2023 NCAA Division I Women's Hockey National Tournament Thread

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
It all starts today with Selection Sunday, as explained by NCAA.com ...

The 2023 NCAA women's ice hockey selection show is scheduled for Sunday, March 5 at 12 p.m. ET. You can watch it on ESPNews and ESPN+ (subscription required). Shortly after, we will have the full bracket listed right here. ...

2023 championship dates:​

• Thursday, March 9 - Sunday, March, 12: Regionals
    • Thursday, March 9 & Friday, March 10: Opening round
    • Saturday, March 11 & Sunday, March 12: Quarterfinals
  • Friday, March 17 - Sunday, March 19: Frozen Four
    • Friday, March 17: Semifinals | 3:30 p.m. and 7 p.m. ET
    • Sunday, March 19: National championship | 4 p.m. ET
All regional games will be played at sites of participating schools. The 2023 Women's Frozen Four will be played at AMSOIL Arena in Duluth, Minn. ...

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
More from NCAA.com ...

PATRICK DONNELLY | NCAA.COM | FEBRUARY 28, 2023

The NC women's hockey championship selection process, explained

The National Collegiate women's ice hockey tournament sees 11 teams in a bracket compete for a national championship.

The 2022-23 season marks the second time that the championship field features 11 teams after expanding from eight, beginning in 2022. Five teams receive automatic bids by winning their conference tournaments, while the remaining six at-large bids are selected by the committee.

Here's a full breakdown of how selections work for the NC women's ice hockey championship ...

Read more about the Automatic qualifiers & At-large bids & Tournament format at: The NC women's hockey championship selection process, explained | NCAA.com

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
No easy way to get the women's bracket from my phone to this post, but here's the NCAA.com text version ...
... Ohio State enters the tournament as the No. 1 seed and will host and play the winner of the regional semifinal on Thursday in the Ohio State Ice Rink between Quinnipiac and Penn State. Minnesota, the No. 2 seed, will host and play the winner of the regional semifinal between Minnesota Duluth and Clarkson which will be held Thursday at Ridder Arena. Colgate enters the tournament as the No. 3 seed and will match-up against the winner of Thursday’s regional semifinal between Wisconsin and LIU. Yale, the No. 4 seed, will host Northeastern, the No. 5 seed, on March 11 in a regional final. All game times will be updated and posted on NCAA.com. ...

ETA: This might help for visual learners ...

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Some light reading from ESPN.com before The Show begins ...
Women's Frozen Four 2023: Schedule, top players, how to watch

12:15 PM CT (Sunday 3/5/2023)

The NCAA women's hockey tournament field is set, and defending champion Ohio State is back as the No. 1 overall seed.

On the heels of the first national title in program history, the Buckeyes had another dominant regular season before losing to Minnesota in the WCHA tournament championship game. But the road to back-to-back titles at the Frozen Four in Duluth, Minnesota, won't be easy. Yale, Minnesota and Colgate round out the top four seeds in the 11-team field, with Northeastern, Wisconsin and Minnesota Duluth lurking as tough contenders. ...

Here's a team-by-team look at the field and five players to watch, courtesy of Kelly Pannek, who helped Minnesota win two national titles (2015 and 2016), is a two-time Olympian and member of the U.S. national team, and a PWHPA all-star. Additionally, ESPN hockey analyst Kendall Coyne, captain of Team USA at the 2022 Beijing Olympics, provides her Frozen Four picks. ...

Read more at: NCAA women's hockey tournament: Breaking down the field, top players, Frozen Four picks | ESPN

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Women’s Division I College Hockey: Wednesday Women – Talking tournament with Grant Salzano and Lindsay Glavan

By Nicole Haase-March 8, 2023

Nicole: Hey Grant and Lindsay! It’s NCAA Tournament time! There was a lot more movement in the Pairwise last weekend than I expected and we really didn’t know the tournament field or where they’d fall into the rankings until things wound down on Saturday. Clarkson made things interesting with their semifinal defeat of Yale and Penn State gave me heart palpitations when they needed overtime to win the CHA Tournament. But ultimately this is the tournament field we expected to see.

Arlan (Marttila) used to remind me that for all the fun and chaos of individual outcomes, it was still usually the same teams in the tournament. We have two teams earning their first-ever bid this year [LIU and Penn State], which is pretty great. And while I know that folks who aren’t fans of the other nine teams might be sick of them come this time of year, I think there’s something to be said about putting in a body of work all year long that makes your inclusion in the postseason a forgone conclusion.

Considering we basically knew who would and wouldn’t be in, the conference (tournaments) provided some really great games and intrigue. ...

Read more Opinions at: Women’s Division I College Hockey: Wednesday Women – Talking tournament with Grant Salzano and Lindsay Glavan | USCHO.com

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Farewell LIU ... Wisconsin got goals from 8 different scorers (senior forward Jesse Compher with 2 tallies), and the Badgers soundly defeated the Sharks 9-1 [RECAP] to eliminate the first-ever NEWHA team entry to the NCAA DI national tournament. Junior forward Sarah Rourke recorded the sole Long Island goal, while sophomore goaltender Tindra Holm logged 50 saves in the losing effort. #6 Wisconsin will face the #3 seed Colgate on Saturday afternoon, with the Raiders on Regional home ice.

Clarkson shut down ... Senior defender Taylor Stewart scored in the 1st & 3rd periods, leading Minnesota Duluth to a 2-0 first round victory over the Golden Knights [RECAP]. Graduate goalie Emma Soderberg earned the shutout for the #7 seeded Bulldogs, who move on to play down-state rival #2 Minnesota Golden Gophers in Saturday's Quarterfinals in Minneapolis.

3 OTs too much for PSU ... The most competitive First Round game ended when 1st-year forward Madison Chantler scored the winning goal @ 10:23 of the 3rd overtime period, finally giving Quinnipiac a 3-2 win over Penn State [RECAP]. The Bobcats advance to face the #1 seed & defending champion Ohio State Buckeyes in Columbus on Saturday.

The 4th Quarterfinal matchup on Saturday will be #5 Northeastern Huskies vs. #4 Yale Bulldogs, to be played @ Yale's Ingalls Rink.

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
From NCAA.com ...

8:14 AM, MARCH 11, 2023

NC women's ice hockey championship continues on Saturday with quarterfinals

The 2023 NC women's ice hockey championship continues on Saturday with quarterfinal action.

Here's a look at today's schedule [all Eastern times]:
Click or tap here for the complete interactive bracket ...

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
The 2023 DI women's Frozen Four competitors are set ...

• The Northeastern Huskies defeated the Yale Bulldogs, final score = NU 4-Yale 1 [RECAP]. Graduate left winger Chloé Aurard, graduate center Alina Mueller & graduate right winger Maureen Murphy each had 2-point games in the victory, while senior goaltender Gwyneth Philips stopped 38 of 39 Yale SOGs. The only Bulldogs goal was scored by sophomore forward Anna Bargman with just 4:38 left in the game to spoil Philips' shutout.

• The Wisconsin Badgers continued to dominate offensively in the tournament, outshooting the #3 seed & Regional host Colgate Raiders by a 35-15 margin and eliminating them by a final score of Wisconsin 4-Colgate 2 [RECAP]. Four different Badgers scored in the game to repeat the team's balanced offense from their previous 9-1 tourney win over Long Island U. For the Raiders, senior defender Allyson Simpson tied the game @ 1-1 late in the 2nd period, and junior left winger Kristýna Kaltounková scored with just 9 seconds left in the 3rd.

• The All-Minnesota Regionals matchup was won by the #2 seed Minnesota Golden Gophers over the UM-Duluth Bulldogs, with the final score = Minnesota 3-UMD 0 [RECAP]. Gophers sophomore goalie Skylar Vetter registered the shutout with 30 saves, while junior defender Madeline Wethington recorded the unassisted GWG @ 9:21 of the middle frame.

• And in the nightcap of the women's Regionals, the #1 seed & defending national champions Ohio State Buckeyes fell behind the Quinnipiac Bobcats wih about a minute remaining in the 1st period but then scored 4 goals of their own (the first two unassisted) in the second & third periods to take over the game. The final score was OSU 5-QU 2 [RECAP]. Buckeyes junior goalie Amanda Thiele stopped 21 of 23 Bobcats SOGs for the victory, while Quinnipiac graduate netminder Logan Angers recorded 39 saves in the loss.

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Women’s Division I College Hockey: Why each Frozen Four team will win – or lose – the title

By Nicole Haase-March 16, 2023

DULUTH — With three of the four teams coming out of the WCHA (who I see play more often than other conferences by virtue of my living in Milwaukee and writing about women’s hockey not being lucrative enough to allow me to travel all over for games) I have been writing previews of these teams and how they match up against each other since the beginning of February.

So instead of rehashing all the recent meetings and how they all compare to each other, I thought it might be more fun to make the argument for – and against – why each of these four teams will win the National Championship on Sunday. ...

Read more at: Women’s Division I College Hockey: Why each Frozen Four team will win – or lose – the title | USCHO-Haase

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
End of one period in the women's national championship game in Duluth, and Wisconsin leads the defending champs OSU 1-0. Freshman forward Kirsten Simms with the opening goal. Badgers D very solid, and redshirt senior goalie Cami Kronish seeing the puck well. OSU will start the 2nd shorthanded for a brief time.

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Still 1-0 Badgers after two periods. Wisconsin have taken over the offensive flow with strong pressure in all 3 zones. OSU head coach Nadine Muzerall is chewing her gum with the foil wrappers on. :rant:

Last edited:
Reactions: adsfan

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
The Wisconsin Bagers are the 2023 National Champions. Final score = Wisconsin 1 - Ohio State 0. Helluva hockey game!
The Badgers Women's team won their 7th NCAA title to be one up on Minnesota!

It was a strong effort in periods 2 and 3, plus the SO by Kronish.

I saw Laila Edwards play at the World U-18 in Madison last summer. At 6'2", she is easy to spot on the ice!

Reactions: JMCx4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad