2023 Milt Dunnell Cup Final: Saskatoon Sheiks vs Nova Scotia Voyageurs

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Saskatoon Sheiks (@ImporterExporter)

Coach: Toe Blake

Michel Goulet - Phil Esposito - Gordie Howe (A)
Syd Howe - Nels Stewart - Nikita Kucherov
Gordon Roberts - Gilbert Perreault - Joe Mullen
Tony Leswick - Derek Sanderson - Phil Watson
Floyd Curry, Phil Goyette

Sprague Cleghorn (A) -Eddie Gerard (C)
Babe Siebert (A) - Bill Gadsby
Doug Wilson - Neil Colville
Terry Harper

Bernie Parent
Andrei Vasilevsky

Power Play 1 (1-3-1):

Net (1) - Nels Stewart
Left wall (3) - Gordie Howe
Slot (3) - Phil Esposito
Right wall (3) - Nikita Kucherov
Point (1) - Doug Wilson

Power Play 2 (3-2):

Net/Slot - Gordon Roberts
Left wall - Syd Howe
Right wall - Gilbert Perreault
Left point - Bill Gadsby
Right point - Sprague Cleghorn

Penalty Kill 1:

Derek Sanderson - Neil Colville
Sprague Cleghorn - Eddie Gerard

Penalty Kill 2:

Phil Watson - Tony Leswick
Babe Siebert - Bill Gadsby

Original roster post: ATD 2023 Roster Thread

Nova Scotia Voyageurs (@Habsfan18 & @Transplanted Caper)

Head Coach: Hap Day

Sweeney Schriner-Stan Mikita (A)-Bernie Geoffrion
Roy Conacher-Peter Forsberg-Larry Aurie
Bob Gainey (C)-Dave Keon-Dirk Graham
Zach Parise-Mats Sundin-Tim Kerr
Blair Russell, Milan Novy

Larry Robinson (A)-Serge Savard
Guy Lapointe-Vladimir Konstantinov
Gus Mortson-Kevin Hatcher
Moose Vasko

Johnny Bower
Roy Worters

Power Play 1:
Schriner - Mikita - Forsberg
Geoffrion - Lapointe

Power Play 2:
Conacher - Sundin - Kerr
Hatcher - Robinson

Penalty Kill 1:
Gainey - Keon
Robinson - Savard

Penalty Kill 2:
Graham - Aurie
Lapointe - Konstantinov

Original roster post: ATD 2023 Roster Thread

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Edit: my apologies on the format and how a huge chunk of it came out bolded. I’m posting from my phone and now that it’s posted it’s not as simple to edit and remove.

Congratulations to @ImporterExporter on making it to another ATD final. You built a solid team. I hope you’re doing well and hope you can stop in briefly, but if not I understand completely. We’ve all been pretty busy with real life, as you can tell by the lack of activity.

The Voyageurs prize for dispatching and surviving battles against clubs lead by Martin Brodeur, Mario Lemieux and then Wayne Gretzky….a date with Gordie Howe’s team coached by Toe Blake, of course!

Just like in the other series, it certainly won’t be easy, but again we feel like this Hap Day coached club is properly built to limit the effectiveness of opposing star players, and the entire top scoring line altogether. Of course that’s easier said than done, and you can never stop the offensive attack completely, but limiting it is something we feel this club would be very good at. Get the lead, make life miserable for the opponents, shut ‘er down, victory. At least on the surface that’s the plan! And like i’ve stated before, we feel we have the offensive chops as well. This isn’t purely a defensive club. We’re very well rounded, at least in our minds.

The Big 3 and our defense overall

We feel the trio of Larry Robinson, Serge Savard, and Guy Lapointe are a big reason as to why we’ve been able to make it this far. We’ll continue to lean on the strengths of this real-life dynasty trio to log important minutes in all situations. Alongside Vlad Konstantinov, who completes the top-4, these two pairings have the ability to shut you down defensively, keep you honest physically, and contribute quite strongly to the Voyageurs offensive attack, both at regular strength and on special teams. Robinson and Savard compliment each other extremely well, and Konstantinov is the perfect partner for Lapointe. Add in Mortson and Hatcher on the bottom pair, and that’s just a nasty defense that isn’t fun to play against and who can make you pay in many ways.

Our elite shutdown checking trio

Bob Gainey - Dave Keon - Dirk Graham. In our opinion, it’s the most difficult line to play against in the league this year. Hap Day is thrilled to be able to deploy this line, whenever necessary, to shutdown the opposition. Let’s remember that this trio has successfully limited the attack of opponents such as Gretzky, Lemieux and Makarov already in these playoffs. They’ll now be tasked with shadowing, situationally, the Gordie Howe line with Phil Esposito as his center. Ideally, there won’t be as much room out there as Gordie and Phil would typically like, and if there’s a trio who can get them off their game and frustrate them, we believe it’s this line. Bob Gainey, who Viktor Tikhonov once called the greatest all-around player he had ever seen, will be lined up against Gordie on the same side of the ice. Again, this is only situationally, as we feel the Mikita line can and will go toe to toe with the Sheiks top trio offensively.

The all-around play of the Voyageurs group of forwards

As previously stated, while we’ll never be mistaken for a free-wheeling firewagon run and gun offensive attack, this is a club who we feel should not be slept on offensively either. On the surface it’s a Hap Day-lead club with a strong two-way identity, but when looking at our offensive attack and how we’ve built our lines..I think we can certainly generate enough offense to win games, while also having that strong defensive identity and shutdown ability as a whole to ensure we won’t have to get into these crazy back and forth offensive battles. This is a club with 7-year VsX totals of 107.8 (Mikita), 91.3 (Schriner), 90.3 (Forsberg), 89.9 (Geoffrion), and 85.2 (Conacher) in the top-6. And while we can’t compete with the impressive scores for Howe and Esposito, we feel we can still compete with them to stay in the games offensively while letting our overall defensive abilities do their thing, so to speak. We have two hard-working warriors who wear their hearts on their sleeve in Stan Mikita and Peter Forsberg down the middle. Both solid playmakers with strong two-way abilities. We’ve given them offensive weapons with dangerous sniping abilities in Bernie Geoffrion, Sweeney Schriner, and Roy Conacher. Players who have proven to be able to win scoring titles. Larry Aurie, who shouldn’t be forgotten, might be the perfect fit for a Hap Day team. Simple concept perhaps, with playmaking centers and scoring wingers. But it’s two lines that we feel, as a whole, simply work.

Special teams

Schriner - Mikita - Forsberg - Geoffrion - Lapointe. This PP group gives us confidence each time they’d be sent out there. The vision of Forsberg, the scoring abilities of Lapointe, Mikita and Schriner, and the booming point shot of Geoffrion. That’s a whole unit of players who will make you pay. Bernie will have his work cut out for him. The 2nd trio? Kerr, one of the biggest PP weapons ever, a big time scorer with a big time shot in Conacher, a big net front presence in Sundin. And on the point? The towering duo with big point shots in Larry Robinson and Kevin Hatcher.

The PK. Gainey, Keon, Graham and Aurie give us the utmost confidence in attempting to shut down the opposition. We’re certainly glad we have this group when looking at the PP of the Sheiks. Add in Robinson-Savard and Lapointe-Konstantinov and you can see why the Voyageurs and Hap Day aren’t sweating TOO much when down a man despite the Sheiks absolutely having weapons of their own. We feel like if there’s a PK in the league who can survive the Sheiks PP, it’s the Voyageurs.

In conclusion

We feel we have our work cut out for us. Our opponents have offensive firepower, elite coaching and a strong playoff goaltender. So it sounds like we have an uphill battle..right? But let’s remember that the Voyageurs are a club built specifically to win these kinds of series. Our coach is a big time winner in his own right who has been given a club that works VERY well in his system. It’s a club that can do everything in its power to limit the strengths of the opposition.

It’s a club who may be viewed as an underdog, but one that has already successfully defeated some of the biggest stars in the history of the game. Why does it have to stop here? When you look at the overall picture I ask, why can’t the Voyageurs, meticulously built like they are, win this whole damn thing?

Last edited:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
This series comes down to a fundamental question: Can Gainey contain Howe?

The trio of dmen will have to focus on the monster centers.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
This series comes down to a fundamental question: Can Gainey contain Howe?

The trio of dmen will have to focus on the monster centers.

You could very well be right, Van. Easier said than done, but if there’s a checker capable of doing so, and at least limiting his impact, I’m liking Gainey’s chances.

Keon, I think, is also a very solid option to have on Esposito.

As i’ve stated, Howe and Esposito will want their time and space. I’m not sure the checking trio of Gainey - Keon - Graham will give them much. Hap Day, especially in this series, is grateful to be able to send them over the boards whenever necessary. Let’s remember that this is a trio that has already played a big role in effectively keeping Lemieux and then Gretzky at bay.

Keep in mind that Day could also swap Forsberg and Keon if a situation ever called for it. Forsberg on Esposito is another matchup I think he’d like.

Last edited:

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
You could very well be right, Van. Easier said than done, but if there’s a checker capable of doing so, and at least limiting his impact, I’m liking Gainey’s chances.

Keon, I think, is also a very solid option to have on Esposito.

As i’ve stated, Howe and Esposito will want their time and space. I’m not sure the checking trio of Gainey - Keon - Graham will give them much. Hap Day, especially in this series, is grateful to be able to send them over the boards whenever necessary. Let’s remember that this is a trio that has already played a big role in effectively keeping Lemieux and then Gretzky at bay.

Keep in mind that Day could also swap Forsberg and Keon if a situation ever called for it. Forsberg on Esposito is another matchup I think he’d like.

No fault of his own and I can't find the quote at the moment, but I do recall Keon admitting he had trouble with players that outmatched him in size (Beliveau, Esposito etc.)

Keon's skating and engine helped him shut down more fluid players in transition and on the rush much more easily than players that could out-muscle him.

Having a guy like Gainey on the line would no doubt help but he's not matched up as a winger, either.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
No fault of his own and I can't find the quote at the moment, but I do recall Keon admitting he had trouble with players that outmatched him in size (Beliveau, Esposito etc.)

Keon's skating and engine helped him shut down more fluid players in transition and on the rush much more easily than players that could out-muscle him.

Having a guy like Gainey on the line would no doubt help but he's not matched up as a winger, either.

Gainey (LW) will technically be matched up on Howe’s (RW) side of the ice.

If you mean down the middle, Day could always swap Keon for Forsberg if he’s having trouble containing Espo.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Reminder pms sent out to GM's except the 3 GM's in the final and @Hitru who I still can't pm and of course me. Hope I didn't miss anyone but reminder to everyone to vote by this Thursday at 12 PM EST,

Reactions: Habsfan18

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Congrats to two very deserving winners.

Thank you! It’s a great feeling, although I feel like it wasn’t a typical road to the title compared to the other champs of the past decade considering activity was pretty much non-existent in terms of debates. Regardless, the Voyageurs still go into the record books as the 2023 Milt Dunnell champions. And I’m proud of the team my co-GM and I built.

I think that lineup is a worthy champion, although I understand not everyone will agree with that. There were a lot of strong teams on paper this year.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
I've only been following this out of the corner of my eye the last several weeks. I'm relieved to discover that (on this occasion) my vote would have been immaterial to the final result.

Well-deserved congratulations to Nova Scotia.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I've only been following this out of the corner of my eye the last several weeks. I'm relieved to discover that (on this occasion) my vote would have been immaterial to the final result.

Well-deserved congratulations to Nova Scotia.

Thank you! I hope to see you around these parts next year as well, CTP. The ATD is certainly better off with your participation.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Congrats to both @Habsfan18 and @transplaned caper ! Seriously, a deserved winner, somehow reuniting the Montreal big 3 in a no trade draft was masterful. Obviously some luck involved with the board falling as it did, but regardless, a feat that should be celebrated!

I wish I had been able to participate but life was far to hectic and my new work schedule made it almost literally impossible. And honestly, I don't think any short/long winded points/counterpoints would have swayed enough voters towards Saskatoon.

At the end of the day, the best team won IMO and I"m just happy and appreciative to those who though my team worthy enough of making it to the finals!

Thanks to @tony d for taking the lead in my absence!

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Congrats to both @Habsfan18 and @transplaned caper ! Seriously, a deserved winner, somehow reuniting the Montreal big 3 in a no trade draft was masterful. Obviously some luck involved with the board falling as it did, but regardless, a feat that should be celebrated!

I wish I had been able to participate but life was far to hectic and my new work schedule made it almost literally impossible. And honestly, I don't think any short/long winded points/counterpoints would have swayed enough voters towards Saskatoon.

At the end of the day, the best team won IMO and I"m just happy and appreciative to those who though my team worthy enough of making it to the finals!

Thanks to @tony d for taking the lead in my absence!

Thanks, IE! You built a hell of a team, as per usual. I hope things have settled down a bit for you in real life, as I know you’ve had a pretty hectic past few months. Hopefully you’re doing well and that you’ll be good to go for ATD 2024. PM any time you want to chat. You’ve mentioned anxiety in the past, and if anyone understands that sort of stuff it’s me. Trust me. I deal with it myself on a daily basis.

Cheers, buddy.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad