2023 NHL draft prospects

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Gotta admit, Samuel Sisik has been going ham in Finland, with 37 points in 20 games in C now and a much more insane pace recently. And TBH, at this point I'm actually expecting him to at least get a go at B-juniors in the spring.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Gotta admit, Samuel Sisik has been going ham in Finland, with 37 points in 20 games in C now and a much more insane pace recently. And TBH, at this point I'm actually expecting him to at least get a go at B-juniors in the spring.

Yeah, some good classes are forming for 2022 and 2023.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
At this age I have barely seen any of the German prospects play and would have to rely on stat watching (and those stats are often unrelaiable) and/or really small sample sizes (like a single game).
The only player eligible for this draft that I have seen several times, and he has looked good every time, is Kevin Adam (late 2004 birthday).
But he could still into anything from 1st round pick to not being drafted at all.

I will probably come back to this thread in a year when I'll have a better idea about this draft class.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

What is the actual level of play in the Jr. C SM-sarja Q league though it looks like most of the players in this league are never really very good prospects.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
What is the actual level of play in the Jr. C SM-sarja Q league though it looks like most of the players in this league are never really very good prospects.
That's a pretty silly thing to say. Kaapo Kakko, Jesperi Kotkaniemi, Miro Heiskanen, Patrik Laine etc. all played in C SM-Sarja Q. In fact, just about every Finnish prospect has played in C SM-Sarja Q, if they played in Finland at least. You could make that exact statement about any u-16 league in Canada, too. I'd say C SM-Sarja Q is more decorated than most.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
That's a pretty silly thing to say. Kaapo Kakko, Jesperi Kotkaniemi, Miro Heiskanen, Patrik Laine etc. all played in C SM-Sarja Q. In fact, just about every Finnish prospect has played in C SM-Sarja Q, if they played in Finland at least. You could make that exact statement about any u-16 league in Canada, too. I'd say C SM-Sarja Q is more decorated than most.

Thanks for not actually answering my question.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Thanks for not actually answering my question.
Uh, question? It's the highest level of u-16 play in Finland, what else can be said about it? Well, in the fall at least. Of course, C SM in spring is stronger, but it's not like it's possible to play there right now.

My post wasn't about answering the "question", it was to address the latter half of your sentence. If you really want, you can check Finnish u-16 national team players, how that team's performed, and see how many of those players play in C-SM Q and how they do in there.

If you want a subjective view on the league, it's a mixed bag. Many of the plays are all over the place with poor passing in general, but the play's fast paced, somewhat physical and the players put a great amount of emphasis on flashy plays from my observations. Players can snap shot and one time and elevate the puck routinely. Defensive play is almost nonexistent and the main focus is on attempting things and playing unsafe, which leads to very open back and forth games and very little defending.

It's a little pointless to say this when I can't, for instance, properly relate it to a Canadian u-16 league. But I think the games tend to be fun to watch, with a ton of events.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alp

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Uh, question? It's the highest level of u-16 play in Finland, what else can be said about it? Well, in the fall at least. Of course, C SM in spring is stronger, but it's not like it's possible to play there right now.

My post wasn't about answering the "question", it was to address the latter half of your sentence. If you really want, you can check Finnish u-16 national team players, how that team's performed, and see how many of those players play in C-SM Q and how they do in there.

Thank you that answers my question as I'm not familiar with the setup in Finland and by looking at the list of leagues at Elite prospects it was the lowest.

Elite Prospects - Hockey League Pages

But by clicking on the individual leagues it does give age restrictions so that's more informative.

I'll wait to watch this prospect in a couple of years.

so one more question from the year Laine played it shows 2 different leagues in the first season for him.

what is the difference between

Jr. C SM-sarja Q and Jr. C SM-sarja?

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Thank you that answers my question as I'm not familiar with the setup in Finland and by looking at the list of leagues at Elite prospects it was the lowest.

Elite Prospects - Hockey League Pages

But by clicking on the individual leagues it does give age restrictions so that's more informative.

I'll wait to watch this prospect in a couple of years.
I see, it can be a little confusing. How it works is:

o5FvLfZ.png

Which means that in the falls there's 2 qualifiers for the C-SM(total 21 teams), and in the spring the best teams will form C-SM(total 10 teams). It means that in the spring it's a good bit stronger, but of course in the fall you cannot play there, as said. Then the worse teams go to C-SM Alempi Jatkosarja, which on the other hand is weaker than the Qs, because it has the worst teams of the Qs.

It's how it works for every Finnish league, but eliteprospects for example lumps the actual C-SM and C-SM Alempi Jatkosarja together, which is wrong and which is why I've said that eliteprospects can be misleading for Finnish prospects. Of course, for Sisik, TPS is the strongest C-SM team in Finland so he won't be going anywhere near Alempi Jatkosarja.

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
In Switerland there is some early hype for this guy:

Kimo Gruber at eliteprospects.com

Hes supposed to have great hands and an already impressive shot. I haven't seen him play personally but since there seems to be no real elite talent for Switerland in the 02 and 03 birthyears, I hope this prospects pans out. We have had a pretty bad drought in the last couple of years in that department...

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
I see, it can be a little confusing. How it works is:

o5FvLfZ.png

Which means that in the falls there's 2 qualifiers for the C-SM(total 21 teams), and in the spring the best teams will form C-SM(total 10 teams). It means that in the spring it's a good bit stronger, but of course in the fall you cannot play there, as said. Then the worse teams go to C-SM Alempi Jatkosarja, which on the other hand is weaker than the Qs, because it has the worst teams of the Qs.

It's how it works for every Finnish league, but eliteprospects for example lumps the actual C-SM and C-SM Alempi Jatkosarja together, which is wrong and which is why I've said that eliteprospects can be misleading for Finnish prospects. Of course, for Sisik, TPS is the strongest C-SM team in Finland so he won't be going anywhere near Alempi Jatkosarja.

Why to make something easy to understand, when it can be complicated.

hockeytruth

Nov 28, 2019
There are several strong players in the 2005 birth year class in southern Ontario - both in the GTHL and outside - just to name a few

Callum Ritchie - Oakville Rangers (F)
Ben Lalkin - Miss Reps (F)
Alex Weiermair - Toronto Titans (F)
Angus Macdonell - Toronto Marlies (F)
Colby Barlow - Toronto Marlies (F)
Carson Rehkopf - Junior Canadians (F)
Luke Macnamarra - Junior Canadians (F)
James Petrovski - Toronto Titans (D)
Cameron Allan - Toronto Nats (D)

Hockeylife89

Nov 27, 2019

hedin86

Nov 30, 2019
After watching the Folke Filbyter trophy and the Upplandia Trophy this year i saw some really talented players:

Dalibor Dvorsky (Linköping HC, Forward) Dalibor Dvorsky at eliteprospects.com

Borna Kopac (IFK Täby HC, Forward) Borna Kopac at eliteprospects.com

Gustav Ling (Färjestad BK, Forward) Gustav Ling at eliteprospects.com

Chris Kirschenbauer (Red Bull Salzburg, Forward) Chris Kirschenbauer at eliteprospects.com

There were many great players but theese were my favorites.

Can't say for Upplandia, but I was really impressed by this Borna Kopac on Folke Filbyter Trophy. Saw three of his games and he was dominating. Boy has really golden hands and great hockey sense. I see he is from Slovenia and playing for Täby HC. Anyone knows why he has only one game for U16?

hedin86

Nov 30, 2019
Can't say for Upplandia, but I was really impressed by this Borna Kopac on Folke Filbyter Trophy. Saw three of his games and he was dominating. Boy has really golden hands and great hockey sense. I see he is from Slovenia and playing for Täby HC. Anyone knows why he has only one game for U16?

Reactions: Kristian

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia
After watching the Folke Filbyter trophy and the Upplandia Trophy this year i saw some really talented players:

Chris Kirschenbauer (Red Bull Salzburg, Forward) Chris Kirschenbauer at eliteprospects.com

Good to see that Dalibor Dvorsky is back after last tournament when he was not so dominating. He has also been producing more points in U16 Elit recently.

The Swede

Sep 25, 2019

Can only agree, the tournaments top players. I read the comments about Dalibor and saw it myself. Not that dominant as he was in Uplandia. He´s a young guy. But so much talent. Will he be a future star? I don´t know. To early to say. Borna Kopac impressed me the most. And at the same time i´m very keen of Gustav Ling and his skills and competitiveness. And Anton Petrini (AIK). The hockey smartness of Anton impressed me a lot.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Two American players I've seen that look like good players are Hunter Brzustewicz and Charlie Stramel. Both are late birthdays that should be part of the NTDP next season. Brzustewicz is a two way defenseman with standout offensive skills, and Stramel is a big power-forward who can do some of everything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad