additional poll, I will add the most commented next to add prospect.

ELIGIBILITY: All players whose rights are held by the Buffalo Sabres and who are eligible to win the Calder Trophy for the 2023-24 season are eligible inclusion. That means a prospect is eligible if--
  • He is under age 26 (as of September 15, 2023);
  • He has played no more than 25 games in any single preceding season; and
  • He has not played 6 or more games in each of any two or more preceding seasons.

NEXT TO ADD: Comment the player you want to see added to the next poll. The following players are eligible:
  • Forwards: Linus Sjodin, Brandon Biro, Matteo Costantini, Gustav Karlsson, Joel Berndtsson, Stiven Sardaryan, William von Barnekow, Jakub Konecny, Justin Richards, Brett Murray
  • Defensemen: Shane Keohane, Albert Lyckasen, Norwin Panocha

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I think Kozak is 3 years away. But I like his game. I can see him being that, but I don’t see someone whose decided that’s his ticket to the show yet.
Yep I think Ceder wants to try to find more offense and move up as a middle 6er. Tough job with all that depth but more power to him.

Kozak is exactly 1 year away from the Sabres after he puts meat on his bones. 7th rounder with a contract and playing in the AHL in D+2. I bet the kid would go through a brick wall to make the big club.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Yep I think Ceder wants to try to find more offense and move up as a middle 6er. Tough job with all that depth but more power to him.

Kozak is exactly 1 year away from the Sabres after he puts meat on his bones. 7th rounder with a contract and playing in the AHL in D+2. I bet the kid would go through a brick wall to make the big club.

I think Kozak would do that too. But I haven’t seen if he’ll be doing that in his end or in the other team’s end. I like the kid, I just haven’t seen anything to sway me one way or the other, yet. He gained confidence this past year. I just wanna see a continuance of that before I can put him higher on my personal list.

Reactions: Matt Ress

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I think Kozak would do that too. But I haven’t seen if he’ll be doing that in his end or in the other team’s end. I like the kid, I just haven’t seen anything to sway me one way or the other, yet. He gained confidence this past year. I just wanna see a continuance of that before I can put him higher on my personal list.
He's not all put together yet. You want to see more than accidental offense, which he's shown in lower levels but also some polishing. The Sabres are in a position where they don't have to settle for broken players, especially in the bottom 6 so I'm hoping he can put more together. He's an easy kid to root for but he could be battling Ostlund for 4C in 2 years for God's sake.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Still going with Jake Richard here, for some reason I see a Travis Konecny lite element to his game and it's interesting for a 170th overall pick.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Are the people voting for Leinonen confusing him for someone else? There’s still a person who hasn’t made the poll I’d take before him

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Are the people voting for Leinonen confusing him for someone else? There’s still a person who hasn’t made the poll I’d take before him
I don't know why you would have an issue with anyone's choices at this stage of the rankings. It's complete projection. Earlier on in the poll - sure.

I wouldn't vote for Leinonen either - a bad pick that only looks worse with time. I personally would choose anyone who is furthest along in their development. But it's not like any of these guys left should be much further up than they are...

I guess the people voting for him are basing it on draft pedigree?

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Marjala/Richard/Lindgrin/McCarthy all right here for me. I feel like when I watch the first two, something about their game stands out that I can't put my finger on.

Weissbach, I have a hard time ranking at this point, seems to be 'aging in' to the AHL. He probably should find another org.

I am not being fair to Cederqvist and Huglen, but I've seen them the most and I think that type of game takes a long time to develop and it is difficult for me to gauge where they are. Both are still young, though. As far as making the NHL, they are behind the guys in the first paragraph.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad