2023 NFL/NCAA Football thread

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I think one of his sisters also asks Tony about Jets season tickets in the famous "he never had the makings of a variety athlete" scene.

I think AJ wears Devils merch once, and Vito is a confirmed Yankees fan.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I used to love the NFL Draft, but it hasn't been the same for me since they moved to primetime since it conflicts with the NHL playoffs. Ie, the 2012 Draft was concurrent to our Game 7 OT against Florida. The Chargers bailing on San Diego hasn't helped either.

One of the factors in hockey becoming my favorite sport was the Rams and Raiders both leaving LA for the 1995 season (I grew up north of LA). I have somewhat vivid memories of watching the 1995 Draft but not so much the ones after. I rediscovered last night that the Raiders were still technically in LA for the 1995 Draft, so that might explain why I still tuned in.

That 1995 Draft was memorable. There was the OG combine star Mike Mamula. Then there was Warren Sapp's drop. The Jets unexpectedly taking Kyle Brady made Cleveland trade the next pick to San Francisco. The 49ers then took star WR J.J. Stokes and everybody was certain he was the successor to Jerry Rice. Cleveland would relocate to Baltimore after that season and used one of 49er picks to take Ray Lewis.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I used to love the NFL Draft, but it hasn't been the same for me since they moved to primetime since it conflicts with the NHL playoffs. Ie, the 2012 Draft was concurrent to our Game 7 OT against Florida. The Chargers bailing on San Diego hasn't helped either.
Could you drive to LA for a game if you wanted to? Do they still show the Chargers on TV in your market? I am surprised that the NFL moved out of SD but my guess is they will be back. The league loves California and how many teams have moved back and forth from LA? It's only a matter of time.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Could you drive to LA for a game if you wanted to? Do they still show the Chargers on TV in your market? I am surprised that the NFL moved out of SD but my guess is they will be back. The league loves California and how many teams have moved back and forth from LA? It's only a matter of time.

I could, but I'm still a little bit bitter. I went to SoFi a few weeks back for WrestleMania and was happy to go see that stadium without it being a football game. I grew up in LA and was bitter when the Raiders/Rams left in 1995 which left the door open for hockey to become my favorite sport.

Unfortunately San Diego rushed to build an MLS sized stadium where Qualcomm Stadium was, so I don't anticipate an NFL caliber stadium any time soon. They'll still show the Chargers as our de facto local team, but it's just not quite the same. When they win, I don't feel the same amount of joy. But perhaps on the bright side, when they lose I'm not nearly as bummed out. Ie, the playoff choke would have affected me much differently if they were still in San Diego. But as it was, I laughed it off.

Maybe at the peak of my fandom (late 2000s), I could name the 53 man roster and maybe had a semi-educated opinion on who the team should draft in the third round. But nowadays I can barely name the starting offensive line.

Reactions: My3Sons

lightsout

Jul 27, 2007

One of the factors in hockey becoming my favorite sport was the Rams and Raiders both leaving LA for the 1995 season (I grew up north of LA). I have somewhat vivid memories of watching the 1995 Draft but not so much the ones after. I rediscovered last night that the Raiders were still technically in LA for the 1995 Draft, so that might explain why I still tuned in.

That 1995 Draft was memorable. There was the OG combine star Mike Mamula. Then there was Warren Sapp's drop. The Jets unexpectedly taking Kyle Brady made Cleveland trade the next pick to San Francisco. The 49ers then took star WR J.J. Stokes and everybody was certain he was the successor to Jerry Rice. Cleveland would relocate to Baltimore after that season and used one of 49er picks to take Ray Lewis.

The Eagles traded their first and two seconds to Tampa to pick Mamula. Tampa used the Eagles first to select Sapp.

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010

Killer of a trade for Baltimore.

• Haha
Reactions: Clam Jensen

My3Sons

Sponsor
I could, but I'm still a little bit bitter. I went to SoFi a few weeks back for WrestleMania and was happy to go see that stadium without it being a football game. I grew up in LA and was bitter when the Raiders/Rams left in 1995 which left the door open for hockey to become my favorite sport.

Unfortunately San Diego rushed to build an MLS sized stadium where Qualcomm Stadium was, so I don't anticipate an NFL caliber stadium any time soon. They'll still show the Chargers as our de facto local team, but it's just not quite the same. When they win, I don't feel the same amount of joy. But perhaps on the bright side, when they lose I'm not nearly as bummed out. Ie, the playoff choke would have affected me much differently if they were still in San Diego. But as it was, I laughed it off.

Maybe at the peak of my fandom (late 2000s), I could name the 53 man roster and maybe had a semi-educated opinion on who the team should draft in the third round. But nowadays I can barely name the starting offensive line.
The NFL is something of a scam in my view. The refs quietly decide the games more than NBA officials.

Reactions: Clam Jensen

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego

I had that gap from 1995-2002 where I didn't follow football much, but I got back into it after I finished college and settled in San Diego. Found this article yesterday about Minnesota's gaffe at the 2003 Draft where they ran out of time and the next teams quickly jumped in and made their picks. The wrinkle I didn't know was that their owner basically ordered management to trade down in order to save money on the signing bonus. Minnesota thought they had a meager trade to drop back three spots with Baltimore but the Ravens never called the league to confirm.

In the end, Minnesota still got the guy they wanted and Kevin Williams was a solid player. But they looked like clowns to their fan base in the process.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Just because I need a break from watching Game 7 highlights.......

Re-learned an amusing NFL draft story from before my time. Minnesota made the best of a bad situation in 1985. Bruce Smith was set to go #1 to Buffalo with the top pick. Houston had the #2 pick and apparently weren't interested in Bernie Kosar because they already had Warren Moon. They wouldn't trade the pick to Cleveland since they were a division rival, so they settled on swapping #2 with Minnesota for #3 and #30.

The Vikings thought they had secured Kosar. But simultaneously, Cleveland had told Kosar's agent that he had the option not to declare for the regular draft but could wait for the supplemental draft a few months later. In which case, Cleveland worked out a deal with Buffalo for the top pick. Minnesota was understandably pissed. Houston threatened to sue the league if the trade was rescinded. NFL commish Pete Rozelle allowed Minnesota time to try to recruit Kosar, but he had his heart set on playing for his hometown team.

With the trade upheld, Minnesota wanted to draft offensive lineman Bill Fralic. But since Minnesota had the reputation of being cheap, Fralic told them he didn't want to play there. In 1983, John Elway threatened to play baseball if Baltimore drafted him. Fralic employed a similar tactic, except instead of baseball he told Minnesota that he'd become a pro wrestler in the WWF.

Minnesota eventually dealt the pick to Atlanta who'd select Fralic. In the end, Minnesota traded #3+#30 and ended up with #4+#60. They did draft future HoFer Chris Doleman at #4 though.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Some of those mid-80's drafts were wild. I couldn't imagine how bonkers the media coverage today would be. The top of the 1984 class (Reggie White, Steve Young, Mike Rozier) got snapped up by the USFL. Bo Jackson being the top pick of the 1986 Draft and refusing to sign with Tampa Bay after they screwed him out of his remaining college baseball eligibility.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Some of those mid-80's drafts were wild. I couldn't imagine how bonkers the media coverage today would be. The top of the 1984 class (Reggie White, Steve Young, Mike Rozier) got snapped up by the USFL. Bo Jackson being the top pick of the 1986 Draft and refusing to sign with Tampa Bay after they screwed him out of his remaining college baseball eligibility.
I didn’t know the inside story about that but I can’t say I blame Jackson for saying no after what TB did. Of course I also blame thr NCAA for handling everything they touch in a poor fashion.

Reactions: NJDevs26

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey

This trade is 1000% worth it from the Jets perspective at this point.

Full credit to Rodgers, he’s done everything right since he’s arrived. Hope the honeymoon phase is forever. :laugh:

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

This trade is 1000% worth it from the Jets perspective at this point.

Full credit to Rodgers, he’s done everything right since he’s arrived. Hope the honeymoon phase is forever. :laugh:

Dalvin Cook on the way soon and a pipe dream of getting his former WR1 out of Vegas.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I know Cook is still a good player, but I wouldn’t lose sleep if he didn’t end up signing here.

I think that the Jets back room has potential to be a strong weapon regardless. My only concern is if Breece will be 100% ready by Week 1, of course.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
@Zajacs Bowl Cut Cook's definitely gonna troll the Jets at this point and pick Miami last second, lol.

meh, maybe. I just found out today that he also doesn't run his own Twitter account, so everyone freaking out every time "he" likes a tweet can stop now too lol

Cook isnt a great player anymore. If Miami really wanted to go for it, they'd trade for Jonathan Taylor. f*** it.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Of course, he’s clearly using us to get more money just like Cousins and Tyreek Hill did

I mean we need to stop this as Jets fans, a 2 time MVP and future HOFer just picked them this offseason. They have more money than Miami to offer him something and you wouldn't have to worry about him twice a year. I'd pay slightly more just for that latter reason.

I know Cook is still a good player, but I wouldn’t lose sleep if he didn’t end up signing here.

I think that the Jets back room has potential to be a strong weapon regardless. My only concern is if Breece will be 100% ready by Week 1, of course.

My biggest issue is having Breece being at 100%, I would be ok with a guy who just vultures at the goal line for him to save his knees. I wanted Zeke for that role but looks like he's NE bound, wouldn't mind Hunt or Fournette for that role either. Fournette is legitimately cooked though.

meh, maybe. I just found out today that he also doesn't run his own Twitter account, so everyone freaking out every time "he" likes a tweet can stop now too lol

Cook isnt a great player anymore. If Miami really wanted to go for it, they'd trade for Jonathan Taylor. f*** it.

With that rumor that you guys inquired about Saquon, it wouldn't surprise me if they make the rounds for Taylor. But wouldn't no assets for Dalvin be better than the assets + new contract for JT?

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
I dont think we can afford JT longterm. Still gotta pay Wilkins, Holland, and a few other guys.

But after IND pays his remaining guaranteed money before a trade, JT would likely be cheaper than Dalvin in 2023. You could always tag him for 2024 but I know his main gripe is he wants a new deal. But who knows though, the Colts are an unserious franchise so maybe he just wants out of there.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I dont think we can afford JT longterm. Still gotta pay Wilkins, Holland, and a few other guys.

But after IND pays his remaining guaranteed money before a trade, JT would likely be cheaper than Dalvin in 2023. You could always tag him for 2024 but I know his main gripe is he wants a new deal. But who knows though, the Colts are an unserious franchise so maybe he just wants out of there.

Holland is a stud, would give up an arm + leg for him on the Jets. I used to think that SF run scheme didn't need a superstar to run in it but CMC made me change my mind last year even though he's a HOFer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad